Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Dog training Class - Check Collar

HI

I know that this question has been asked before - think I just need some reassurance.

I have decided that I want to take Bruno to a dog class - I have wanted to do this for some time, but everyone I have ever called has said no due to me saying that he is dog aggressive. I was recommended a dog training class by my friend who had been talking to the president ( who owns a staffie) of said club and had been telling him all about bruno. The president felt that he could help Bruno.

My only issue is that when they called me regarding coming along- they said they use check collars - which immediately puts me off.

My problem is - nothing seems to work with Bruno - Behaviorist etc just didnt do it for him - partly because I didnt like the method. But I think there is an issue with Bruno and me, in that I dont think we have the whole "who's boss" thing down - I recognise this - although its taken a while and feel I need to sort it out NOW, as we want to start a family and with Bruno constantly tugging on the lead and being very boisterous etc, I need to sort this or I wont physically be able to cope when pregnant or with buggy etc etc.

I am going to go the class and see what they think of Bruno and what there suggestions are, but I wanted some advice regarding the whole check collar situation. I am happy enough to try it in theory but what should I watch out for in terms of incorrect usage of this method??

The reason I ask is that whilst I dont want Bruno hurt by a choke collar, I also dont want him to further damage his legs by his pulling and pounding of the pavement as his hip displacia and athritis are causing him problems at the moment and the way he walks does not help as he is never relaxed so must put a strain on his body.

I guess what I am saying is - if used correctly in order to train Bruno, does the check collar method have a good success rate - particularly with Staffie's as in my experience with Bruno - all collars choke him, and I said I woudl never use a check on him but feel I have expired all other methods as haltis etc simply do not work for him.

Also - I find the only way that he truly pays attention to me is if I shout at him, which although I dont like doing it - perhaps as my other tone of voice is too soft - he only reacts to shouting and will then obey.- so he actually seems to pay more attentiont to negative reinforcement !!!

I am needing some reassurance or advice on this subject.

Any thoughts
dani
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi Dani,
The first class I went to used half-checks, and this is what I use with Teagan now.
Perhaps go with what you have (a harness? or other collar), and see what they say!
Tell them you find your way of controlling him good at the moment, so only would use a check/half check if you think it would improve your handling
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2005, 11:48 AM
With a check always make sure that when the dog is walking well the check is loose. A check chain should never be tight around a dogs neck unless the dog is being "checked" Personally I don't have a problem with them and are used on my dogs as normal, every day walking aids although I have never used one for training purposes.

Why don't you go along to this club without your dog and see how they train. If you walk away thinking the method looked like it could work, and that it looked harmless then you can go back the next week with your dog. however if you don't like it you don't have to go back again. Also ask the trainers what they intended to do about your dogs behaviour and how they would go about it.

Then you can make up your mind, and all you've wasted is one evening.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2005, 11:54 AM
A bit of an aside...

A woman who we keep seeing with her collie keeps recommending us to go to Graham 'somebodies' class. He advertises in the Evening News apparently and is very good. I've heard other people mention him too.

I don't know why she keeps telling us... Saffy is far better behaved than her mangy collie

Graeme
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2005, 12:42 PM
when I was younger we had a german shepherd and my mum used a check collar and it didn't stop her from pulling she just kept going - I personally find a harness the best solution for dogs that pull because there is no strain on their neck

I've just recently started using a whistle to get my dogs attention when they're barking at something they shouldn't they immediatley stop and sit and look at me - saves my throat getting sore!

don't know if any of that helps
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 02:45 PM
thanks folks
I have been using harness on Bruno - more because I feel I[U] have more control over him this way. As should he meet another dog and there be any altercation then I feel the harness is better. However also because Bruno has managed to work himself out of most collars I feel they arent a safe solution for him. I have went and bought a half check collar today and will take that to class tommorow as I feel this is a compromise and also, less strain on his neck than a full check chain.

I think I will go to the class, make my decision once there, see how they treat the dogs.....and we will see - will keep u updated !!
michelled
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2005, 04:02 PM
the best behaved staffies i know have all been trained with the clicker.i dont clicker myself but the breed seems to do very well.

i would not go to any class that "INSISTED" on a check,all dogs are different,& should be treated as indivuals

pure check chain clubs are living in the dark ages,i have a chain in my training box,but havent used one for years,there are much better methods now days,imo
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 04:25 PM
i agree with michelled, i wouldnt go to a training class who insisted every dog use a choke collar. Do they test the sensitivity of each dog b4 they put one on?
Im not sure what you are wanting to use the choke collar for? is it for pulling? as u mentioned aggression as well.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 04:34 PM
ok thanks for the advice - however having purchased my half check collar I thought I would try it on Bruno 's afternoon walk - It was like walking with a different dog - because its not a full check he isnt constantly pulling against it - he was walking the best I have ever seen. I went out without the safety of the harness too and we met 3 dogs and overall he just seemed more behaved as he wasnt pulling at all. The dogs that we met he did try and strangle himself gettign to - but he didnt bark or growl - even when a king charles barked at him. Perhaps its beginners luck - but it was so different to walking him on the harness I will keep it up - and he does allow it to go loose on his neck so isnt choking himself.

I have tried clicker training with him - but Bruno's problem is he isnt food orientated when it comes to training - he would rather not do something than do something for the treat - even if its his favourite so sadly the more forceful method does seem to work better.

I am going to go the class and just see what they are like. I do not plan to use a full check collar - I feel the difference with the half check already is vast, so think with that beinfg able to give me more control then I will be able to cope better.

I have to say that that was the most enjoyable walk I have had for a long time as I didnt get my arm ripped out my socket once....
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2005, 04:38 PM
let us know how u get on with the half choke! Indie is also not food orientated and occasionaly i can get her interested in a toy. Altho she doesnt pull on the lead its the aggression thats the problem here.

I have found that when i change wot im using to walk her on she will be better for a couple of days and then get used to it and go back to pulling (when she was pulling), if that makes sense.
hopefully they are experienced and can advise u how to use and train bruno with it properly and hopefully solve ur problem
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »