Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 09:45 PM

New bird table/feeder and inner city birds

Well I finaly got round to assembling my new bird feeder/table, I've also attached a seed feeder to it and a fat ball and put the remaining fat balls on the back of the fence along with the suet feeder. The birds have been in, in their droves must be proper inner city birds as they dived in straight off. I thought it took them 3 weeks or so to become used to a new feeder.

The feeder/table is behind the acer (which is just coming into leaf) don't look at the garden its a mess.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 10:00 PM
aww your garden looks lovely with all the colours and feeders well done to you i bet them city birds are well pleased food on the go briliant
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2006, 10:15 PM
It's so rewarding to have a bird-table isn't it? It gets a bit addictive though. I started off with one bird table with one seed-feeder attached. I now have 7 or 8 different kinds of feeds hung from every available branch and bracket and even more food scattered on the patio for the doves and dunnocks etc! I probably spend as much on bird food as I do on dog food now. You'll find the birds might get quite tame as they get used to you feeding them. I quite often get birdy visitors following me when I do my gardening now. They expect food every time they see me outside!

I can't see how you think your garden is messy! It looks very well kept to me.
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-04-2006, 10:17 PM
wonderful garden kazz, the colours are lovely, i love to watch the birds around the feeders, i find it very relaxing
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks all I hope the birds do carry on coming, I have not been able to feed or encourage them when I had Oscar (cat) he thought bird tables and feeders were my way of encouraging him to have take away food but he was PTS last year and his sister Cleo at 23 is to old to bother the birds, but Oscar wasn't even at 23 . So I decided to have a go. And the feeder/table/etc went up yesterday and in came the birds almost as soon as I moved away. Odd as far as I know no one else feeds them by me. Maybe thats why they came in in a rush.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Get some sunflower hearts/kernels the Gold Finches will come in flocks!
Dawn.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Get some sunflower hearts/kernels the Gold Finches will come in flocks!
Dawn.

Really Thanks Dawn.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
My grandaughter, Kiah(3), and I feed the birds regularly in my garden. I have all sorts of birdfeeders hung from my apple tree but all I seem to get are sparrows (not that I mind sparrows), starlings, blue tits and now, all of a sudden, a single collared dove.

I put out fat balls, Niger seeds, ordinary wild bird food, Robin mix(with the little dried insects in!) and the suet blocks. I also attach millet to my tree.

It is a regular routine every Saturday to make sure all the bird feeders are filled up and put back on the tree, Kiah loves doing it. She can't feed them at home as the next door neighbour complains about the blackbirds fighting!!!Sad eh???
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Tell the people next door to get a life. Thats sad.

But lovely she likes feeding the birds. Try sunflower seeds as suggested by Dawn I will to and see if we get any gold finches. I'll race you to the first goldfinch....mind you I have no idea what they look like.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
My goldfinches love nyger seed (I think it's just thistle seeds). They're beautiful little birds - red faces, yellow wing flashes and black and white barring on the wings when they're flying. They make me laugh as well because when they're not flying you can see they have pale fronts with two little dark triangles on the breast. It looks just like they're wearing bikinis!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »