View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kevwana
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2010, 09:50 PM

BARF diet-9 week old pup - any advice on portion size?

Hi, have a nine week old Malamute puppy, have decided to go with BARF Diet for him, seems to be going well so far, less poo's is always a plus.. Just wondered if anyone had any pointers on portion size, he gets a raw chicken wing for his breakfast (lamb shank every 3/4 days), minced beef/chicken/turkey for lunch and a puppy mush for dinner. Dont want to over feed him..
Any thoughts appreciated..
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2010, 09:51 PM
At that age I pretty much feed puppies all they want.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I also feed a mainly BARF diet to my dogs (both adults) but for a puppy, I would suggest that you research/ask your vet, about the expected weight gain for a puppy over the next 6 to 12 months & then regularly weigh your pup. This would obviously only be a guide as puppies put on weight at differing rates but at least you would be able to check the approximate rate of weight gain.

I don't know what's in the puppy mush, but you should also consider adding some raw, juiced up green leafy vegetables to the diet (both juice & pulp) & some offal, such as heart, liver, kidney now & again.

As well as chicken wings & lamb shanks (lucky dog) you could try pork ribs, oxtail, turkey necks, for a bit of variety.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 09:17 AM
All I will say is please research well and maybe ask your breeder for tips (bearing mind it will be different for all breeds). I had one raw fed pup (as per the breeders instructions) BUT I had a very detailed feeding plan written by a raw feeder of some 40 odd years.

You have to be careful with pups not feed too much calcium, which is obviously difficult to regulate in a diet based mainly around raw meaty bones.

"Excess calcium is potentially very detrimental to the development of a healthy skeleton. Unlike adult animals, puppies appear to have inefficient mechanisms for regulating how much dietary calcium they absorb from the food. This can result in absorption and retention of more calcium, especially when the dietary calcium is high(Hazewinkel et. al., 1991, Tryfonidou, 2002). The excessive calcium may result in skeletal malformation (Hazewinkel et. al. 1985). Excess calcium can also cause deficiencies in other nutrients, especially zinc (Wedekind, et. al. 1998 )."

http://www.lgd.org/library/Optimal%2...%20puppies.pdf
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I have been a raw feeder for nearly 2 decades, and I have raised several litters and puppies on strictly raw.

If you are not adding an excessive amount of bone only to the diet, you really can't overdo calcium.

A more common problem is not enough bone, so if you are feeding meat without bone or eggs without shell, you need to have a supplement on hand that is designed to balance that. I know most of you are in the UK, but here in the US I use supps from Nature's Farmacy. Their KA Calcium/mineral supplement is specially designed to balance meat without bone, 1/8 tsp per cup of boneless meat or egg without shell.

It is also important to include plenty of whole grains with growing puppies, especially those of larger breeds. During the rapid growth they really need those carbs.