Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FairyToes
New Member!
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I wonder if your dog understands that being able to stare at a meatball for a period of time should also equate to her liking other dogs
I mentioned this to illustrate her level of obedience and eagerness to please. She responds instantly to hand signals & quiet commands.
I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't think anybody has an issue with you not wanting your dog on the furniture, that's your choice. It's your implying that anyone who does allow it has low standards and badly behaved dogs that people have taken offence to.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by FairyToes View Post
I mentioned this to illustrate her level of obedience and eagerness to please. She responds instantly to hand signals & quiet commands.
I was having a laugh, at your expense admittedly but then I did take a bit of offense at the attitude of your post!!

Your logic makes no sense. Your dog is "obediant" because she doesn't get on furniture etc and therefore shouldn't be fear aggressive. But she is. Yet others who have non-fear aggressive dogs, or did have but successfully worked on it, are pooh-poohed by you because they let the dog on furniture?

The two (obedience training v fear aggression) are in no way linked, hence my joke.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by FairyToes View Post
It is great that she is so smart and easy to please
But agression whether it is fear based barrior frustration, guarding behaviour has nothing to do with obedience. I can understand that people you have seen with badly behaived dogs are alowd on sofas, but that does not mean that all dogs who are alowed on sofas are out of control - I would take a guess that the owners you have seen also do not train other manners
and as you are seeing not being on the sofa etc does not help address the problem of aggressive behaviour

OK if you feel it is safe to drive as you do - but in reality you are reinforcing her behaviour - she sees a dog, thinks something bad is going to happen - the car suddenly goes all erratic and you get unhappy with her
so to her seeing a new dog is a bad experience

also I have seen from experience the more they get wound up by seeing other dogs and reacting to them then the more wound up they are in general, it takes longer for them to calm down and they react more to things
Hence why I suggested the covered crate then you can totaly control when she sees other dogs

If it is as quiet as you say can you stop your car (gently) when you see another dog - before she reacts, and then reward her the whole time the dog is in view then drive off when the dog has gone - then you are still more in control of the interactions

also I wouldnt want my dog having to tell other dogs to back off from me especially in a chilled out house situation
imo it is up to me whether I interact with another dog or not - that is not up to my dog to decide - so if I dont want the other dog close to me I get it to move. If I do then I train my dog to be comfy with the idea of having other dogs around me
more so especially not to rely on the judgment of an agressive dog, thats not fair on her to have to have that job
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I don't think anybody has an issue with you not wanting your dog on the furniture, that's your choice. It's your implying that anyone who does allow it has low standards and badly behaved dogs that people have taken offence to.
Well said.
It is totally your choice whether or not you let your dog on the furniture and I can understand why you may not want them to share your bed or sofa, especially for a big dog. The GSD I look after is not allowed on the bed.

My dog has boundaries of what she is and is not allowed to do indoors. She goes on the sofa because that is allowed, but will not steal things as that is not.... Have a look at the dogsey trick training session or read through some of the threads and you will see people have very obedient dogs who eagerly comply to commands but are allowed on the sofa.. its a matter of free choice.

Regarding not putting a crate in the car; that's fine just remember that the more your dog practises the behavior the more ingrained it becomes. I wouldn't have thought slowing the car down and saying no will help.

The trouble is with barking a things is that it is in itself rewarding to the dog. The dog barks, your car moves therefore the distance between the dog and your dog has gown. Your dogs barking has been successful or your dog feels better about the situation.
This is why preventing the behavior from happening in the first place is often successful.

If your dog is still whining, whingeing or acting up then you are too close. Move away where there is no reaction and reward for that.
Personally I would avoid having a reaction then waiting for it to calm as for my dog this puts her on edge and makes her more alert and reactive. Starting off at a far enough distance so there is NO reaction is an easier place to begin. Personally my aim in a training session would be to avoid any type of reactions where possible. This builds up positive experiences, and soon these will start to outweigh the bad and the good becomes a habit in itself.
Wearywolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-02-2012, 04:22 PM
My collie who is an elderly gent now, was a rescue and did have fear aggression which we worked on for a few years. He is not interested in getting on the furniture or bed etc.

My standard poodle and Irish Water Spaniel join us on the sofa, and bed, they are very obedient and have no issues!

Im a dog trainer that only uses positive methods. Thats my choice what rules I have in my house. Doesnt mean that they take over, or are the "alpha". If we ask them to get off they will do, particularly if we have guests. Each home has a different set of rules or mixed rules!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I am also confused as to why Fairy even bought up sofas and beds when she was asking how to deal with a fearful dog.
If i were inclined to share my experience of numerous fearful dogs as regards the situations Fairy mentioned, why on earth would i be talking about sofas
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 04:53 PM
My dogs are not fearful of the sofa---or my bed.

rune
FairyToes
New Member!
Female 

29-02-2012, 06:58 PM
"As a general rule, most experts agree that dogs should be discouraged from bed-sharing."
So, you see, this is not just my supposedly arrogant opinion. Every book I have read on dog training adheres to this same advice. Not only are there dominance issues involved, but hygienic issues as well.
Every dog I've ever known (owned by other people) that is allowed on furniture has behavioral problems, does not regard their owner as alpha, does not mind or show what I consider proper manners.
Maybe I am on the wrong site.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry I can't help with your dog's aggression issues, but I would just like to point out that my dogs (which have no such issues) share the furniture with me and jump up when invited, and my jack Russell sleeps in my bed - she is also the most well behaved dog I know. My dogs don't see me as 'alpha' - they see me as the human they live with, who provides for them, trains them and loves them.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »