View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Well I have to say I'd have loved to see someone convince Rupert that praise and a fuss were better than going off killing other animals. If he were still here I'd have volunteered him since I gather from what you're saying that you're not about to hang a dog or use certain devices that shall not be mentioned.
Havers4dogs
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
'restrictive with your attention'

So you isolate the dog until it is so emotionally worried that it wants your attention.

Thats why gundogs that are kenneled are so keen to work.

rune
A tad literal in interpretation. A working dog is bred to do a job, yet it should need instruction and permission from the owner before the dog believes it can carry out the tasks for which it was bred, if you are indeed working it like that. If a dog, and this applies to any dog, believes it can operate and carry out its decisions without reference to you, then what is the point of you? They are "independent " because they engender repeated commands and by apparently ignoring all best attempts, the use our lack of patience to make us resort to food. These type of dogs are absolute masters at exploiting our emotional weaknesses, the majority of dogs are good at it, the "independent" breeds are just better at making us change our behaviour before they will change theirs. Who is in charge?
Havers4dogs
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Has everyone taken a grumpy pill tonight?

Just once it would be nice to read a thread started by a new member who has perhaps some differing opinions on how to go about things, without seeing the inevitable attack from the pack.

Tut. Being friendly doesn't hurt anybody does it
Thank you but I am happy to answer any questions. Different approaches are difficult to accept and take time and patience to explain and be understood, just like communicating with our dogs really!
Havers4dogs
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Well I have to say I'd have loved to see someone convince Rupert that praise and a fuss were better than going off killing other animals. If he were still here I'd have volunteered him since I gather from what you're saying that you're not about to hang a dog or use certain devices that shall not be mentioned.
You are right, I use only a collar and lead and never hang a dog. I am sorry for your loss, despite his behaviour, it sounds like you loved Rupert a great deal.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Havers4dogs View Post
It is interesting this reference to the more independent breeds and how they are deemed to be more difficult to establish a connection with. Yes, I agree they can require a little more patience but with any working breed, engaging their brain by letting them work out for themselves what you want by being carefully restrictive with your attention, they learn to enjoy the fact their owner is stimulating them mentally without having to be engaged in an activity.
Where did I say that? I've had shar-pei for almost 20 years and a Tibetan Mastiff for 7. They are anything but hard to establish a connection with! They are very easy to establish a bond with (all mine have been 7 months to 5 years old when I got them) and teach how to do things. If anything, the problem is they can very easily work out what you want, but this does not equate with them being desperate to please you or get your attention. And I don't mean they are doing things on their terms because they've been allowed to by me.
Havers4dogs
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
What a lot of scepticism on here!!

I believe your methods can be very effective and can't wait for the show.
Thank you. We have all been sceptical about things in our lives, it is what makes us what we are. I am always happy to explain what I do because I believe in it completely.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:13 PM
A tad literal in interpretation. A working dog is bred to do a job, yet it should need instruction and permission from the owner before the dog believes it can carry out the tasks for which it was bred, if you are indeed working it like that. If a dog, and this applies to any dog, believes it can operate and carry out its decisions without reference to you, then what is the point of you? They are "independent " because they engender repeated commands and by apparently ignoring all best attempts, the use our lack of patience to make us resort to food. These type of dogs are absolute masters at exploiting our emotional weaknesses, the majority of dogs are good at it, the "independent" breeds are just better at making us change our behaviour before they will change theirs. Who is in charge?
i like the fact that my dogs can choose to do somthing that they want to do
yes if they want to do somthing that they shouldnt then they get told to stop but they dont have to wait to be told what they can do all the time
i have a feeling you like "robot" dogs, they only do what you tell them to do
Havers4dogs
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
Where did I say that? I've had shar-pei for almost 20 years and a Tibetan Mastiff for 7. They are anything but hard to establish a connection with! They are very easy to establish a bond with (all mine have been 7 months to 5 years old when I got them) and teach how to do things. If anything, the problem is they can very easily work out what you want, but this does not equate with them being desperate to please you or get your attention. And I don't mean they are doing things on their terms because they've been allowed to by me.
Sorry, this was not a direct comment but speaking generally so please do not take it to heart. I had Terriers in particular in mind.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2012, 08:15 PM
You are right, I use only a collar and lead and never hang a dog. I am sorry for your loss, despite his behaviour, it sounds like you loved Rupert a great deal.
Thank you, he was certainly loved. His desire to kill things was only one of his problems though. He came to me with more baggage than an international airport and I think he could have filled a whole series on his own
Havers4dogs
New Member!
Male 

25-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
i like the fact that my dogs can choose to do somthing that they want to do
yes if they want to do somthing that they shouldnt then they get told to stop but they dont have to wait to be told what they can do all the time
i have a feeling you like "robot" dogs, they only do what you tell them to do
I can see where you are coming from, my own dogs have a free reign and spend most of their time off lead, even around other dogs because they have earned my trust and I have earned theirs. I can stop them from getting too excited from a distance and have a recall that gets an immediate response. Because of their calm demeanour, I can take them anywhere and they will not react to external stimulation. Freedom is earned on both sides. I hope that helps?
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >