View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 02:16 AM
We have a countryside section now? How fab!
I have lived in a city for too many years now but I cannot forget my roots, growing up in a rural farming community, rounding up 100 dairy cows when I was 10, surrounded by pigs and sheep, keeping our own chickens and ducks... and for many kids at my school their only aspiration in life was to drive a tractor...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Channel 4 have 4 on demand Azz.

One day I would like to live somewhere more rural.

I use to work with horses many years ago not in the country though in a small town.

This sounds like it will be an interesting section to pop on take at look at.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:42 AM
We live in the countryside!

We live in a small rural/coastal village in the NW. We've got about 1/3 of an acre which includes an allotment, 30ft polytunnel and a 100sq ft bird run for our poultry.

Currently we have 6 ducks (Indian Runner and Khaki Campbell), and 21 hens/roosters of varying breeds.

We raised turkeys for meat last year, and hope do to the same again this year. We've also just taken on a small flock of Welsummer hens, with the plan to raise and sell some pure-breed hens for a bit of extra cash.

We try and grow as much as possible and the polytunnel is great for that - it's like having a microclimate at the bottom of the garden!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Oh what a great idea. I'm in a small town/large village (you decide ;o) that's surrounded by fields and some fantastic countryside. I live in a new build though in the middle of this lovely countryside. Nice location but I hate my house. It's pretty and I'm grateful to have it, but I long for an old farmhouse/cottage with a great big garden. This is what we are saving and working towards.

In the meantime, I shall keep an eye out on this thread to hear the latest and get some tips. I always struggle with terminology having grown up in a city my whole life. Funny how I never once felt like I belonged and long for a small village location.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh to live in the country........ a total dream.....
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I live just outside Lauder, in Scotland. OH is a pheasant keeper, which is why I get to live in such a fantastic place!

I think that behind me is part of the Lammermuirs, where there is a grouse estate!!

x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I live just outside Lauder, in Scotland. OH is a pheasant keeper, which is why I get to live in such a fantastic place!

I think that behind me is part of the Lammermuirs, where there is a grouse estate!!

x
I keep telling you that you don't live far away from me The Lammermuirs is mostly made up of a mix of grouse/sporting estates and agricultural estates.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I keep telling you that you don't live far away from me The Lammermuirs is mostly made up of a mix of grouse/sporting estates and agricultural estates.
We should meet half way, up on the moor!

There's a possibilty a friend of mine might be getting a job at Tollishill Estate, which is the estate behind me, so if he does get it, I'll have to go exploring on the moors properly with him as my guide!!

x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Hope you all enjoy the new section.

Although I'm not qualified to participate (not being rural) I'll look forward to reading this section.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I live in the countryside! Rural Lancashire. Oh is a sort of gamekeeper (but more science involved!) and we have chickens but hoping to get turkeys and bees this year.

Isochick? Did I buy a Christmas turkey off you last year? If it was you, it was delicious! I have been meaning to email you and tell you but keep forgetting! Everyone said it was the nicest turkey they have ever tasted!

Helen
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >