View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2009, 03:10 PM
hey Lene,that exactly how i treat dogs with food aggesion,and there were a few..it never failed...some took a little longer, but it worked......phil
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Just to add that there may well have been a problem previous to you getting her but, I think the concentration on her food all the time is making her think it's really valuable and is teaching her the wrong thing...it's to be guarded.

Wys
x
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks again - Today has been fine, No treats & no kong!(except for trading a piece of artificial coal she pinched from the fire this morning for a treat!)
I am going to speak to the trainer at puppy classes next week anyway.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
I would sit in a chair wherever you feed her, put the bowl on the floor & slowly drop all her food in to the dish. you don't need to teach her you "control"food, but you are the source of food & are good to be near as it brings rewards.

If she comes to you you can treat & verbally or clicker reward her. Do a bit of armchair training, call her to you & when she comes treat her. I teach all my puppy recalls like this to start.

Your family need to be consist, do not go to her to stroke her, she could have been punished by someone going to her.

It really needs to be softly softly catch you monkey. one step at a time & a inner calmness is needed from the humans involved.

You might want to research T Touch techniques for pet dogs, including the use of the extender arms for touching an animal at a distance with a false hand & arm, so that there is no perceived threat from you being too close
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 05:06 PM
A good few days - , today I gave her a carrot & I went & sat on her sun bed in the garden where she sits - she came & sat on my knee, she let me stroke her & let me pick it up when she dropped it.
So I guess a carrot isn't that much high value. Her normal puppy kibble isn't a problem either.
Though she has some chappie in her evening meal & rushes it so I just walk past & ignore her with that as I get "the look" otherwise I haven't given her anything high value since last weeks episode.
I've also stopped approaching her & am making her come to me - this has helped hugely with my own fear.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Am so glad things are improving and your confidence is getting better, that will help enormously.
Keep up the good work
Elaine xx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Update - another few weeks on improving. (Seems to have taken forever!) The feeding from 4 bowls really worked - I can put my hands in, move the bowls, stroke her back & no tensing up. I'm moving back on to 1 bowl soon I think!
She had her first bone last week (was dreading it!) We were having fish & chip dinner on our laps when we gave her the bone on the rug in front of us so she kept going from bone to us where she got the odd tit bit thrown at her. After we'd finished I just sat on the floor near her not looking - and she came at sat by me with the bone, I stroked her & held the other end of the bone & all was well. I was dead chuffed!!
Minor hiccup yesterday when she wouldn't "leave it" on our walk - it was half a dead bird! She wasn't growling or anything, but wouldn't swap it & I wasn't going to touch it yuck! Eventually I started running and acting like an idiot - she dropped the bird and came to see what I was doing.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Way to go!

I do that with Ben... I never chase him, I run in the opposite direction... His eye is always on me... He knows I 'cheat'... lol
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Well Done.....hope this is the turning point for you xxxxxxxxxxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Well done on the hard work
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >