Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi H
my dogs go for the back legs to be a 'wind up
when a dog means buisness its usually the throat and or belly area that is aimed for...seen the results a few times (not with my dogs!!)
I was told by an Irishman who lives locally and breeds dogs, coz Georgie flattened his labrador one day when he went to mount him (he took objection to it and so he should!). He then told me his dog only got a good telling off, coz if they wanted to do any real damage they would always go for the back legs, that's how I remember it! Lol! I know nuffink!!!

Well I thought I was going to be in big trouble this morning, coz I was up on the green, watching a big lurcher tear a*sing about with two labradors, and then it made a bee-line for us!!! OMG I thought, this is going to be interesting if he barges up to Zena!!! Anyhoo, by this time Georgie had gone over to it, Zena was still with me coz I told her to wait, then it came hurfing up to us, BUT, instead of barging straight at Zena, it stopped a few feet in front, dropped it's body lower, ears back, then slowly came up to us, nothing happened and they ran off like a bolt of lightening running in circles and playing! It was another youngster, rescued from Scotland, so at least I know we are fine with youngsters both large and small now. It's just those terriers with us I think from what I'm seeing of late.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The idea is your teaching an incompatible behaviour.
Atm the dog feels uncomfortable aggresses and other dog goes away.
Using the longe line the dog feels uncomfortable, is moved away and feels more comfortable becuase distance between him and other dog is increased and you additional discomfort (verbal reprimand) ceases.
Its about teaching avoidance as opposed to conflict.

Adam
In my view Adam your logic is very scewed and warped.

I sometimes wonder if you reply to threads, not because you have any idea what you are talking about, or indeed any value to add, but because you just feel the need to be heard?

There is a big difference between teaching incompatible behaviours where behaviours are wholly innapropriate and teaching incompatible behaviours just because one can.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Having re-read the OP by the way, I realise that my earlier replies went of at a tangent somewhat, respoinding to points raised in subsequent posts, rather than the OP..... and I missed a large part of the original point, which was, the incidents occured when the lab was formerly playing with a ball.

I agree with the other posters, that the ball playing is likely to be related and careful management of ball play with other dogs around, should be considered.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
hi,i wonder if anyone can help...i have a 3yr old lab and a 5yr old springer,the problem i have is with my lab,generally he is good natured and nearly well behaved! on acouple of occasions recently when he has been down the park he has attacked other dogs.this doesnt happen everytime we go out,one minute he is chasing his ball then he comes over to where my springer is playing with the other dog,all the time he is wagging his tail,suddenly without provocation he has the other dog around the neck and has to be pulled off.so far luckily he hasnt done any damage but im so concerned that he is behaving like this, i dont know what to do.it is nothing to do with protecting his ball as he has dropped this on the appoach towards my springer and the other dog,sometimes he approaches has a sniff and wanders off but today he just grabbed the other dog around the neck..i have thought about putting a muzzle on him but then he cant chase his ball and he doesnt do it all the time...he isnt like it with my springer or aggressive towards me.any suggestions?
Originally Posted by tobydog View Post
i agree that it may appear that Toby is aggressive but thats just it,he isnt..most of the time he doesnt bother at all with any other dogs,i think sometimes he is wrongly thinking that my other dog is being attacked as he always jumps around barking when playing and thats when it seems to happen...on the whole Toby approaches has a sniff wags his tail and goes back to ball chasing but just on that odd occasion he comes over tail wagging,sniffs and then just turns,never has he drawn blood but i know thats not the point and this cant carry on
he does get then around the scruff of the neck but just seems to hold them..never rags or barring of teeth and never left any marks
Hi Tobydog you haven't given us a lot of information here really and we can't of course see for ourselves Toby's body language at the time of the incidents . What kind of dog does he 'attack', does he look 'aggressive' at the time and is he making a noise .

This said I will make an observation but could be barking up the wrong tree completely .

I know a couple of dogs one a Lab the other a Rhodesian Ridgeback who are not dog aggressive but like to grab some dogs mine included around the neck and even try to pick them up this way. It can look a bit scary to anyone who doesn't know them but they mean no harm and the only harm they do is to cover the other dog in saliva.

I can be walking down the lane and Daisy the RR will see us approaching and stop dead, she will then crouch down and adopt a 'stalking mode' then leap on Chloe and grab her around the neck growling, then bounce away before turning and repeating the actions. Luckily Chloe doesn't mind.

The Lab behaved slightly differently and just paused in whatever she happened to be doing to try to pick my dog up by the neck.

As I said we can't see the body language of your dog but are you sure this is actually agression and not a form of playful behaviour.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The idea is your teaching an incompatible behaviour.
Atm the dog feels uncomfortable aggresses and other dog goes away.
Using the longe line the dog feels uncomfortable, is moved away and feels more comfortable becuase distance between him and other dog is increased and you additional discomfort (verbal reprimand) ceases.
Its about teaching avoidance as opposed to conflict.

Adam
In my experience a dog on a short or long lead when confronted with a dog on no lead at all will feel at a disadvantage from the start... no comfort at all for the dog!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 09:03 PM
my Tupac does as mini says (the picking up by collar) and there is no malice in it whatsoever he is instigating play.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5