View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
frankjames
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2013, 07:56 AM
As Catrin has said leaving them for very short periods at first is the key. If possible come back before they have a chance to get distressed, even if you are just putting out the rubbish or hanging the laundry. Gradually, as they become more secure in the knowledge that you are coming back you should be able to extend the duration of your absence. Easier said than done of course, but best to do it this way before you are obliged to leave them for longer work related periods
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by frankjames View Post
As Catrin has said leaving them for very short periods at first is the key. If possible come back before they have a chance to get distressed, even if you are just putting out the rubbish or hanging the laundry. Gradually, as they become more secure in the knowledge that you are coming back you should be able to extend the duration of your absence. Easier said than done of course, but best to do it this way before you are obliged to leave them for longer work related periods
Yes and I would say do it with every puppy you have, rather than wait to find out if its a dog with the sort of temperament that means it's going to suffer from SA.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Never had a dog with SA probably because my dogs are all trained & know if I disappear I will always return & my return will be rewarding. Crate training helps a great deal as the dog can be left in a place that it already feels comfortable & safe in & the owner will be less anxious that the dog may come to harm & so is relaxed, which feeds back to the dog as confidence. Just IMHO of course
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Sep anx is an uncommon clinical condition which even many dogs are claimed to have don't actually have

the answer is most dogs wouldn't develop it anyway so in most instances their isn't a special prevention programme required outside of the usual way folk raise dogs. you get some breeds that you need to be more cautious of such as toys and staffies
I think this is a very dangerous statement that is also partly false. Separation anxiety actually happens in more dogs than we think, because the symptoms aren't always as easy to spot. A dog that doesn't destroy or howl when left alone is not necessarily calm and it's usually only when dogs start to show behaviour that can't be ignored, that people start thinking about separation anxiety.

Dogs are extremely social animals that have a special bond with their humans. It's very natural for them to get anxious and scared if left alone unprepared. In nature, a lone dog is at risk.

Leaving a dog alone for periods of time has therefore to be trained from a young age. Start with closing doors behind you when you go from room to room in your house/flat. Don't make too much a fuss out of it, the goal is that your puppy realises you going away isn't a big deal and that you'll be back. If you can hear your puppy whining just ignore it, but go back a little in the time you leave her alone.
In my opinion, 'cold departure-warm arrival' is best but it depends on the dog. The most important part is that you increase the time of being away really gradually and don't overburden your dog with being left alone for too long too early, once separation anxiety is established, it's a lot harder to help the dog relax again when being alone.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I think this is a very dangerous statement that is also partly false. Separation anxiety actually happens in more dogs than we think, because the symptoms aren't always as easy to spot. A dog that doesn't destroy or howl when left alone is not necessarily calm and it's usually only when dogs start to show behaviour that can't be ignored, that people start thinking about separation anxiety.

Dogs are extremely social animals that have a special bond with their humans. It's very natural for them to get anxious and scared if left alone unprepared. In nature, a lone dog is at risk.

Leaving a dog alone for periods of time has therefore to be trained from a young age. Start with closing doors behind you when you go from room to room in your house/flat. Don't make too much a fuss out of it, the goal is that your puppy realises you going away isn't a big deal and that you'll be back. If you can hear your puppy whining just ignore it, but go back a little in the time you leave her alone.
In my opinion, 'cold departure-warm arrival' is best but it depends on the dog. The most important part is that you increase the time of being away really gradually and don't overburden your dog with being left alone for too long too early, once separation anxiety is established, it's a lot harder to help the dog relax again when being alone.
Im afraid you lost my interest in taking an active and reasoned interest in your post after your opening sentence
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Im afraid you lost my interest in taking an active and reasoned interest in your post after your opening sentence
Simply because I disagreed with you? wow.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Simply because I disagreed with you? wow.
Now, did I just say that?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Now, did I just say that?
Well, since that's what my opening sentence said, I presume so. But whatever, I haven't got the time or interest to respond to cryptic posts anymore.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, since that's what my opening sentence said, I presume so. But whatever, I haven't got the time or interest to respond to cryptic posts anymore.
Fair enough should have said first half of opening sentence. bit of an extreme OTT way to have opened your prostition to be honest - put me off the rest of your post
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Florence I agree with you on this one and although KYes appears to believe that SAis very uncommon you only have to read all the threads on this forum to realise that it does exist. I'm not sure what experience KYes has but her statement is not helpful and frankly condescending. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinions it is more helpful to give examples of experience or help or not comment at all rather than dismiss another members comments. I am an experienced dog owner and the dog I have now is the first one I've had to experience this upsetting behaviour.
KYes, you asked me in an earlier post to explain my dogs symptoms which I did days ago ..... why ask if you are not going to comment?
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »