Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Surya View Post
Hey up, as we say in Yorkshire, I applied all four aspects. I'm not sure how much it would help a severely unbalanced dog, but know that I saw results.

My dog Jaya, wasn't bad. He would run about the house rather madly, jump around at feeding time, and he calmed down very quickly. The basic training i was doing with him became easier too. He seemed more focused and respectful of me. It also cahnged the way he was with my partner but in a less dramatic way...he still pullls her on the lead. She hasn't really taken the AB on, be well, Surya
Hi there Surya, i am sorry but i have never heard of this AB before now but i will try and read some info on it. and i suppose like any type of training and/or trainer if it works for you and your dog then it can only be a good thing.

suex
Surya
New Member!
Male 

11-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Sue, yea The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell is your best bet from Amazon, X
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey up, as we say in Yorkshire
LOLOL It's 'ay oop 'eear i' god's own county !! Theur mun li' i' eur posh part o' Yorksha ta seh Hey up

Ah dooant need amichien bondin ta gerr eur gran' bon' & respect fra uz dogs, just gran' scran, eur warm bed & common sense.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
Hi there Surya, i am sorry but i have never heard of this AB before now but i will try and read some info on it. and i suppose like any type of training and/or trainer if it works for you and your dog then it can only be a good thing.
I bought the book (in a charity shop) a few years ago and have read it several times.

I did try the recommended steps BUT if you have a sensitive, insecure type of dog (which mine is) then it really does not seem to suit those types, who need a modified form of interaction - outside her recommendations - to really feel part of the family. I felt his behaviour was worse when trying her steps and it served to weaken the bond in that case.

The only thing I have retained is feeding him after I have eaten - and as I usually eat very late at night, this is not down to any leadership issues, but I simply found he settles better at night when fed last thing. Also I am told by vet nurse friends, that feeding just before bedtime can reduce the incidence of bloat (although that is not a big issue with my breed mix).

And no - I don't do the 'cracker eating thing' and never would..... It's almost insulting to an animal with a million-times better scent ability than ours, to expect it to think we are actually eating its dinner, when it can perfectly well distinguish between a dry biscuit and a bowl of dog food!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I have loads of my own dogs and lots of visitors on and off and I never eat before tham, they are greeted when I get in as far as I am able and they go through doors before me----because I don't want my legs broken!!

So far they haven't taken the worldf over.

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey up, as we say in Yorkshire, I applied all four aspects. I'm not sure how much it would help a severely unbalanced dog, but know that I saw results.

My dog Jaya, wasn't bad. He would run about the house rather madly, jump around at feeding time, and he calmed down very quickly. The basic training i was doing with him became easier too. He seemed more focused and respectful of me. It also cahnged the way he was with my partner but in a less dramatic way...he still pullls her on the lead. She hasn't really taken the AB on, be well, Surya
Hello again surya.

I know that the 'top dog procedures' that have been the norm for decades are as follows:
eat before your dog
go thru the doorways before your dog
dont let your dog stand at the top of the stairs looking down at you.
likewise, dont go down on the floor at your dogs level.
dont let your dog on the furniture.
dont let your dog upstairs.

their are one or two others that get added here and there.

but John fisher came up with this list in the 80's.

i know Jan fennell basically repeats this list.

but can you specifically elaborate and tell me what you actually mean by "all four aspects".
im assuming its from the above list?

sorry to be so persistent, as im really trying to get my head around what is actually 'amichien bonding' thru what you have done with your dog.

but the trouble with any AB/JF/Dog Listener websites is if you go on any of them right now, and you click on any tabs such as "technique", "method", "problem solving", they just contain abstract statements, and the one thing the texts dont contain are words actually describing techniques or methods

There is even a breakaway dog listener group as they regarded JF to controlling apparently.
Yet even they do the same thing under the terms method etc.

Also, as per my earlier question, if you consider that AB is definitely a list of specific procedures, how can you then make the statement that people may be doing AB without realising it?

Wouldnt that be like saying to people how do you know you arent driving a car???
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
So far they haven't taken the world over.
Reminds me of this, which is one of my favourite posts on Dogsey ever:
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-blogs.php?t=113522
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I bought the book (in a charity shop) a few years ago and have read it several times.

I did try the recommended steps BUT if you have a sensitive, insecure type of dog (which mine is) then it really does not seem to suit those types, who need a modified form of interaction - outside her recommendations - to really feel part of the family. I felt his behaviour was worse when trying her steps and it served to weaken the bond in that case.

The only thing I have retained is feeding him after I have eaten - and as I usually eat very late at night, this is not down to any leadership issues, but I simply found he settles better at night when fed last thing. Also I am told by vet nurse friends, that feeding just before bedtime can reduce the incidence of bloat (although that is not a big issue with my breed mix).

And no - I don't do the 'cracker eating thing' and never would..... It's almost insulting to an animal with a million-times better scent ability than ours, to expect it to think we are actually eating its dinner, when it can perfectly well distinguish between a dry biscuit and a bowl of dog food!
Oh i have no intention of trying/using it just never come across it before and was interested in what it was about. I have enough on my plate with the training i am doing and am having great success so far so will stick with that, (clicker training) CRACKER'S ?????? BOWL OF DOG FOOD??

SUEX
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have loads of my own dogs and lots of visitors on and off and I never eat before tham, they are greeted when I get in as far as I am able and they go through doors before me----because I don't want my legs broken!!

So far they haven't taken the worldf over.

rune
YUP!!!! Got it all wrong for all the years I have had dogs!!!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I hadn't heard of it. But then I found some information on it and read as far as this:

Like wolves, dogs follow a strict code of hierarchy.
Bzz! Wrong! Try again.

Looks like more alpha/dominance/pack leader BS.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »