Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9walkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Following a discussion on another thread which I am fascinated by I now feel obliged to ask.......

Does your dog raid the bin?
If not how did you train it not to?
Or did it just never do it?
Do you have to barricade or remove the bin when you are in or out of the house?

Thank you for your time.
Denise Mcleod
My dog doesn't raid the bin and I don't know any dog that does but if my dog was to raid a bin then I wouldn't build a barricade or move the bin I'd just go out and buy a peddle bin that I had to press with my foot to open or a touch bin where your touch the bin lid and it opens =)
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Mine raid the bin if they can, I have it in the kitchen with q baby gate to limit acsess to it, if I hear russling and shout get outa the bin the scarper lol
ATD x
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Our bin is in a cupboard under the sink so not easy for him to get to. The most interest he has ever paid is to go and have a sniff if the bag is out ready to be taken to the wheelie bin. Its not something i've ever taught him although its possible he could have been taught in his previous home. He certainly never pays any interest in the other bins in the house but there is rarely food in them.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Denise above in the other thread which prompted this thread I got the impression you thought bin raiding was unusual/uncommon rather than as many find normal predictable canine behaviour I am quite surprised by this coming from an experienced trainer..
You are surprised? Well i think given the numbers involved and responses on this thread, its not that surprising, that I didn't know . Though I respect your view - for it is your view.

But that is what forums are for and I for one am going to do something productive about this info .

I guess when we ask people at class if they have had any problems they tell us of their most pressing concerns, the most common problem they have or the problems they can not solve themselves or provide them with most concern. Things like aggression, toilet training, play biting, etc are the much more common ongoing issues, that people raise, within my training groups. . .Its likely that the beginner levels of our classes probably have more bin raiding issues, but I don't often teach those classes. Denise Mcleod
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I think people just regard it as one of those things that can be managed rather than trained out (especially since it often occurs when the humans are out) and just manage it with locks, bins in cupboards or taking the bin out to be honest... rather than something like aggression where you can't often stick the object of the aggression in a cupboard to stop that kicking off.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by k9walkies View Post
My dog doesn't raid the bin and I don't know any dog that does but if my dog was to raid a bin then I wouldn't build a barricade or move the bin I'd just go out and buy a peddle bin that I had to press with my foot to open or a touch bin where your touch the bin lid and it opens =)
...unless you have a dog that can operate the pedal and the touch lids, like mine.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
...unless you have a dog that can operate the pedal and the touch lids, like mine.

Kindergarten stuff for many dogs!
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 11:04 AM
When Stella was tall enough she started sticking her head in the bin flap! I think she knocked it over only once but the noise frightened her enough that she doesn't do it anymore! I moved the bin into the utility room (the door is always shut) so that the temptation isn't there (and my kitchen looks better now too!!).

She then learnt that my wet wipes from my bedroom bin are fun to kill, so she'd up end that and make a babywipe mess, so I just shut the bedroom door! Simples!
k9walkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Wow that's clever especially the touch lids I don't think if my dog was a bin raider she'd work them bins out
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by k9walkies View Post
And when your dog figured out how to open those? They're childs play for some dogs

Denise, you probably don't get told about bin raiding when you ask about problems because it's so easy to solve just by putting the bin where the dog can't get it. I bet most people don't even think of it as a training issue to be honest.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >