View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Not very small about the size of a sparrow - at least I think thats where the singing is coming from there are so many now its hard to tell.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Wrens are the only birds I can think of with their tails at 90 degrees to their bodies. They're probably about half the size of a sparrow though. There's a picture of one here:

http://www.stevenround-birdphotograp...es/wren-16.jpg

and you can listen to its song through this site:

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm so glad you've now got a few bird families Kazz, as they really are a pleasure to watch aren't they, I do so enjoy mine. At the moment I've got four young blackbirds which seem to hang around all day, 2 of them seem to be permanently perched on a small branch in the hedge next to the sunflower seeder. Yesterday morning, all four of them got in the bath together! The starlings seem to be first in the bath each day though, so I have to keep changing the water! What are we like

Now about the fat balls, I'm afraid I had to get some more, because my blue tits and great tits just adore them and they've always been around in my bird sanctuary, and when I took them away and just left the sunflower hearts and nuts etc. (a couple of manky pears they peked away at quite happily )I never seemed to see them anymore, so I gave in, and went and bought some more, sorry H!!

By the way Kazz, there won't be much interest in the nuts once you've got sunflower hearts, who wants burgers when you've got fillet steak available (an Ashlady quote there!) In fact, I don't even bother with them now, I just buy the big bags of sunflower hearts for all my feeders. I have a tiny little mouse who was cheeky enough to be feeding with them half an hour ago Sadly it wasn't a doormouse, just a tiny little brown one with massive ears and great big eyes, so sweeeet!
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 07:29 PM
I get a little woodmouse visiting my bird-table too! He's so cute with his huge eyes and trembly paws. He does a really useful job of clearing up all the seed that falls on the floor too. He scoops it up in his little paws and pulls it under the bird-table and eats it there!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Ahhha thats him a wren, (at least I think so he was so quick) so then so what do they eat????????

I may bring back the fat balls as they do seem to miss them, and get a fat ball feeder stick with the sunflower hearts and niger seeds and give the nuts a miss. Its all a learning curve isn' it. Must get the "meat eaters" something and oh by the way they all seem to adore extra mature canadian cheddar grated. and I have hunga slightly off apple up in the tree and they have pecked at it but nothing startling. But they like cut up grapes.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Lol yes minda, those little trembly paws, and mine too was holding it in them to eat!

The meat eaters will like that Hi Life from Tesco, but don't whatever you do, buy those awful dried mealworms I made that mistake, they cost me a fortune and I wondered why they didn't touch them until dear Ashlady told me I had to soak them!! I soaked them like she told me to, but they still didn't bother with them, I suppose they like them to be moving and alive or something. I've heard you can get the real ones from the fishing tackle shops, but they don't seem to be any near me, so I stick to the Hi Life, the robins love that! I too put out an apple core after I saw how those young blackbirds were tucking into those pears plus of course Dave's leftover grapes they love those too. I have never used cheese, but I might give it a try I don't want to get my rats back, that's the problem with too much tasty food around My stuff is all in my big hedge so they could obviously climb up the branches, like that cheeky little mouse did Sooooo sweet, I love that little mouse Glad it's all coming together Kazz, you'll have to get one of those bird books next like I did
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi all, anal here Just caught up again. Kazz, WOW!! great news about the visitors mate, I've had a look for that poster but it hasn't turned up yet but fear not - it will Now come on Ladies, about that fat!!!! just to add a little weight to my plea for you not to give in to your birdies cravings, I've taken this from the RSPB website for you......

Spring and summer

Only selected foods should be fed at this time and good hygiene is vital (see below), or feeding may do more harm than good.

During the summer months birds require high protein foods, especially while they are moulting. Black sunflower seeds, pinhead oatmeal, soaked sultanas, raisins and currants, mild grated cheese, mealworms, waxworms, mixes for insectivorous birds, good seed mixtures without loose peanuts, RSPB food bars and summer seed mixture can all be used. Soft apples and pears cut in half, bananas and grapes are also useful foods. Some people use soaked dog or cat food and tinned pet foods, but these may attract magpies, crows and cats. Avoid using peanuts, fat and bread at this time, since these foods can be harmful if brought to nestlings. If you feel you must put out peanuts, only do so in suitable mesh feeders that will not allow sizeable pieces of peanuts to be removed.

Think of the babies girls, think of the babies
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:51 PM
I think wrens are basically insect eaters. My wren seems to like the special robin food I put out (I think it's made by Gardman but I could be wrong). they like to eat off the floor though, underneath some kind of cover so I scatter it under shrubs for them. I think I've heard they like grated cheese too.

Old pears scattered around the garden on the floor are very popular in my garden. They do seem to attract magpies but I figure that as long as they're eating pears they're not eating nestlings . Not sure if that's good logic or not.

You'll be like me soon - a complete slave to your birds. My little robin sits and waits for me as soon as the food runs out and as when he hears my back door open he flies down because he knows there's food coming! I think there's be a riot if I stopped putting food out. I don't know what I'd do if it started attracting rats. I'll just have to hope it never happens.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Oh H, I'm all upset now!!!!! I promise to take my fat balls away tomorrow then

I saw some black sunflower seeds in the garden centre this morning, but didn't bother with them coz I didn't think they were the "hearts" and I know what you said about them having to shell the sunflower seeds, soI only use the hearts, but I will check them out now tomorrow and maybe get some of those. We've always got spotty bananas around the place, so they'll be going out there too now.

Mind you, my blackbirds are quite big now so would my fat balls have harmed them do ya think?? The parents aren't feeding them any more?

Btw, when is Springwatch on again then, I'm dying for that to come on??? please!!?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 08:56 PM
You saying about your robin minda, I have the same thing with mine I love the way they stand on guard and vet everyone that comes to feed, sometimes they tell them to "push off" don't they too! They do make me laugh those robins. Mine always follow me round the garden when I'm mowing the lawn too
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >