Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Alot to think about I agree, what d'you think will be best - tea leaves or crystal ball?
I think it will have to be gypsy rose and her crystal ball :smt101 :smt101 and you never know, could be a tall dark handsome man heading your way! :smt107
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Hiya!
I think you answered your dilemma youself when you said that all of your quality of life would improve dramatically...go for it, depending on how the house feels when you get inside, if it was me, after everything you've said on here, I'd be getting valuations on my current house! Life's too sort, go for happiness!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Hiya H. Well I see the jury's still out on this dilema then???

It sounds to me like you want to follow your heart on this one. Just something else I thought of though. When we moved here 20 yrs. ago (blimey!) we were originally looking at ultra posh houses on a new estate, thatched roofs, big houses right next to a new golf course, and we could actually have bought one outright at a pinch, BUT, we decided on going cheaper, buying this one and having a nice car and some of the finer things in life, and me not working. When I look back now though, 20 yrs. on, those particular houses are now fetching 2/3rds of a million, whereas my little bungalow is worth only about £300k!!! Oh I wish!!! Does that make ya think then??
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Does that make ya think then??
Yes BUT please tell me that life is not just about the money?! We are both working our swingers off to pay for a mortgage that when it finishes, will still be short - we cannot afford to do anything about it now, as you know we are £400 ish down per month 'cos of OH job change. So we are looking at being free of house debt by the time we're 60!!! Will I still be able to trampoline at 60? Look at your Olds, they are loaded but I cannot remember you saying that they do anything with it - they will just die and leave it to their children - makes no sense to me mate
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes BUT please tell me that life is not just about the money?! We are both working our swingers off to pay for a mortgage that when it finishes, will still be short - we cannot afford to do anything about it now, as you know we are £400 ish down per month 'cos of OH job change. So we are looking at being free of house debt by the time we're 60!!! Will I still be able to trampoline at 60? Look at your Olds, they are loaded but I cannot remember you saying that they do anything with it - they will just die and leave it to their children - makes no sense to me mate
You can still do stuff at 60 if you look after yourself. My dad is super-fit and in his 70's.

It isn't all about the money, course not - but having some cash helps. I guess it's all about balance in life and I'd put health and happiness before super-wealth. Being house-debt-free by the time you're 60 is a great thing to aim for.

One more thought - if you go back to the estate, could you invest the extra cash in a buy-to-let?
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2006, 03:33 PM
All I'm going to say is good luck in your decision Heather

About 5 minutes ago I wrote what I thought and I think 'the hand of god' moved my hand and the whole lot went........ping

So good luck!

Chris x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 03:58 PM
agree good luck on what you decide
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 06:40 PM
No H, life isn't all about money, but it's nice to be "comfortable" when you're "old-ish" like me, so if Dave ever got ill, and couldn't work, or I couldn't, it's not the end of the World, and when we get really old and are on a pension, it's nice to know that we can then downsize to a reasonable place with money to spare to be "comfortable" again in our old age. I hate the thought of these poor pensioners struggling to pay all the bills on a pension alone even though they might be mortgage free, but if you haven't got money in the house to do the downsizing bit, then unless you've got a lot invested, that's where you'll be. However, having said all that I can see where you're coming from, what with your current shortfall in wages etc. etc. it would be nice to live in a more comfortable zone now wouldn't it, and this would enable you to do that. My sister in law has taken out their new mortgage on a 14yr. plan (instead of 25) and I can't for the life of me understand why, when they are scrimping and scraping for every penny every week with 3 kids to look after, but she wants to be mortgage free asap. It's all horses for courses isn't it, and what suits who, and in your case, I can now see it might be better for you to move back to where you were, have your friends around you, and enjoy your life (bit like we did then!)I just hope you don't regret doing it months/years down the line that's all.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2006, 10:22 AM
hi!!!
You'll make the right decision for you and your family I'm sure.
As an aside my brother in law died of cancer at 45, it's great to plan ahead, but not to put all your eggs in the 'when I'm old' basket! Be happy in whatever you do!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Have you been to see inside the house and made any decisions yet???!!!! Or shouldn't I ask????
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >