Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 09:30 PM

a bump suddenly appeared - bite, cyst?

Hello

Well I'm a bit confused...I was just petting Keena and noticed she has quite a swollen bump on the back of her neck just under the collar line...

It's just appeared out of no where.

Well you may remember a few weeks ago she got a swollen eye, it swole right shut after a run in the forest (might not be anything to do with this though?)

and another similar incident was right after she was spayed, about two days after the op she got a really large swollen bump in the front of her neck this time, again at about collar level. (we and the vet thought it might be when she was given her shots for the op??) We never really found out what it was and Keena was just given antibiotics.

I'm really miffed about these occurances.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if this goes back down.

The one in the front of her neck got really quite big but went away eventually after the antibiotics.

I suposse if we go to the vets they will have no idea and will just give her antibiotics again??

I just don't know what it could be.

She is just over a year and a half by the way.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2005, 09:33 PM
If it does not go away I would get it looked at by a vet It could be anything from a bite to a cyst

Could her collar be rubbing her skin?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 09:42 PM
I just took her collar off to make her more comfortable...but I don't think it's what causes them??

I will definitely take her to the vets if it doesn't go down and i'll keep a close eye on things...She seems fine within herself, very normal.

One thing I thought of is that maybe it could be stress??

I'm gonna be paraniod now till I find out what they are, I thought the last one was just one of those things

She has quite bad SA and we left her on her own for about 30 mins (shock horror!!) she seemed fine but maybe she got stressed?? This might explain why she got a bump right after being spayed too as she had to be at the vets and of course the stress of the op it's self??
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Forgot to say, I looked for a bite and can't see one...her skin isn't irritated at all...Just a fairly large bump well under the skin??

I don't think the one when she got spayed was a bite because she hadn't gone for a walk at the time due to her op.

The eye incident though I was thinking definitely a bite as it swole real bad on the way home from a run.

Both neck swellings are definitely related though I'm sure.

She is rough housing with Kody as I type so she obviously feels ok though you wouldn't know with her!
Carole
Supervisor

08-11-2005, 09:53 PM
very strange Im sure SB or Mini might be able to help more.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Yep I'm sure they will come along soon

One thing I just thought of...

a few weeks ago when her eye swole up Keena had an injection in the back of the neck which could be in this area. Maybe I hadn't noticed the bump before and maybe it was a reaction to the injection??

Like I said the one when she was spayed was in the front of the neck...and I did think it might be a reaction to the shots she was given for the op...at the same time I thought it odd that she would have been given a shot in the front of the neck...we asked at the vets but they didn't know and said that it was possible. hmm
Carole
Supervisor

08-11-2005, 10:03 PM
that could be the reason for the lumps then
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 10:15 PM
My Echo developed a lump on her neck after she had her caesar and I wondered at the time if it was something to do with where she may have had a needle or something - it wasn't painful and went down on its own after a little while.

Another possibility is an infection or abcess - these dogs tend to wrestle and grab each other round the nect and its inevitable that sometimes they will accidentally break the skin of their opponent.

Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or is no better in a few days then you should take her to the vet, it may need lancing and antibiotics.

Its difficult to diagnose without seeing it.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Thanks Sandra.

I agree that they are always wrestling and grabbing each other around the neck (oh and then shaking each other like they were pretend prey...lol)

I'll keep you updated.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Can't help, sorry. As Carole said it could be a bite, and you wouldn't necessarily see any obvious sign such as a puncture mark. It could even be an allergic reaction to foliage that she has brushed against, although with her thick fur I would doubt that.

Have you checked her all over to see if she has any bumps anywhere else on her body? Particularly check the neck glands to see if you can feel any swelling (front & side just below the point of the jaws).

See your vet if the bump doesn't go down or if it appears to be getting larger.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >