View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I would find out exactly how long they left a small child with a tired puppy. (assuming its the dog that is 7 months? Has just been to training so may need peace at that time) What sounds they heard etc. (If they heard growling, the dog did warn, not just suddenly attack)

Just noticed your further details. A male rott that has just reached the beginning of adolecence eating (high value treat) next to a small child (who won't know the warning signs) who is playing right next to the dog at the time. I think thats irresponsible and risky. Sounds like he was guarding his chew bone. I doubt the police would want a dog that has bitten a child to work for them. I do think that he needs firm rules. I think a home with someone who has a lot of experience of the breed would be his best option.

Can I suggest taking the information from the parents of the child bitten with a grain of salt, as they may be less than forthcoming with the truth of the incident if they are feeling guilty about not really supervising the dog and the child?

Good luck, hope you can find a home for him
I agree with that, they went from hearing a growl, to being there. When you hear a growl near a child the dog would be corrected and the child dealt with that second. It just all sounds a bit patchy. If supervised then why would the child be right next to the dog who is eating a chew in the first place?

I'd ask what sort of routine he had too, did he get time in a crate, did he get sent to his own area, did he get to touch the childs toys, did he usually eat with the child so close, ask about every detail.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
I'll probably get flamed for this post but if after the vet check there is no medical reason for the dogs reaction. I would seriously be considering the PTS option. Once a dog bites a person once (if there is no obvious medical or pain reaction) in likelihood it will do it again.

a fallacy

We are all dog owners here and we have to take responsibility for that.

we do, the OP has

Any dog that bites a child (or adult for that matter) puts all dogs in Danger.

not a very reasoned considered argument

This where we get the control orders and people scared of dogs from and some breeds withy dodgy reputations.

no, we get them due to some breeds of human with dodgy reputations

Even if there is no obvious reason for the attack and no medical reason. I would not keep the dog or the possibility of it harming another child.

actually a fair point, but here's the rub, you dont know if there was a reason, in fact, you know nothing about the incident at all. no one does, the OP doesnt yet.
its a bit early to make diagnoses such as the 'taste of blood' theory and he must be PTS.
Im not anti PTS, btw.

To risk another child is not an option.

Again, what risk to what children?
No one has any details yet.

No matter how much you try and limit it's exposure to children there is always the risk the dog could get out.

Indeed, there is always the risk the dog has no issue with children at all, it was something else.

Also I would (and I assume the OP wouldn't) pass a possible aggressive dog onto someone else (your just giving someone else that problem.

Indeed, if we know therein lays a problem. We dont yet

Dog owners have a habit of saying it's not the dogs fault etc.

no, they have a habit of saying we should check out all the facts before jumping to conclusions and making snap judgements
Child owners would do the same thing, i think

In reality we have companion animals it's our responsibility to ensure there wellbeing and that they are safe to be around others.

Just what everyone else has just been saying

Children poke and prod dogs. That's what children do so they cannot be blamed.

Indeed, that's why we blame parents....and recommend the guidelines in your paragraph i have highlighted above

I'm afraid if

'if', indeed

the dog is a possible danger the PTS option needs to be seriously considered no matter how upsetting.

no arguement from me

As if another attack happened and you could have stopped it could you forgivr yourself.
no argument from me
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry - but I'm on the side of the dog here.

A tired pup, just home from training, eating a highly valued chew, and who gave a warning growl

IMO this incident lies squarely in the lap of the owners.....

mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

A tired pup, just home from training, eating a highly valued chew, and who gave a warning growl

totally agree...
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
please gather all the facts before making any decisions, for the dogs sake and the childs. Yes children poke and prod dogs, nobody knows what this child has been taught regarding being around dogs, or what the dog has been taught around children.... well done for taking the dog back, its your chance to investigate fully and monitor his behaviour and hopefully give him a second chance, big responsibility hope all works out well x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

i am too, and i agree completely with your post.
ally s
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Having two toy poodles, I'm not sure how qualified I am to even post a reply here but it seems to me wrong that a dog so young be PTS because of a bite in these circumstances.

There is a large breed rescue society in Kent who have a website and I'm sure they could give you some advice.

Good luck
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
sorry but from what ive read this dog does no deserve to be PTS! you bred him and because of that you have a responsibility towards him, im not anti PTS where its warranted, but how could your vet assess a dog she/hes only seen once??! as difficult or inconvienient as it maybe for you, you took the dog back. if you now have him PTS then taking him back was pointless. please give him some time to adjust to his new enviroment and then monitor his temprement, as a Rotty owner/breeder you must have this ability? or at least give him time while you find a rescue for him. hes only a young and the fact that he growled shows he was warning, id be worried if he just launched into an attack but as this wasnt the case he deserves a second chance with the right owner.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
From the actual scarce information here, it sounds like the adolescent dog has been poorly handled/raised and possibly has a healthy dose of food aggression. I would think the best place for this young dog is an experienced rottie/large breed person who knows exactly what they are doing.

Be careful about just offloading the dog also...he has to go to experienced people as opposed to a behaviourist. In experienced hands, the dog will very likely be fine once he is managed properly.

Just my 0.02.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2010, 04:26 PM
not a rotty, but i have a 7 month old springer with me on foster at the moment who was left at the vets to be PTS because he had nicked a toy and the old owner went to force it out of his mouth and he bit, i have now lived with this dog for the best part of a month, and to be honest i have to take what the old owners said with a pinch of salt, yes he was very mouthy when he came to me, but no more than any other pup, and he had no manners and no boundaries (he was their first dog) , with routine and consistancy we have got over this.

I would suggest that you live with this dog for a while if possible and then decide what type of home is the right one for him, I wouldn't rehome Jake with Kids but i have no problem rehoming him with someone who has had springers before and knows what they need to be content, i suspect this BIG pup will be the same.
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »