View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Getting some ratties!!!! Need advice on handling.

Well, some of you might know I have been thinking about getting some rats for agggggges, well, an old friend of mine from school wants to rehome 2 boys that he doesn't have time for anymore so i'm going to pick them up tonight.

They are his g/f's and they haven't been handled much, she can't be bothered with them sadly. He said they don't bite they just squeal when you pick them up, so any tips on this would be great. They are still just youngsters, about 6-9 months old.

Any advice welcome. Ta! x
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh rat talk brill!!!

First thing i would say is give them a day or two to settle down.

Are they coming with their cage? After they have settled I'd make the cage a bit bare so they don't have lots of hidey holes and put your hand in with something tasty on it yoghurt babyfood soya dessert or similar. Hopefully they will get used to your scent as they lick it off.

Keep progressing until you can move your hand with them on it and then start putting your hand over them but not picking up. Then just hold them for a second and carry on from there.

If they scream don't back off I did that with one of mine and he was never handleable until he was an older poorly boy. Then I discovered what a sweet rat he was.

That's the way I did it with my latest girls and they are very happy to be handled in fact they like to hang out in my sweater while I'm on the computer.

If you have a tank/cage which is empty that you can put them in for handling that would be better yet.

There will be others along shortly with more rat experience than me though.

Enjoy Colours names and most important pics asap!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Oh rat talk brill!!!

First thing i would say is give them a day or two to settle down.

Are they coming with their cage? After they have settled I'd make the cage a bit bare so they don't have lots of hidey holes and put your hand in with something tasty on it yoghurt babyfood soya dessert or similar. Hopefully they will get used to your scent as they lick it off.

Keep progressing until you can move your hand with them on it and then start putting your hand over them but not picking up. Then just hold them for a second and carry on from there.

If they scream don't back off I did that with one of mine and he was never handleable until he was an older poorly boy. Then I discovered what a sweet rat he was.

That's the way I did it with my latest girls and they are very happy to be handled in fact they like to hang out in my sweater while I'm on the computer.

If you have a tank/cage which is empty that you can put them in for handling that would be better yet.

There will be others along shortly with more rat experience than me though.

Enjoy Colours names and most important pics asap!!
Thank you, very helpful! They are coming with their own cage and toys and things which I thought I would just completely leave for a couple days while they get used to the new smells, sights and sounds here.

I will post all about them when they are home and see if I can get a snap or two if they are inquisitive enough to show their faces for me.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Oooo how exciting! I would, as you say, give them a day or two before you handle too much but talking to them and offering tasty treats in the meantime so they get used to you scent and voice. Rats are far too nosey to stay shy for too long. You too wil have the rat scarf at the computer soon!

What colour eyes do they have???
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I've never fed through the bars of the cage as I was told it encourages nipping. Is that true or is it just an old ratwives' tale

Not saying you meant through the bars aliwin just jogged my memory
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Some good advice above Kel, another person who is very knowledgible is Zoundz but she rarely comes on here now, IIRC she's involved with the national association. I'm sorry to say I don't like rats ever since I read George Orwells book (That's his 1984 ) if you read it you'll never want to keep rats
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Lucky you. I have two dumbo rats and they make fantastic pets. Dont let the sqeaking put you of. One of mine still squeaks when you pick him up and he is quite happy to be handled! He even has a ticklish spot that he squeaks when you stroke!! Give them a few days to settle. Talk to them lots as they will soon get used to the sound of your voice. Mine sleep in their hammock at the top of their cage and i found if i picked them up when they were quite sleepy in that, they didnt panic as they were drousey. Although dont try to grab them if they are sound asleep as they may panic and nip. Im sure with time and patience, they'll come round and be great little pets!

my boys, Africa and Asia (hiding behind the corn!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone, I now have home two very shy and frightened little (well quite big actually!) boys. We are calling them Jack and James. I took a quick piccie of them through the door before I put them upstairs in the bedroom to settle as they were scared stiff after their journey in the car!

Can anyone recommend me a good cage, was thinking of getting a couple more later down the line, so would need to house 4, doesn't need to be anything flash but decent, this one they have came in is too small for my liking.

Here they are, will get some more pictures when they settle in.

random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Some good advice above Kel, another person who is very knowledgible is Zoundz but she rarely comes on here now, IIRC she's involved with the national association. I'm sorry to say I don't like rats ever since I read George Orwells book (That's his 1984 ) if you read it you'll never want to keep rats
Ohhh the year of my birth, will steer clear of it then! I have spoken to Laura briefly about having rats a while ago but always planned on getting some well bred ones from a breeder so just wanted some tips on introducing handling to these two now, I should have known better really, I'm a soft touch and I always end up going for the waifs and strays instead!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Pets at home do a good rat cage. I think the model is called the jenny? my two live quite happily in it but its big enough to accomodate more. Recommend a rat hammock though. They love them. I think rats like to sleep up high, makes them feel safer.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >