Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by charliegirl1 View Post
I love your humour it isnt unlike my own but mine isnt appreciated well certainly not from my kids, even though there humour leaves me scratching my head, oh well enough of that. I laughed at first when you said I must first teach her to heel, eh shes 8 years old now and heel isnt in her vocabulary, maybe its me they need to train not my intelligent little dog.

Well that does rather lead us back to what SB mentioned - Dog Aid where they train the dog and the owner!

Now .. SIT! and do NOT get up again until I say so! lol!
And no - you can't have the computer all the time!

*and you are now responsible for me wanting to hunt down and kill some people who are only concerned with how wheelchair bound dog owners can pick up dog poo.

Geez - most of the fully able dog owners I come across don't blerdy bother. I'd happily pick it up for anyone in a wheelchair or mobility vehicle.
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I also read that about the dog prefering to walk on the left side of you, funny that as I was walking her on the right cause that meant she had some grass area next to her instead of a wall or fence, could be a simple as changing the side she walks on???
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I will be certainly looking into this dog aid that SB mentions cause if there is someone close to where I live I will be most interested to see what can be achieved, so thanks again for that. I snap my fingers and say sit and my little dog has no trouble at all, sound I find is good with her and a simple command like sit or stay if fine, shame I couldnt learn a few simple commands too huh ha ha. I too manage to pick up her poo some find it difficult at times but on the hole most manage but usually the disabled ones... able bodied people have a rule to themselves or so it seems. Anyway am off to walk my dog she is getting a wee bit impatient and they say they cant talk....right...lol
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Dog Aid looks great! Will make a note of that link for future reference.
My animal shelter works with a scheme called Brainy Dogs which takes rescue dogs, and trains them up to be assistance dogs, or dogs for people with brain injuries. We have done a little training with a couple of the dogs before they have left us, getting them used to walking alongside wheelchairs. We rely a lot on clicker training to begin with, and rewarding the dog for just standing there stationary, then after that has been solved it is walking on a loose lead (no pulling) then linking the behaviours together, whilst throwing in the wait command etc when the dogs ready too.

Dog Aid looks very good!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I tried the Breeze 4 before I bought The SM but it was not suitable for me as the controls are one hand only and I need to be able to control the scooter with either hand, and I also found it too heavy for me to steer - they do look good though! They are made by Afikim and my first two scooters were made by Afikim [both bought second-hand but through one of their agents].

This is the model I had, although mine were both older versions.

http://www.afiscooters.com/models/mo...scId=9&catid=1

I do not remember where I fixed Little One's lead but she just trotted alongside and hopped on my lap at every opportunity!
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Actually the one I was looking at was a four wheeled version and probably okay for my leg as for this version it wouldnt work well for me as my limb wouldnt be able to lie on the front , hard to explain what I mean. Very similar to the scooter you have now but sadly way out of my price range will just have to win the lotto first I think lol.
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I guess my clicking of fingers is the same as your clicker for training she is very good and does listen to my commands its the heel thing that we cant get the hang of although she waits when I ask her to so I assume thats the same thing almost, she does train quite easily which is good for me..lol but again I will be checking out that Dog Aid training.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Actually the one I was looking at was a four wheeled version and probably okay for my leg as for this version it wouldnt work well for me as my limb wouldnt be able to lie on the front , hard to explain what I mean. Very similar to the scooter you have now but sadly way out of my price range will just have to win the lotto first I think lol.
This is the Breeze 4

and this is the canopy roof which a lot of people here have.

It is also available with a full canopy

Beautiful looking machine - it just was not for me though.

The last picture I posted was the style of my first two scooters - ages ago. I then had a large Shoprider four-wheeler, and I bought The SM just over two years ago. Hopefully it will be the last scooter I ever have to buy!
charliegirl1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I will probably never get the chance to try it as like I said before way out of my price range, I love looking at them though on the websites and dreaming of what it would be like to drive along in one, sad I know.... so you state your last scooter you buy why you say that, never say never I say. I have been an amputee now for 23 years and have always had difficulty with them in one sense or another, the buying the scooter was fun and using it more fun although the pavements sharp corners and kerbs have been an experience to say the least, not an easy task and worse again trying with a dog attached, many scars on scooter now, my driving leaves a lot to be desired lol.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I guess my clicking of fingers is the same as your clicker for training she is very good and does listen to my commands its the heel thing that we cant get the hang of although she waits when I ask her to so I assume thats the same thing almost, she does train quite easily which is good for me..lol but again I will be checking out that Dog Aid training.

Do not focus on the tool in this case the clicker, that is not inextricably linked to the system, so you can use a clicker word, or a torch or anything you like.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >