Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Sorry I didn't mention it but yes I have used a whistle and line and she is very responsive to it on a line even with another dog close. But unfortunately it didn't transfer to offline when playing.
Ditto with ours. They are faultless on a training line in ANY situation. Like little perfectly trained collies. Unlclip the lead and they instantly know that they get to choose whether to listen to you. If they aren't convinced you'll make it worth their while they quite often won't bother. This is why our trainer advises against letting them do anything that you can't recall them from. Over a long period of time you've got to condition them to believe that they never have the option to ignore you. But like you, I'm reluctant to deprive my dogs for long periods of time - years even. In the case of my dogs it would mean not letting them off-lead to run and play - ever - for a long, long time. Perhaps until they're too old and unfit to do anything naughty!

Also my experience is that if you deny a strong instinct you end up with a ticking time bomb. One day the dog just bolts big time and because it's a novelty you have ZERO control in that situation.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Really sorry I am going to reply in your post as it's easier...
Gosh I'm not sure I can remember exactly and because it varies depending on the situation but here goes...

I think what I would normally do would be to call her back, on her line and reward her with a click and a treat. On a lead the treats are just kibble. Off lead I mostly use chicken, roast beef, sausages.

Is that even if there is another dog and she is onlead? Do you use high value treats when she is offlead and there is no dog to be seen? One thing to do may be to use low value treats when she isn't doing anything amazing,so in her case when there are no dogs...and reserve the high value treats for when there are other dogs around.

When I call her back I use 'Tala come'. Other than that I don't think I use her name a lot, I seem to remember being told not to when training. We also practise an exercise from the class which is Look when another dog comes into sight and as soon as she looks click and treat. This is to allow her to do what she wants (look at the dog) and then focus on me.
That's interesting. It's interesting because you are allowing her to see the other dog, but then you are asking her to look just at you. From her point of view she knows there is a dog...and she doesn't want to look at you...she wants to watch the dog, this is where Mishflynn's idea of having her facing sort of away from you could help. For me it is the equivalent of someone showing me a dancing box of Lindt chocolates and saying to me 'you can go have one in a minute..you can help yourself..IF they are still there that is', that's how she is feeling about the dog she has seen, she wants to keep checking it's there, so she will get more and more worked up if you ask her to look at you. It's the right principle...she needs to see what is happening around her,that's a survival instinct, so a 'look' command just doesn't really work in situations like this. She needs to be able to see, but if she does lose the intense focus on the other dog...that can be rewarded. I think a 'leave' command works better? Does she have a good 'leave' command? When I teach a leave (with a clicker) I don't click in the end until the dog averts it's gaze from whatever I want it to leave....the clicker is fab for that so maybe that is something you could work on too?

I can always get her to sit but not to look at me and not to walk calmly towards a dog she knows. Well perhaps I could but it might take a few hours to walk a few yards.
Everytime you let her pull or bounce towards a known dog, you are teaching her she can ignore you because she gets what she want in the end anyway. Next time she pulls to get to a dog, ask her to sit everytime she pulls, if it gets to the stage that she lunges, tunr round, walk away and don't go back.
Don't get her to look at you (see above) just get her to sit and chill. Perhaps allow the other dog to approach her. Tango is much better in that situation.

And yes she gets to play with the dogs she knows although I have in the past kept her away from that particular field. In the morning we sometimes walk with a few dogs and if we have done that recently just getting her to walk to the meeting place without pulling takes considerable time.

Don't go to the meeting place then, if she starts to pull because she knows where you are going, walk elsewhere. She sounds clever, she will soon learn...Cosmo chances his arm like this occassionaly still
But once we are stationary she will sit calmly and with these particular dogs she doesn't shake. I think the dog that excites her most is the first dog she ever ran off lead with.
Bless her, she sounds lovely.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Is this something you would recommend doing when another dogs gets her interest?
Yes!!!!! defintally yes! you can be in control but calm, & she will soon learn that that means just Chill & Wait, You can Feed , tickle her Chin, Talk or Be quiet, Its fantastic!!!! & because shes betweeen your legs, you will "feel" her relax etc (or not)
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
In the case of my dogs it would mean not letting them off-lead to run and play - ever - for a long, long time. Perhaps until they're too old and unfit to do anything naughty!
I was saying today to a friend that maybe when she is five years old she may calm down a little. Well only three years to go
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Yes!!!!! defintally yes! you can be in control but calm, & she will soon learn that that means just Chill & Wait, You can Feed , tickle her Chin, Talk or Be quiet, Its fantastic!!!! & because shes betweeen your legs, you will "feel" her relax etc (or not)
I will definitely try that.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I won't breathe a word I will certainly try getting her to search for a toy. I have taught her to 'find' food which I scatter on the ground. But in order to do that I will have to take her somewhere new because she will be less receptive when walking where we have been recently due to expecting to play with dogs. This is what I meant when I said the more she plays with dogs the more she gets excited about playing with them. On the other hand I don't want to go back to keeping her away totally.
I have tried to make a toy special to her in the past with limited success.
I wouldn't stop her playing with dogs full stop...but I would be more picky about the situations when she is allowed to play. Don't always let her play in the same place, as there is then an expectation and before she even gets there she will be high as a kite and much less likely to listen to you.
That sounds a good idea. What stops the dog lying down and chewing the ball to get the treat out
yes...that's what I thought...Cosmo and Tango would so eat that in a millisecond.
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Ditto with ours. They are faultless on a training line in ANY situation. Like little perfectly trained collies. Unlclip the lead and they instantly know that they get to choose whether to listen to you. If they aren't convinced you'll make it worth their while they quite often won't bother. This is why our trainer advises against letting them do anything that you can't recall them from. Over a long period of time you've got to condition them to believe that they never have the option to ignore you. But like you, I'm reluctant to deprive my dogs for long periods of time - years even. In the case of my dogs it would mean not letting them off-lead to run and play - ever - for a long, long time. Perhaps until they're too old and unfit to do anything naughty!

Also my experience is that if you deny a strong instinct you end up with a ticking time bomb. One day the dog just bolts big time and because it's a novelty you have ZERO control in that situation.
The thing is noone is saying she shouldn't play...just that the situations she plays in need to be addressed.

I think in all honesty she has expectations of the places you take her to...she knows what is going to happen, you need to change routines,change the way you walk around the park, go in a different gate, keep changing direction, don't always walk with people,go to different places, sometimes pop ehr on the longline, sometimes not, sometimes just lead walk her on pavements, walk away fromt he park if she pulls you to it...if she doesn't get in there, she doesn'get in.

The best thing I ever did was stop saying 'I am going to.......' for a walk...and now I don't know where i am going until I get there because if I don't know where I am going, how can my dogs know? SOmetimes I will be half way across a road and go back, sometimes halfway down a street, sometimes half ways down a path in the park/field/woods......I keep them guessing all the time..it makes me much more interesting.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:31 PM
That sounds a good idea. What stops the dog lying down and chewing the ball to get the treat out
I expect some would. Mine are power chewers and can destroy the toughest of toys quickly. Also, they enjoy puzzle toys that release treats. But the ball trick just worked for us. If I remember correctly I started out showing her the treat going into the ball, giving her it to play with for a few seconds and then taking it back and getting the treat out for her. I guess she learned quickly that I could get it out faster than her. This is one of the most valuable tools we developed. The treat ball lets us achieve all sorts of things that a direct food reward doesn't.

If you ever get the When Pigs Fly book there's a chapter their that describes how to transfer a 'hot' activity (Something the dog loves) to a 'cold' activity (something the dog has no interest in). So in rough terms, your dog likes treats and likes to chase. You incorporate fetching a ball (for example in the way we did). Over time the dog learns to enjoy fetching the ball in it's own right. He gets every bit excited about that as he does chasing and eating treats. There might well be something in the book to help you splice the 'dog chasing' obsession onto something more manageable.

I'm convinced the theory would work for us, but haven't figured out how to get it to work in our specific situation.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I have never needed to use a line before so it has been a big learning experience. For months I used the line to give her a bit of freedom whilst keeping her away from other dogs. But I have since been shown that I can leave it on her while she plays with other dogs. I put it on her harness as soon as we get to the field and often keep hold of it if I need to stop her running off. Sometimes I call her back and let her go to a dog to play. Sometimes I let go of the line and let her sniff or play with a tuggy. Where we are alters her reaction to toys. Certain places she doesn't show much interest but other places she gets much more excited I really don't know why. Perhaps the quality of the smells.
ok you can utililze the line better than that, when you go out leave it on at all times for the next few months. Now you need to "load" it as such (same as you do with a clicker) & of course you do this at first so she can succeed each time. So you clip off lead some where quiet , as you walk along giver her a tug on the line & as she looks at you,"name, Come praise, sweetie" So its "tug,look,name praise ,sweetie" the tug is Always first, this should work well if you keep on working on your name response, Now do this when there are no distractions, youve got to put the work in where she can succeed,

Think about her reward when she gets to you, sweetie then what? does she like abit of Physical, rubbing her all over, slapping her bum etc, in a playing way!!!!

Ok so dogs are around, you try to already have her off lead but still on line, youve already done say 10 reps of the line on this walk, let her play, when you are ready move in & pick up line when its safe to do so "tug,look,name praise ,sweetie" if she dosent come reel her in .

Dont let her "go Wrong"

Then when this is going really well by this i mean, Tug & she turns on a sixpence, Start to put her name in as you tug, again practise alot of reps in a calm area. Once this is going 100% well, put the name in first backed up with tug, going well 100% of the time??? few months on?? let her off!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
ok you can utililze the line better than that, when you go out leave it on at all times for the next few months. Now you need to "load" it as such (same as you do with a clicker) & of course you do this at first so she can succeed each time. So you clip off lead some where quiet , as you walk along giver her a tug on the line & as she looks at you,"name, Come praise, sweetie" So its "tug,look,name praise ,sweetie" the tug is Always first, this should work well if you keep on working on your name response, Now do this when there are no distractions, youve got to put the work in where she can succeed,

Think about her reward when she gets to you, sweetie then what? does she like abit of Physical, rubbing her all over, slapping her bum etc, in a playing way!!!!

Ok so dogs are around, you try to already have her off lead but still on line, youve already done say 10 reps of the line on this walk, let her play, when you are ready move in & pick up line when its safe to do so "tug,look,name praise ,sweetie" if she dosent come reel her in .

Dont let her "go Wrong"

Then when this is going really well by this i mean, Tug & she turns on a sixpence, Start to put her name in as you tug, again practise alot of reps in a calm area. Once this is going 100% well, put the name in first backed up with tug, going well 100% of the time??? few months on?? let her off!!!!
sounds like a good plan to me!

What happens if she runs to the end of the longline? I'm guessing you need to hold onto it?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I understand what you are saying but it is more difficult to put into practice. I do try to vary where we walk but short of getting in the car and driving somewhere we are a bit limited as to where we can walk and I prefer to let her play with dogs we know so that I know the owners won't go wandering off with my dog in tow. Also not everyone likes to let their dog play with a big shepherd. Having said that I allowed her to go to a dog yesterday and the owner pulled it close and she came back when I called It was boring because it wasn't running.
She recognises her 'friends' from a long way away so it would take a long time to get to them on lead so I tend to sit her and make her wait and then let her go. Perhaps this is my big mistake.
She will leave in the house but not outside off lead. She once found a newly dead rabbit and wouldn't come back until she had eaten it. In the house she will sit with a biscuit on her paw until allowed to eat but I haven't managed one on the nose because she moves her head if I try it
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >