View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2008, 06:42 PM
In another month or two-you'll find new shoots emerging from the ground Helen and you will find half of these will grow to be thin canes later on in summer.Leave them be this year,but early next spring-snip about every 3 from 6 of these thin canes cause that following summer-it will grow a few 1" thick canes which will eventually turn black over 18 months.It forces the plant to put all its energy into producing a few thick canes instead of 6 smaller.

I know its looking far ahead,but you gotta do it for visual impact!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Lol, oh yes, I like visual impact!! Thanks Steve. I will do exactly as you say - that's the trouble with gardening, you've got to be such a patient soul, and I really don't do patient!!! I'm Mrs. Hurry up harry! Lol! Just think how old these current ones must be then to be all made up of really thick black canes, about 8 in each plant! I do get the bit about reducing 6 to 3, coz I remember Alan Titchmarsh saying about pruning "the plant wants to grow!" So in theory, if you keep chopping off smaller bits, it will like you say, put all it's energy into one!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6