Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2008, 03:31 PM

car harness for puppy

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a car harness for my puppy when he's in my smaller car (Toyota Yaris hatchback). I thought of getting him a crate or dog bars for the estate care (which is hubbie's and I use less). My dog is a large breed and so will grow, but I need something to secure him in the yaris with me on short trips.

Any tips on the harness?

Guess I'll have to get one for a small dog and then size up.

Thanks

louise
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 05:07 PM
hi hun if you go to P@H they have a great loy and they will help you find the right one and show you how to attach in the car. There are lots out there, good luck if i can help i will i could always meet you there and see what we can get if you want just ask i am here any time. good luck

sam xx
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Sam,

I see we're almost neighbours! I didn't know if the pets at home offerings would be any good, but then I guess he needs one that won't have to do him long anyway with him growing.
Thanks for the offer of meeting up. Nice to meet local doggie people. He's not had his final jabs yet, so still at the carrying or keep him in stage. Getting him vaccinated Monday, so then we just have to wait in a little longer after that.

I was thinking of getting one of those back seat hammock things too, which would keep back seats dry and give him something comfy to lie on.

Lou
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 06:03 PM
thats cool just let me now when you are ready and we can take it from there no problems.
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Sam,

Thanks. Other advice I'm getting from large breed owners say that I might be better with a cage than a harness as in an accident dog would be like an elephant in the car!

Lou
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 08:19 AM
a crate is always the best i have one in my car but i also use a harness. if you can fit a crate in your car then i would say get one. If you cant the a harness is the next best thing i used a harness to get the pups used to car first then moved upto a crate.
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2008, 11:49 AM
I think for short trips and so not to confuse my crate training in the house, where I'm still at the stage of shaping him in for longer periods using clicker training, I might be better using a harness initially and then find a crate. He's only small now after all. There seem to be a lot of crates for the car on the market and looks like quite a bit of research to get the right one. But a crate seems the way to go when he's bigger.

Thanks for advice.

Louise
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:22 PM
i think thats the best move hun, when he is fully grown i can help you get the crate as i use them so o problems there hun. good luck with the jab tom wont be long and hope we can meet...
Londonlou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2008, 05:27 PM
sooooooo looking forward to getting out!

Lou
x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 06:14 PM
i bet you are and i am sure my doglets would love to play with your baby, when he is covered hun. Carlsberg has just had his plums removed and is resting but will ready for play when your baby is...lol