Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
I don't know about other breeds but my GSD can spot another and show excitement whereas most other dogs don't interest him.

Re the mirror, my GSD didn't get phased at all when he approached a mirror. He just sniffed and walked away. I had a black Lab that went bonkers when he caught sight of himself.
I agree, my gsd always hones in to her own breed, and these are the only dogs she tends to actually play with, rather than tolerate. She behaved the same when we had mirrors on the floor during our move, she was totally unphased by seeing herself in there and seeing she didn't look anything like me
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by missyj View Post
How does a dog know wot it looks like?????

Not like they spend time checking themselves out in a mirror????
Ok, then change it to ...it's not good for dogs to only be trained with dogs that all look the same.....
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by missyj View Post
How does a dog know wot it looks like?????

Not like they spend time checking themselves out in a mirror????
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Ok, then change it to ...it's not good for dogs to only be trained with dogs that all look the same.....
Agreed Catrinsparkles. Big puppies need to learn to play gently and little puppies need to learn not to be afraid of bigger dogs. They need to learn this in a supervised environment during the imprint period preferably.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Following on from my last post, I also think that all pups need to have a good romp with pups their own size. They also need to be put in their place by a friendly adult dog after their puppy licence has expired to know where to draw the line.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Emma, found this whilst surfing. Quite a good idea to use at a distance so your dog doesn't work out it isn't real. Good for you initial BAT training maybe? Being able to change the toy dog's body language should be a good training aid ie move the tail from down/up to relaxed. As this dog will be frozen and probably your dog too, one of them has to make the first move.........LOL, guess which?
Your dog is going to eventually back off or look at you. Click and treat, move away and praise. You'll probably need a helper unless you are innovative. Anyway, may be worth a try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdBrV8rQ_bo
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8