View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog trainer
New Member!
Male 

02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
hi i am a dog training instructor in manchester i train dogs in everything from pet to protection i would not advise anyone to knee the dog it is not the way to go about the problem have people come in the house with a treat held at waist level then thedog wont jump then make dog sit and feed if everyone does this the dog wont jump
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
If a dog jumps at you, and you raise your knee, any force is not controlled by the owner, so much as the dog's force as it jumps. If the dog jumps heavy/hard then it is more likely to be hurt than if it jumps slowly or gently.

Wys
x
I agree. Either way the dog is landing his chest onto something hard.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
i would agree, why use the knee at all (and i agree it doesnt necessarily hurt if you do it a certain way), when all you need to do is teach a sit?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
well- common sense is a huge factor...I dont put my knee out as I seem my dog jumping up-its lifted when he is already up and lifted to push him down-without using hands as if i did he would see it as a reward.
There is a fine line between a dog being in pain and uncomfortable...Im sure some dogs find their lead uncomfortable- does that mean it hurts them?...no.

dog trainer. wouldnt that just make most dogs excitable to see someone arrive as they know they have a treat for them.?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i would agree, why use the knee at all (and i agree it doesnt necessarily hurt if you do it a certain way), when all you need to do is teach a sit?
its not 'all' you need to do at all- cause if you just did that the dog would jump straight back up after being rewarded for the sit
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
well- common sense is a huge factor...I dont put my knee out as I seem my dog jumping up-its lifted when he is already up and lifted to push him down
Ah, I see that as a little different - that's not the same as what was suggest to Helen as far as I understand it...

(The way you describe it, I'd agree it would probably not hurt the dog at all, but is only serving to push him down )

Wys
x.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 03:25 PM
well- common sense is a huge factor...I dont put my knee out as I seem my dog jumping up-its lifted when he is already up and lifted to push him down-without using hands as if i did he would see it as a reward.
There is a fine line between a dog being in pain and uncomfortable...Im sure some dogs find their lead uncomfortable- does that mean it hurts them?...no.

dog trainer. wouldnt that just make most dogs excitable to see someone arrive as they know they have a treat for them.?
Presumably the dog is already excited by the mere act of someone arriving, which is why they jump up to say hello?
So why not just turn that reality to your favour by getting the dog to work for the reward of visitors fussing him by teaching him that if he sits for a visitor, he will get a treat?

Everyone gains.
the dog is receiving training which:
a) calms him down in the situation
b) teaches him manner
c) gets him to use his brain
d) and is part and parcel of the wider advantage of developing a socially intergrated dog

And people dont get jumped on.

Also, if you have your knee lifted up in the non-intrusive counter-active manner which you do so with yoda, in lieu of doing the same with your hands, how would doing so with one part of your body (your hands) be viewed by the dog as rewarding his action of jumping up with human touch, but using another part of the body (your knees), not be viewed be viewed by the dog as rewarding his action of jumping up with human touch?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:25 PM
meeting an exitable jumpy dog is really quite difficult to control with a treat, you have to get them to realise theres a treat there in the first place, turning your back and simply walking away and only giving attention when the dog has settled has a much better affect imo xx
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
its not 'all' you need to do at all- cause if you just did that the dog would jump straight back up after being rewarded for the sit
He would the first couple times, but not in the long term (as long as everyone does the same thing consistently).

Dogs learn by repetition and association.

After several examples of people telling him to sit when he jumps up, after which he is rewarded with a treat or touch, the dog would now have learnt that not jumping up equals reward.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:32 PM
like i said before- every dog is different- the treat and training doesnt work for my boy and neither does turning around and walking away.
By using my knee rather than my hands (to my dog) this is not rewarding whereas using my hands he would think its fuss time.

As zena is only 5 months(i think)It is a lot easier to train at this age rather than 20 months (in my case)
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »