Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Oh dear, with Zak being adolescent it might not be their last spat. Good that they accepted your control.
I intend to make it their last ... if I have any control that is

Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
And for the rivers, the Kong on a Rope floats, so might last longer!
Haha - I just about always buy floating balls on ropes, but when they drop into fast flowing hill drains which then quickly "whoosh" down to the river and disappear, it makes not a jot of difference whether they float or not!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
It may not be the toy as such, but YOU playing with the toy.

I've seen mine play tug with a dead rabbit they found, and the loser walked away quite happy.

I've seen Jake turn into a snarling beast if he thought I was giving Simon a bit of mouldy bread and he hadn't got any...

So, it may be YOU they both want IYSWIM, not the toy.
I did wonder for a split second whether Yogi's jealousy was boiling over after having had to share me with Zak for the last two months, but I quickly dispelled that as too human. I do think the ball was the trigger, but will be more aware of how they act together while I am interacting with them.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I did wonder for a split second whether Yogi's jealousy was boiling over after having had to share me with Zak for the last two months, but I quickly dispelled that as too human. I do think the ball was the trigger, but will be more aware of how they act together while I am interacting with them.
Dogs get jealous too! Maybe not your situation (you know your dogs best), but mine do act a bit "off" if they are in that mood and I seem to be favouring one more than the other.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Polo, Tara and Lady are trained to fetch their own ball when to their name or take it in turns if I only have one ball on me. They don't tend to try to get the ball of each other but if it is a close call for the same ball they would fight.

I remember Tara and Lady grabbing for the ball on the rope at the same time. They both began to tug and Lady's whole demeanour changed and she locked eyes with Tara. Oops! There was definitely a challenge going on and Tara did release the ball to Lady.

Polo started to run off with his ball instead of bringing it straight back to me. That all started with Lady chasing him and he would become agitated trying to escape her and growling. Not fun.

Our games are far more controlled and relaxing now.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I also wondered whether the fight was because of their desire to bring the ball to you and be praised ?

Mine will have a tiff (and more in the past) over something thrown to be brought back but never over a tuggy toy that they're playing with themselves.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Ripley and sadie occasionally have a spat if they go for the same ball...I wouldnt over think it too much, but try to avoid the scenario of them both reaching it at the same time. I either make one of mine wait or pretend to throw it one way and instead thow it in the opposite direction (the collies still havent twigged on to this, but sadie has! )
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Spats can be frightening if you aren't used to them!

I am now, as Rue has been in our family for almost a year now. She still lives at my sister's but the dogs meet every week or so, and she comes to stay here for a few days once a month.

I learned very quickly that they were but minor disagreements, as dogs really DO go for it when they mean it.

Their spats are a noisy, scary and intense bout of snapping & snarling for only a few seconds, usually sorted by me shouting at them.

It has been a rite of passage I think, with them sorting out their differences and establishing priorities. We have had spats over things like:
Who gets to greet me first if I go out and come back (answer = Merlin).
Who gets to greet visitors to the house first, which neither dog has met before (answer = Merlin). (If it is someone Merlin has met before, then Rue automatically stands aside).

I have learned what Merlin may guard in terms of treats and toys, so those items are not allowed when both dogs are together.

The last spat was the night before Christmas Eve when I was cooking a ham. As usual when peeling the skin off I threw a bit for Merlin but didn't realise Rue was also in the kitchen. It landed near her, Merlin dived for it, and an argument erupted. One dog crashed into the vegetable rack and sent onions and potatoes flying like cannonballs which scared them even more! Merlin had a couple of toothmark 'dents' on his nose & muzzle; Rue had a dent near her eye and a slightly torn eyelid (which worried me for days but healed perfectly).

I am sure if both dogs only had a couple of toothmarks they were using very good bite inhibition, so it wasn't what I would call a serious scrap by any means, just a telling-off.

Most of the time they are good around each other and I see a lot of communication between the two that prevents confrontation. I guess it is just learning their triggers.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 10:27 PM
We do the same as SB, trained to ...'name and throw'.

Saves a lot of falling out, the others just wait till their name is called.

It helps with control too IMO xxx
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Guys, name and throw technique sounds good - any tips on training it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Now Yogi has put the new boy in his place they should be OK IME. Let`s face it - both dogs have the capacity to seriously injure the other so if only a scratch was caused, they were both pulling their punches.
I take 3 identical ballies out now. One for Daisy, one for Prince... and one for the dog who is hacked off at the other one having both of them and going ner ner ner ner ner.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >