View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 05:26 PM
One thing I would say is that when I had a really fussy dog that would turn his nose up at anything even chicken is that when we got a 2nd dog he changed and would eat absolutely anything! After that I would never pander to a fussy dog again I'm afraid.

As long as you are feeding a good quality food they should eat if they are hungry.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Like others have said, dogs eat more based on what the food smells like as opposed to what it actually tastes like.

I've read many times that dogs prefer slightly warmer, moist food so perhaps add some warm water to the kibble, let it soak for a few minutes and then feed. It apparantly brings out the aromas of the kibble too.

I dont pander to fussy dogs i'm afraid neither. Mine get fed raw so there isnt much they wont eat but Jed is the fussiest. He will turn his nose up at organ meat and eat other things after lots of messing about. In this house, if they walk away from their food it's taken that they dont want it and I allow another dog to clean up. They wont get offered anything else and will have to wait until the next meal.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm with Leanne on this one, Jamie was incredibly fussy, but now if he turns his nose up, he goes without... I don't think a healthy dog would deliberately go hungry... but then I do feed raw and they love it!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I'm with Leanne on this one, Jamie was incredibly fussy, but now if he turns his nose up, he goes without... I don't think a healthy dog would deliberately go hungry... but then I do feed raw and they love it!!
My Sister's dog Lily is a Bichon Frise and she doesn't eat her dog food. When I went round with Parker (Cherry has an ASBO from my Sister's) he looked at the food in her dish on the floor and wouldn't touch it! Never, ever known him turn down free food before! What was it? -Baker's!

I'm sure if she stayed with us she would learn to eat her dinner (I do home-cooked dog food) or Cherry or Parker would eat it for her!
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2010, 09:39 AM
We feed Arden Grange kibble and usually buy a big 15kg bag (cheaper) of one variety and then buy a couple of 2kg bags of other flavours and put a bit from each into each meal.

We also add a small amount of Naturediet to each meal daily too. I know dogs don't have as many taste buds as us, but I like to give Storm different types of meat, so that he doesn't miss out on the various amino acids each meat gives.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2