Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Hello

This is my first post and just wanted to add my opinion.

I agree with most of the comments above.
Despite there being warnings to "seek professional advice" (particulary on the Dog Whisperer show) I doubt many people actually do when they make the use a air/ prong/ electric collars look so simple and these types of "tools" are so readily available. I imagine there are many dogs out there being subjected to these types of training devises by owners who don't know any better but should . Chances are the dog isn't doing anything so terrible anyway.

I also feel that some of these shows don't get to the root of why the dog is displaying these bad behaviours and so seem to plaster over it somewhat.

Having said that, I do enjoy It's me or the Dog, I feel her approach is much calmer and kinder and she tries to understand and show the owners life from a dogs point of view.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Spettadog - agree entirely couldn't have put it better myself!!

JanieM I agree - I actually quite like Its Me or The Dog but I'm confident enough to disregard parts of the programme that I disagree with.
She's still focussed on pack hierarchies quite a bit BUT I like the way she says 'look this is what your dog sees' and shows how bloody terrifying life for a dog can be.

I agree with the other comments about a show for general dog training - wouldn't like to be in charge of it, but yes - I think the GP need educating about how to prevent problems - not how to cure them.

Why do the GP need to know how to 'cure' problem behaviours anyway?! By all means teach them what every dog owner needs to know in how to prevent problem behaviours occurring but if problem behaviour do occur, you go see someone!

It's like people watching a medical documentary and deciding they know how to do CPR and self diagnosis and never bother to call an ambulance when a family member stops breathing!!
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2008, 04:49 PM
LOL I like that analogy!!!!! I certainly wouldnt be trying to give anybody else the kiss of life. I'd kill them!!!!

No, seriously, I agree with absolutely everything you are saying and think out of all of them VS is the better and I do quite like Mic Martin because he uses a dog's natural abilities to redirect their behaviour. Again, though, all based on pack hierarchy and that worries me because the GP cant seem to see past that.

I like it when VS lets the owners see what the dog thinks. IMV at least she is making an effort on behalf of the dog - and not just the owners.

Kind regards
Spettadog
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 04:55 PM
The trouble with all the programmes mentioned is that they take on extreme dogs with extreme behaviours...then the GP copy the methods (which are for extreme behaviours) for their little Fido that occassionally doesn't like other dogs sniffing him, or will sometimes pull on the lead...

A general dog training programme would be so much better...how to teach basics, but it wouldn't make for good tv would it.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I think a good training programme to teach from puppy hood would be a good way to go as so many people get's mixed message's, when seeing behavioral problem's corrected.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, they do get some of the basics across to people that seem completely ignorant of this type of thing (e.g. like dogs needed regular exercise and mental stimulation) and that IMO has to be a good thing.

on the other hand, I hate the way people blindly follow any of these training methods, particularly when they probably don't follow it exactly.
Do you notice also how the owners that seem to try out the bits that say (or should say) "don't try this at home" are often the same owners that don't try out the whole regular exercise and mental stimulation advice?
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Why do we have to tell people again and again why its wrong.
Maybe because you haven't produced confincing evidence that you're right? I'm not saying you're wrong, but for everyone that's 100% certain it's wrong there seems to be someone else that's 100% certain that it's right. Until the hard evidence is produced people will just go with what they feel works best for them and their dogs.

There was a thread recently where some people were frightening puppy owners with dire warnings that their pets would develop bone and joint disorders if they exercised them for more than 5 minutes for each month of life. You'll find this advice plastered all over the internet and it's passed on by many breaders and dog trainers. It's often cited as being 'common knowledge', and people that don't follow the advice are often accused of cruelty (not necessarily here, but on the internet in general). Yet many people (including me) have been told by vets that it's a complete myth and that it's bad for dogs to follow this advice. How much damage has things like that done to puppies development? I would say that this kind of thing is more damaging than a TV show. So should these forums (and other doggie websites) be closed down because some people give out bad advise without having the knowledge or training to know what they're talking about? I say no!! The onus is on the individual to do their homework and find what's best for their dog from many sources (not least their vets!). If you must legislate to cater for idiots then best to make people sit an IQ test before being allowed to own a dog, train a dog or breed a dog. It's wrong to control the information that's made available to the general public simply because some people - or even most people - don't agree with it.

A TV program is probably a safer bet than a website or discussion forum simply because if advise is given out that is proven to be wrong (not just believed to be wrong), then it's more likely that people will hear about it. If a dog show gives out advise that's known (proven) to be wrong I'm sure there are steps you can take to force the TV channel to do an independent investigation, and if the show is found to have given incorrect advice, to publish a statement to that effect. Has anyone investigated doing that?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Dogie programmes would be good, this sort of behavoiural rubbish is just that.

I watch it because i like watching dogs, but there could be so much more to show.

Everyday Dogcare & day to day training would be a good starter educationally so people learn how to bring up a dog correctly, then we may not have to have these self proclaimed experts trying to patch everthing up (whilst making a buck out of dogs misery!)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The trouble with all the programmes mentioned is that they take on extreme dogs with extreme behaviours...then the GP copy the methods (which are for extreme behaviours) for their little Fido that occassionally doesn't like other dogs sniffing him, or will sometimes pull on the lead...
I think that's the problem, a lot of the dogs on the programs are "extreme" cases, and only a few of the training tactics can/should be used on "normal" dogs...

For instance, Mic Martin's technique, for when dogs pull, of making a loop with the lead and changing direction, can be used quite effectively by the GP without much fuss, and probably with a good result (unless you have Boxers, who think it's all a game).

However, things like training discs, rattle bottles, squirty bottles are a nightmare for the GP, as you've demonstrated Lottie. The use of them has to be so precise, that I suspect most of the GP get it wrong, and can't work out why the dog is still being "naughty".

JanieM is right in saying that a lot of the time, the root of the problem is never explored, although I have noticed a bit more of this recently.

What worries me more is on these shows, a lot of the time, the dog is bored, or under-excercised, or fed wrongly etc. If the GP can't meet basic needs such as this, they shouldn't really own a dog (gosh, watch me on my soapbox now!!)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Most of the programmes, I dislike because they give the general public the idea that there are all these quick fixes. There usually aren't, (depending on the problem).

I did like Victoria's programme, she was in the main very good after her first series (which I wasn't so keen on).

The rest are far more for entertainment than education...
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >