Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Any river bed will do - they will generally live there and not bother anyone afaik
The pest control guy I spoke to yesterday (regarding our rat problem) says that a healthy rats territory is up to 3 miles wide - that is what they will usually travel in day...

Technically if you trap a rat, you have to destroy it, as they are vermin, though. You could get into trouble for trapping and releasing (is what I was told yesterday).
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
The pest control guy I spoke to yesterday (regarding our rat problem) says that a healthy rats territory is up to 3 miles wide - that is what they will usually travel in day...

Technically if you trap a rat, you have to destroy it, as they are vermin, though. You could get into trouble for trapping and releasing (is what I was told yesterday).
Worst rat problem i've ever seen is on a farm i go on where they have feeding hoppers for the pheasants.The rats were literally about 18" deep in a huge pyramid shape trying to get to the grain in the barrel above.In the end it took many sessions with terriers,poison and shooting to get them under control.Even when we moved the feeding hopper they remained.

I think some people underestimate how dangerous wild rats are with the diseases they carry-weils disease being the most infamous.Anyone who thinks they should be relocated is seriously misguided.These are pest no1.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 02:14 PM
How'd you cope Steve with poison as bait when using dogs?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
We're using a grain based poison on site here which is safe for the hens/ducks and dogs....

Plus, our dogs don't eat what they catch - they bring it to me.....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Worst rat problem i've ever seen is on a farm i go on where they have feeding hoppers for the pheasants.The rats were literally about 18" deep in a huge pyramid shape trying to get to the grain in the barrel above.In the end it took many sessions with terriers,poison and shooting to get them under control.Even when we moved the feeding hopper they remained.

I think some people underestimate how dangerous wild rats are with the diseases they carry-weils disease being the most infamous.Anyone who thinks they should be relocated is seriously misguided.These are pest no1.
I often wonder if the human race would still be in existence today if we had adopted the "hugatree" attitude (no offence intended!) in the early days of our evolution, that many seem to have these days?

It's a lovely thought that you can go through life never harming anything, but there are animals that have to be controlled for health and safety reasons.

How many people would adopt such a passive attitude if rabbits were left uncontrolled and decimated crops leaving people starving to death? An interesting thought.....
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Like Iso mentioned-its grain based poison so dogs are not intrested in it Velvet.Its literally wheat coated in bright blue poison,but have to be careful so birds dont have access to it.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I often wonder if the human race would still be in existence today if we had adopted the "hugatree" attitude (no offence intended!) in the early days of our evolution, that many seem to have these days?

It's a lovely thought that you can go through life never harming anything, but there are animals that have to be controlled for health and safety reasons.

How many people would adopt such a passive attitude if rabbits were left uncontrolled and decimated crops leaving people starving to death? An interesting thought.....
You're right Rips.If we want to eat the proceeds of cereal/root crops then you cant get sentimental about pest control because it has to continue.I've seen a 10 acre field stripped almost bare of rapeseed by rabbits and woodpigeon to the extent it looked like it was ready for drilling.Like wise crows cause terrible damage to barley (they walk into the crop with their wings outstretched flattenening it-then the woodpigeon come in!).

With regards to rabbits-landowners/occupiers etc are legally obliged to control their population and we all know how they breed.Woodpigeon nest upto 3 times a year so they all need controlling.
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
We have hens - 6 of them - we live out in the country and are surrounded by fields - i'm no 'bunny/tree' hugger but i personally wouldnt kill a fox. My husband and i both shoot, but again, have never shot a fox. I figure that if a fox gets my hens then i have made the mistake of not making their area secure enough. I take precautions like leaving the dogs out (especially the Border Terrier!) in the spring/summer - when, i say 'out' the patio doors are open and the dogs can come/go as they please, when we are in...if we are out - the hens are in a locked, double wired walk in run - until we return and they can be let out again.

I have hand reared many cubs over the years (rural foxes) and have sat for many hours studying their behaviour at den sites - so i have a great love for foxes. On the flip side, i do understand why they need to be shot to keep the numbers down, i just personally wouldnt shoot one.

We have a dog and vixen who live about 1/3 mile away as the crow flies - (they mooch around the garden/lane and the fields) from October until the Spring we throw down bird carcasses for them - the bits from the birds that we dont eat - they are very shy being rural foxes and make no attempt to enter the garden if the dogs are out. Of course, i am always cautious - but live and let live in my book when it comes to foxes.

Rats...i hate no problem killing rats - we get weekly calls from farms/stables to 'rent' Holly (PRT) who makes short work of their rat population.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Think wild mice are worse or as bad. We have rocks over the road & always rodents at/near the sea. The council come out periodically to lay bait between the rocks.

I had awful problems with mice until i bought one of those sonic deterrents. They cant stand tge high pitched noise & go away. It works on all rodents. Of course it wouldnt take you to have any as pets but its amazingly effective. Weve even seen a reduction in insects such as spiders, flies etc. I cant believe how effective its been. Works everywhere there is an electric current & as we have outside lighting to the garden, gives a decent wide area free of pests.

I dont know why more folk dont use them
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Think wild mice are worse or as bad. We have rocks over the road & always rodents at/near the sea. The council come out periodically to lay bait between the rocks.

I had awful problems with mice until i bought one of those sonic deterrents. They cant stand tge high pitched noise & go away. It works on all rodents. Of course it wouldnt take you to have any as pets but its amazingly effective. Weve even seen a reduction in insects such as spiders, flies etc. I cant believe how effective its been. Works everywhere there is an electric current & as we have outside lighting to the garden, gives a decent wide area free of pests.

I dont know why more folk dont use them
Im aware of these devices Velvet,but all they do is move the problem onto someone else.I know some people cannot stomach killing or even authorising it,but somethings need to be done.I still think rats are the biggest pest even though mice cause more damage to property.

If you ever find a hole from a mouse or rat-stuff it full of wire wool.Rodents can chew there way through timber,masonry etc,but will absolutely avoid wire wool.Try rubbing a small piece on your teeth and you'll understand why they wont touch it!
Page 11 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >