View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 10:09 AM
APDT, perhaps? That's good because APDT members must follow a code of practice - unfortunately it does not necessarily stop them breaking that code, but it does give a reporting body you can complain to. The APDT website also has a register of members that you can filter by area if you need to locate a trainer

APDT code of practice:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/about_APDT.asp#practice
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
I take him to agility and the couple who run that class also have an obedience class run on ADP (or something like that) which I know from the forum is a good philosophy so will speak to them tomorrow and join their group I think.
There are good and bad and poor in all organisations, this is why I always advise people to go and watch a few lessons given by the trainer(s) to get a broad view of their approach and if they do what they say on the tin!

Remember if your club is KC registered there is a mechanism for complaints within.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi - i did promise to come back after attending the "talk". The trainer was a wonderful person, extremely warm and very approachable, happy to take specific questions. She did begin the session by talking about her history with Jan Fennel. So you were right it was rooted in Jan Fennel's training. There wasn't anything said that I was offended by - it was about being the pack leader/ the alpha, but she stressed this wasn't about being dominant. She didn't agree with any tools i.e choke chains, prong collars, e-collars etc.. thankfully. She didn't agree with clickers either but I think she didn't like watching people trying to use them like remote controls!

From what I recall she was very firm that dogs shouldn't be greeted after separation - so - say - on return from work to wait until the dog settled down and then play with them. They should walk alongside you not pull ahead (as that means they're leading the hunt). Interestingly she said that if they weren't prepared to walk alongside you then they don't get to walk. Like most people that made me feel uncomfortable but she did point out that walking the dog only began after the 2nd WW, before that they would hang around the back yard or the street, which obviously they can't do that now. In addition, in the wild, they wouldn't go for a walk - they would hunt and then just hang out. Dogs she argued could be trained at home in the garden - say -to walk alongside you. In the event of a dog behaving badly - say jumping on the sofa after being told 3 times then they should have a time-out, separated from the pack - say shut in the kitchen but I got the impression this was for a very short time, say 30-60 seconds, not long periods of ignoring them.

Her dog was there - and he seemed a very happy chap, not one of those super-trained dogs - spent the duration of the meeting wandering from person to person for a stroke, had very good recall - and occasionally barked when he heard someone going past. I must admit to envying her having such a good dog.

I hope I've explained everything. I am willing to try anything to give my dog a good life - as long as it doesn't involve any harsh punishments or corrections, so would feel happy trying out what she was suggesting.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Sorry a quick PS - i don't think I'd be happy denying my dog a walk - like I said before I'd suffer more than him!

Hi - i did promise to come back after attending the "talk". The trainer was a wonderful person, extremely warm and very approachable, happy to take specific questions. She did begin the session by talking about her history with Jan Fennel. So you were right it was rooted in Jan Fennel's training. There wasn't anything said that I was offended by - it was about being the pack leader/ the alpha, but she stressed this wasn't about being dominant. She didn't agree with any tools i.e choke chains, prong collars, e-collars etc.. thankfully. She didn't agree with clickers either but I think she didn't like watching people trying to use them like remote controls!

From what I recall she was very firm that dogs shouldn't be greeted after separation - so - say - on return from work to wait until the dog settled down and then play with them. They should walk alongside you not pull ahead (as that means they're leading the hunt). Interestingly she said that if they weren't prepared to walk alongside you then they don't get to walk. Like most people that made me feel uncomfortable but she did point out that walking the dog only began after the 2nd WW, before that they would hang around the back yard or the street, which obviously they can't do that now. In addition, in the wild, they wouldn't go for a walk - they would hunt and then just hang out. Dogs she argued could be trained at home in the garden - say -to walk alongside you. In the event of a dog behaving badly - say jumping on the sofa after being told 3 times then they should have a time-out, separated from the pack - say shut in the kitchen but I got the impression this was for a very short time, say 30-60 seconds, not long periods of ignoring them.

Her dog was there - and he seemed a very happy chap, not one of those super-trained dogs - spent the duration of the meeting wandering from person to person for a stroke, had very good recall - and occasionally barked when he heard someone going past. I must admit to envying her having such a good dog.

I hope I've explained everything. I am willing to try anything to give my dog a good life - as long as it doesn't involve any harsh punishments or corrections, so would feel happy trying out what she was suggesting.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 07:22 PM
But, sorry to be dim, what are her techniques which differentiate her from others?

What methods does she use or are they, as you suggest those of JF?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Sounds like she herself then, has a normal, happy, well adjusted dog, you can't knock her for that!
Glad you went for the experience, and you should carry on with it, if it suits YOU and what YOU want from your dog, cutting out the bits you don't like! Afterall, she's not going to put you in prison for not shutting your dog in the kitchen, or letting it go through a door before you is she, it's all about feeling comfortable with the person instructing you, and getting the result you want from YOUR dog.

There is no right or wrong way if it works, and if it's a kind method of training, and if it doesn't cause the dog any undue stress or confusion, go with it if you feel comfortable. You can always say you don't like the idea of "this" or "that" and you won't be doing either can't you. At the end of the day, we want our dogs to live in harmony with us at home and out and about without causing us any embarrassment, nobody expects you to go out and win trophies with it if you don't want to, you just want some control and some manners and all will be fine and if this woman can help you with your problems and you feel comfortable then hopefully you can carry on.

Shame about the JF bit, but you can voice your concerns over what you don't agree with and if she doesn't like that, then move on is my advice! Good luck.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 07:50 PM
To be honest I'm not sure what it is that differentiates her from others. I don't know anything about Jan Fennel so I'm not sure if what Pam was suggesting was the same or a slight variation.

She didn't think obedience classes were necessary - asking why train a dog to sit, go down etc? She did say however that it was more like icing on the top - but not necessary.

I was impressed with her dog - mostly because the dog seemed very happy. He wasn't like a coiled spring waiting for the next command but seemed very relaxed and happy - could of course be genetics. She wasn't precious about her dog either - he was lively and she wasn't bothered, she treated him and accepted him as a dog which I found quite reassuring.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But, sorry to be dim, what are her techniques which differentiate her from others?

What methods does she use or are they, as you suggest those of JF?
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I couldn't agree more. I think there is so much variation in dogs' personalities that it's dangerous to suggest one size fits all and of course they're all products of their backgrounds (especially rescues - as is mine) and genes. I couldn't possibly punish my boy with violence or anything that physically hurts him but I've raised my voice louder than I should and probably pushed him firmly out the way when he's trying to chew my shoe when it's still on my foot! He still behaves like a rebellious teenager with severe attention deficit syndrom most of the time - but I will work with what I've got and if ignoring him when I get home and forcing him to have time-outs makes him happy and balanced then that's what I'll do.

one thing I know for sure - the boy is never going to win prizes!!!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sounds like she herself then, has a normal, happy, well adjusted dog, you can't knock her for that!
Glad you went for the experience, and you should carry on with it, if it suits YOU and what YOU want from your dog, cutting out the bits you don't like! Afterall, she's not going to put you in prison for not shutting your dog in the kitchen, or letting it go through a door before you is she, it's all about feeling comfortable with the person instructing you, and getting the result you want from YOUR dog.

There is no right or wrong way if it works, and if it's a kind method of training, and if it doesn't cause the dog any undue stress or confusion, go with it if you feel comfortable. You can always say you don't like the idea of "this" or "that" and you won't be doing either can't you. At the end of the day, we want our dogs to live in harmony with us at home and out and about without causing us any embarrassment, nobody expects you to go out and win trophies with it if you don't want to, you just want some control and some manners and all will be fine and if this woman can help you with your problems and you feel comfortable then hopefully you can carry on.

Shame about the JF bit, but you can voice your concerns over what you don't agree with and if she doesn't like that, then move on is my advice! Good luck.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I couldn't agree more. I think there is so much variation in dogs' personalities that it's dangerous to suggest one size fits all and of course they're all products of their backgrounds (especially rescues - as is mine) and genes. I couldn't possibly punish my boy with violence or anything that physically hurts him but I've raised my voice louder than I should and probably pushed him firmly out the way when he's trying to chew my shoe when it's still on my foot! He still behaves like a rebellious teenager with severe attention deficit syndrom most of the time - but I will work with what I've got and if ignoring him when I get home and forcing him to have time-outs makes him happy and balanced then that's what I'll do.

one thing I know for sure - the boy is never going to win prizes!!!
Sounds like you've got your head screwed on the right way then! They're all different, some have speshall needs If I were to ever SHOUT at my girl, she would go in her bed and sulk, she's such a sensitive soul, but I already know that about her, so I never have to do it, I would stop myself first. My previous dog, however, only responded to shouts, but he was a rescue, it was what he was used to, and it got the job done that I wanted, and if it aint broke....

You always have to go with what you feel comfortable with doing to get a result of having a well behaved, stable dog, and above all a HAPPY dog, just like she has and you'll get there.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:32 PM
She didn't think obedience classes were necessary - asking why train a dog to sit, go down etc? She did say however that it was more like icing on the top - but not necessary.
Are you sure that's what she said?
If so, then I am a bit
And it begs the question, what exactly are you going there to learn?

I can't believe a trainer really said that 'sits' and 'downs' etc aren't necessary! That's akin to not teaching your children how to cross a road safely.

Now I do have an obedient and well-trained dog (95% of the time anyway! ) and he is certainly not a robot - just civil, and well-mannered, as you would hope a nice dog would be. If he does act up or put a paw wrong, he is easy to get under control again. And, added to that, he loves to learn new things, tricks and commands - it really floats his boat, and mental stimulation for many dogs is more important than physical exercise. He is most certainly not a Stepford Dog!

If this person is implying that well-trained dogs are all robots, then please, please find a different class.
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »