Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bustgan
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys.

I have EXCELLENT news.

We have already found George a home with a couple who own 2 other rottweilers and have done for years.

The only kids they have are 18 & 19 years old.

He will be looked after well in a nice home and be properly trained.

I'm so happy!!

*I have had George for 24hours now and it is clear he is just a pup as the majority of you have said. He is not a dangerous dog at all*

Hurray for George!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Fab news
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Brilliant!

did you get to the bottom of the whole thing?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Well done, thats good news
How did you find them so soon?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by bustgan View Post
Hiya guys thank you for the advice.

I have received further info.

George was on the floor with a chew near where the child was playing with some toys. (The child and the dog WERE supervised)
George dropped his chew, the child reached for one of his toys and George bit him. - George was laying on the floor and did not get up to bite the child.

Went to the vets and she has noted somethings about George.
She told me that there were no reasons for his aggression medically.
She said that George was not an aggressive dog nor dangerous.
She did say however that George is a very dominant dog and seems that he has not been very well trained. Sort of "oh he is a puppy" approch rather than dealing with the issue.

She told me of the options and so far it's not looking so good unfortunatly.
She told me that George can either go to an owner who has NO kids around at all with a very strong background with owning Rottweilers and if fully aware of how to train them.
George can go work for a security company or the police - Which I have been chasing up for all morning.
Or unfortunatly George will need to be put to sleep.

Anyone know of any numbers I could try calling to help George?

*Just wanted to be clear of a few things before this turned into an attack on me.

The reason why I was happy for George to go into this family was because they informed me that they had a history with large dogs like rotties and would be capable to train him. - I belived this as the couple are a family friend.

I DO NOT want to put George to sleep.

I unfortunatly do not have the time to train George myself and my other dog does not like George around.

I can look after my own dog and she has been very well trained and is obident**
O no, this was exactly the same situation as when I was very badly bitten as a 3 year old child. In my case, my stupid mother had left me in the garden of the hairdressers where she was having her hair done, with strict instructions not to touch Susie the red setter because she had a bone of course what did I do, being mad on dogs even then, but go and sit down beside Susie to watch her gnaw on her bone. She dropped the bone, it rolled towards, I crawled on my hands and knees, picked it up to give to her, and she savaged my face, obviously thinking that I was going to take the bone away. Completely and utterly the fault of my mother for being mad enough to leave me alone with a large dog who, incidentally, was a lovely dog. Luckily my mother accepted full responsibility for the whole thing, calmed down the distraught owner, got the doctor round to see to my face and insisted that the dog should not be put down, rightly or wrongly.

That was 54 years ago ... there is no excuse nowadays for such crass stupidity as to allow a child anywhere near a 7 month old rottweiler with a chew, who seemingly is a bit of a handful with dominance issues. I hate to point the finger, but this is yet again a case of the wrong type of people having the wrong type of dog. If they did say "ah bless, he's only a puppy" whenever he showed signs of dominance, then very clearly they are not the right people to have a guard breed like a rottie. Poor, poor dog, and poor, poor child. I really hope this dog gets a second chance and is rehomed to some sensible people without young children who are experienced with rotties or similar breeds.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys.

I have EXCELLENT news.

We have already found George a home with a couple who own 2 other rottweilers and have done for years.

I'm so happy!!

*I have had George for 24hours now and it is clear he is just a pup as the majority of you have said. He is not a dangerous dog at all*

Hurray for George!!
O great! I have just read your good news. What a happy ending, big, big hugs to George, yourself and the new owners, they sound really appropriate, I'm thrilled.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Sorry - but I'm on the side of the dog here.

A tired pup, just home from training, eating a highly valued chew, and who gave a warning growl

IMO this incident lies squarely in the lap of the owners.....

Absolutely agree, well said!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
That is fabulous news for George I wish him all the best in his new home.

Where did you find his new owners? And also, for your own piece of mind, I would still be keen to find out what actually happened.

Will the new owner keep in touch with you to let you know how George is getting on?
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm really glad this has a happy ending for George I've read all the posts and though I don't have as much dog knowledge and experience like a lot of people hear, the first thing that sprung to my mind was the pup was resource guarding and thought that the child was going to take the chew. The pup needs training, as do the previous owners! LOL! I'm sure George will get on great with his new owners xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys.

I have EXCELLENT news.

I'm so happy!!

Hurray for George!!
What WONDERFUL NEWS! - I'm so happy to be reading this.... GO GEORGE!
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >