Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Oh of course - there have been times when I've tensed up - it's something that's subconscious and a bloody nightmare to stop.

I'm worst when I'm with certain people as I feel very inadequate and insecure - these are the people that tell me it's pack theory related and they sound so confident in what they're saying that I loose all of mine and Takara knows it.
It's also the reason she plays up at the vets - I can handle her anywhere else but if I go to see an animal health care professional, I daren't do what I normally do and let them get on with it, Takara knows I'm incredibly uncomfortable and it makes her on edge too.

However, there have been plenty of times when I have actually forgotten about her issues (she hasn't always had them) with larger dogs and been walking along like a dozy mare thinking 'oh she'll just go and play' and she's still reacted in the same way. I couldn't possibly have been tense then.

My dog's problem is my confidence - I'm well aware of that.

This is why I need to build my confidence in general with people. I know what I'm doing with dogs, they don't frighten me or make me feel uncomfortable. People do.
I know its easier said than done but you need to remind yourself when you are scared of doing what you normally do with Takara that she is YOUR dog and not the vets or the dominance enthusiasts dog. Yours!

And if you dont like the way they treat her or want them to do something specific then you tell them that. Or if you feel that you need to do something then just do it. They might think your dosey or odd for it but explain afterwards why and if they still think you are then walk away from them. Whats the worst they can do? I

know you think Takara feeling comfortable and confident with you is your priority over anything so make sure you have that set in your mind before going anywehere... Though I'm sure you do already
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
LOL thanks hun,

I know - I'm just a big wuss!

I've even enrolled on a confidence building course in order to build my confidence instead of worrying about building the dog's confidence for a while!
stolen_wing
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Well I hope you get something out of it and it helps both of you I know how you feel I think, I'm crap at confrontation and used to be very very shy! So I can relate x
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9