Female 

03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Just sending POSITIVE Vibes to Moss xxxxx

from the Gang xxx
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Only just caught this hon, I'm so sorry, positive thoughts for Moss from me and my lot xxxx
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Oh I don't like the sound of that (bold bit) ... is that really the case? That vetmedin hasn't ever helped a dog live for years? I know the condition is a very individual thing, so surely some dogs do live for years?? (Here's hoping anyway!).
Unfortunately, not in my experience. Now if a dog is diagnosed prior to a "crisis" maybe, but once the heart decompensates, its a whole new ballgame.

Example. My kitten has a heart defect that we caught early and by chance. He is on Pimobendan (Vetmedin) But even prior to starting the drug, his heart was still compensating for the defect, i.e. he had no symptoms. There is a chance he could live a year or years, maybe. But the minute he goes into crisis and his heart actually "fails" (decompensates) his life expectancy gets drastically shorter.

The sad thing about CHF is most dogs/cats aren't diagnosed until they are in crisis. Its a blessing and curse that their bodies are so good at hiding problems.

Sorry its not better news. Certainly hoping that Moss beats the norm.

BTW, its not exclusive to older animals by any means. My kitten was diagnosed at 6 months and we say a 6 1/2 year old Shar Pei come in in acute crisis on Saturday, so it can happen at any age.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Kaycee was one of the first dogs in the UK to go onto Vetmedin-it gave him at least 3 1/2 years of "normal"Kaycee life.

It was developed for Dobermanns & GSDs in Germany orginally.
Just wanted to add, Pickles also lived for 2-3 years (can't remember exactly) on his heart meds. The one I couldn't remember the name of was Benazecare, it's an ACE inhibitor and might help your Moss if not already on it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Hoping Moss is still bright today.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Unfortunately there is a heartbreaking update. My lovely Moss was put to sleep this morning, and I am devastated

He had a couple of decent days on the medication before starting to go back downhill again. His cough returned, he couldn't lie down or get comfortable and his heart was banging away in his chest most unnaturally.

I spent the last couple of nights sitting up with him, and tried to catch a few hours of sleep here and there, but was terrified he would die while I was sleeping Last night he couldn't even lie down for more than a few seconds at a time, as he clearly found it uncomfortable.

The vet this morning said he had a massive amount of fluid on his lungs and, even though she could try to give him a jag that would remove the fluid, we would be back in the same position in a couple of days time. The poor lad was worn out and I felt he was starting to suffer, so I made the distressing and heartbreaking decision to let him go

I can't yet imagine what my life will be like without him, as he has been my constant companion for the past (nearly) six years. I don't really want to think how much poorer it will be for his not being in it, but I just have to try and console myself with the fact that he had a wonderful life, was much loved and will be badly missed and never forgotten.

Sleep tight Mossy - I love and miss you xxx

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm so sorry Kirsty
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2011, 10:11 PM
So sorry xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm so sorry to read this Kirsty, when I first saw the thread it saddened me to think he had the same as Leon, and he only lasted a few weeks after diagnoses, he also had fluid in the lungs and abdomen due to left side heart failure...there would have been nothing you could do for your darling boy to get him through this.

My heart goes out to you, he was far too young to go to the bridge.

Run free sweet Moss xxx
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 10:40 PM
So sorry
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »