View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Right I have considered it and all makes sense tilt for drain, and I will put dish out on the gravel, in the open but close to the shrubs. And one on the stepping stone at the base of the sundance where the birds seem to like hiding when startled. I have also brought and planted another two hollies so they have berries through the winter the one holly is now about 8ft high and filling out nicely.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Hang on I may have starlings do they travel in groups? I have about 8-10 of somethng that swoop in then swoop out again, similar description.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Lovely garden Kazz, and I love you Acer, which I think is a Japanese Maple? It looks like mine anyway, they're my absolute favourite plants.

Hiya H Thanks for the tip about the fat balls at the moment, coz mine have being going mad for them lately, and I've run out for the 2nd time this week, so I won't be replacing them then? I will nip off to Tesco in the morning and get the Hi Life coz I tried yesterday to get the mealworms without any luck, only those dried things that they don't like. I have loads of babies in my little bird sanctuary at the moment, and last night I was watching a blackbird feeding her youngsters, and everything has paired off nicely to there'll be more little babies to watch soon. I've got loads of blue tits, great tits and greenfinches at the moment, as well as my normal blackbirds, thrushes, starlings, and dear little bossy robins! Those robins certainly keep the place in check don't they! Sad I know, but it brightens my day peering at them (wasting more time!!!)out of the kitchen window, especially now that Dave has bought me a superb bird book so I can look up the ones I don't know. Sadly, the woodpecker didn't come back though, can't imagine why, when this is the best cafe around on the South Coast!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Cleo looks happy sitting in the sun there Kazz Our cat Polly was quite an active girl too, so it's only since she passed away that we've been able to feed the birds. I don't profess to know alot about it, I just know what I know if you know what I mean, and if any of it helps you to enjoy your twitching then I'm always happy to spill the beans

Hiya H me ole muck, sorry I've not been around but this redundancy thing has knocked me sideways a bit (trust a birdie thread to bring me out though eh? ) once I've sorted it out properly I'll be back to inflict my usual drivvle on the boards xx
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Okay I have not thrown the fat balls away but won't replace them until Autumn time.

Okay following your instruction about 10ft away from the bird table I have positioned an old piece of tree trunk/thick branch and fixed it into the ground with stakes its about 3&1/2 foot off the ground now between two shrubs and in front of the large holly - then put a piece of flat wood on the top like a tray but cut the stump on an angle so it slopes slightly and put edging round the board with gap at the one end both sides I have put on there, seed and a little grated cheese. I am using that as a half way measure as I can't put the food on the ground the dogs will eat it, the stump has two offshots that in winder I will put seed feeders off. In between the two tables is the bird bath - should work I hope.

PS I have sultana's in soaking for tomorrow
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Sounds good I have to go out in a minute to watch OH race, but maybe later or tomorrow I'll take some snaps to show what I do and I'll have a good look for that poster for you.

If your 'gang' are a bit rowdy and walk like Charlie Chaplin they might well be Starlings, last year 'ours' had some sort of house warming party and there were over 30 on the lawn
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2006, 02:31 PM
This is my apple tree with all my bird feeding stuff, there are peanut feeders around the back of the tree which can't be seen on this piccy. I have taken the advice given on this thread and taken down the little green net bags of fat balls. I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been said, thanks for the advice.

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Well an update I have been besieged. Honestly I must be raising at least 6-7 + families of sparrows, the parents (I assume) fly in eat a little then grab a beak full and fly off. Back less than 5 minutes later off they go again. plus the starlings I have a few now at least 2 regular as they land on the trellis and adore the summer "block" of goodies in the cage thing.

I have now gained a bird that "sings" whistles/chirrups really loud when he/she sits on the top of the trellis announcing his presence. before eating, no idea what he is but has a tail that goes straight up at a right angle fromhis back.

I also have a baby sparrrow I think that "lives" under the bush he has been with me for 2/3 days now at first his parents popped down and occasionaly fed him now he is pretty much self sufficent. but spends a lot of the day under the red robin bush by the ground saucer of food and water far from daft he is getting braver though and was gone for a fair few hours today and I worried about him. He is called Oliver as in Twist.

Also removed the fat balls bar one, which is still there have replaced the seed feeder with fresh seed, niger seeds and sunflower hearts. have added one of nuts (not a lot of interest though) also added a sunflower bell (dried sunflowers in shape of a bell for hanging) they like that they still like the soaked currants they eat those. Not got the meat eaters sussed yet but I will.

So all in all kinda good start. I have to top up the table at least twice a day now. First thing about 5am then between 12-2 and finaly retop it up about 5 so they can eat before sleep. Spoilt birds now or what. They after all these years have started to use my bird bath too never seen a bird near it before
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz
This is my apple tree with all my bird feeding stuff, there are peanut feeders around the back of the tree which can't be seen on this piccy. I have taken the advice given on this thread and taken down the little green net bags of fat balls. I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been said, thanks for the advice.
WHat are those things on the right of the picture? attached to the main trunk? look like corn on the cob from where I look? and do they like them?

See what you mean about the fat balls holder. I will get one or three.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz

I have now gained a bird that "sings" whistles/chirrups really loud when he/she sits on the top of the trellis announcing his presence. before eating, no idea what he is but has a tail that goes straight up at a right angle fromhis back.
That sounds like a wren to me. Very small? Reddish brown? They have incredibly loud voices for their size.

It doesn't take long for word to get around about a new bird-table! Mine seems to be constantly thronged all day long with birds literally pushing each other out of the way to get to the food. I could watch all day.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >