Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 05:38 PM

Poor Ferret

Today on the walk with the dogs they seemed very interested in a hole they found ,so I had a look and could see a small black tail and somthings body in there ,I wasnt sure what it was but thought it might me a mink or even an otter as there is a few of them round here ,but the colour wasnt right ,I carried on our walk and it was still there when we got back ,I got my torch from the house and went for a better look without the dogs ,using a stick I mannaged to get some stones out of the way and this is what I seen

So I was quite sure it was a ferret with the colouring ,but it was obviously not right as it was shivering and not responding to me being there ,I went away and came back and this time it had turned round and I could see its face and it was swollen and its eyes were all blood and half shut
I ran back to the house and got a carrying cage and two pairs of gloves as I didnt know if it would bite ,when I got back it was gone ,but I had a good look about and seen it toddling up the bank towards the road ,I had to run up the bank to get it before it got to the road ,thankfully I got it (nearly having a heart attack at my mad sprint)
So I have it in a carrying cage ,I offered it some food but wasnt interested ,poor thing is in a bad state (maybe a run in with a mink?)
I have an appointment with the vets at 6:40 for it

I have left it in some covers now in the cage in a quiet place till we go to the vets ,poor thing
fingers crossed it will recover
I'll let you know how we get on at the vets
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Bless you PJ for being so caring - fingers crossed for the Vet visit
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I hope that the vet can help.

Well done for being so caring
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 06:09 PM
awww poor ferret
but well done for rescuing it

we used to keep 2 ferrets quite a while back
and they are lovely animals

hope the vet can help him/her

we lost one of ours once but someone handed it it in to the local rescue centre
i called to see if anyone had handed one in and they had

maybe worth giving your local one a call to see if anyone is looking for a lost pet
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Why aren't there more people like you in the world?
Hope the poor ferret recovers
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Prpobably an escaped pet if he was friendly, the wild ones are not! Looks in good condition, well done for helping it. You could try dry Cat food they eat that much better, evaporated milk (only a little) they like too, I have some Ferretvite I can send you if you are keeping him for a while, it stimulates their appetite and feeds them too.
Dawn.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Aww very well done for rescuing the poor little chap - hope he is going to be okay, he looks lovely
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Hope all goes well for the little thing, so sweet
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Good luck and well done! What do ferrets normally eat? Are they meat eater? Ot can you buy them food like you can a rabbit and a hamster? Sorry for asking question just wondered?
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone
well I'm back from the vets ,they think he has been like this for a while as he has a fair bit of infection ,his eyes were stuck together by the time we were there ,he also has some scabs and swellings on his head ,he looks ok in the picture but his fur hides that he is quite skinny too ,the vet also thinks he might have pneumonia
poor thing just lay on the vets table while we had a look over him ,he had lots of ticks too
the vets is going to call the SSPCA and see if anyone has reported him missing ,I said I would take him if not as the SSPCA would just put him down(I know what they can be like )
So he was started on antibiotics and they will keep him over night and clean him up and see if they can get some food into him and see if he has a chance
I've to phone in the morning to see how he is
It was so sad to see him jusy laying there ,I didnt have to worry that he might bite as he didnt have the strength to even try if he wanted to
so fingers crossed he will recover ,at least he has a chance now
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »