Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Well that's what I thought too, I thought it was just common sense but apparently not!
Kel, I think I've said before that just because you've got a brain in your head doesn't mean that everyone has.

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
why don't you ask them if they would have a tiger as a pet? Apart from a bigger litter tray surely if a wolf is no different to a dog a tiger is no different to a cat?
Perfectly put Becky, the logic is clear cut, but then logic is something not many people are born with

Originally Posted by random View Post
I tried, oh how I tried, apparently that's not the same though!
Dooh, well done for trying, me, I wouldn't have bothered, if something is so bl***ing obvious I don't have time now to try to educate people
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Dogs are (more or less) domesticated animals which have lived closely with humans for thousands of years. Wolves are a wild, nomadic predator who are naturally shy and will avoid humans wherever possible. Wolf packs often travel 30 miles or more a day in search of prey and to "maintain" their territory. Keeping a wolf as a pet would go 100% against the nature of the wolf and no matter how well-meaning the owner and how comfortable his/her surroundings, this would constitute severe cruelty.
Having a "pet" wolf is a childish fantasy. Leave wolves where they belong - in the wild.

Mick
i couldnt have put it better....

GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
No I wouldn't but must admit I know someone who has & they were lovely, but my main worry would be of an accident & mating to my dogs & a hybid being produced.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Ah, the sensible people of dogsey!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 08:55 PM
If I am not much mistaken it became legal to own wolf hybrids in the UK recently. this is very sad in my opinion... and just gives certain types of people carte blanche to breed them badly - if you ask me, they're already in very much the wrong hands

I would never want to own a wolf as a pet - or any other wild animal - I mean, sure - it'd be nice - that new species of giant rat they've found <3 <3 <3 - but I wouldn't want to remove it from it's natural home and keep it as a pet - there are enough animals domesticated already - more than we can comfortably deal with. Why ruin more?

xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
If I am not much mistaken it became legal to own wolf hybrids in the UK recently.
xx
thats the first i have heard about this?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...waa/hybrid.htm

Unless I've read it wrong, they've become much more relaxed about it - allowing breeds like the Czech and Saarloos to be bred from in the UK. It does mean IMHO that it'll be far easier forthose unscrupulous types to get under the net and fleece people about what their animals are... :/

xx
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Pure wolves, first and second gen wolfdog/hybrids are still dwa listed. 3rd gen and beyond no longer require a dwal to keep them.

Foxes can be owned as pets in the uk, and can be litter trained like cats, from what I've read. Other animals you can own without a dwal include, racoondogs, racoons, meerkats, certain primate species and many others.

I'd never keep a wolf as a pet. Maybe if I had a zoo, I'd have a couple in the collection, but they wouldn't be pets.

There are plenty of dog breeds that look sort of wolfy, and if you want a cat that looks like a tiger, get a toyger.
Maddogfan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:35 PM
what if the wild animal can not go in to the wild as it does not know how to defene it self ?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 09:51 PM
They would be kept in captivity, but that wouldn't make them pets. There are wild animals that come into uk wildlife rescues dayly, some can never be released, but the people who look after them, do not concider them as pets.

For me, the line starts to blur, when you've got an animal that comes from generations of captive breeding, like my reptiles do. Another example would be, a fox owners site I was looking at earlier, stated that one of their foxes had at least 27 generations of captive breeding specifically for the pet trade behind it.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >