Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by collies09 View Post
i agree its important - especially if you would like a child friendly dog. From personal experience i have known the softest dog to turned nasty when he's stolen a childs food wrapper.

we have two collie puppies, they always "sit" and "wait" before there bowls are put down. Then during one of their meal times each day (currently 3 times a day), we use "leave" and take away their food mid way through, get them to "sit" again and return the food - they are very good at this now! And we generally stay with them at meals time at the moment - so they get their fair share whilst puppies - and tell them "good" etc.

Jo x
Why ? What does this gain you or the puppy ? Is this something you have done before ?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
surely taking the food away mid way through eating only reinforces the idea in their head that their food might be taken away so they have to defend it?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I'd have to agree with that too, why on earth would you want to take their food away from them when they're half way through it? What point are you trying to get across to them Put your hand in it by all means, stroke the dog, feed some of it to it, but to take it away would be quite insane to me The poor dog doesn't know what's going on, and might actually start having problems with eating in the future imo? No?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by collies09 View Post
i agree its important - especially if you would like a child friendly dog. From personal experience i have known the softest dog to turned nasty when he's stolen a childs food wrapper.

we have two collie puppies, they always "sit" and "wait" before there bowls are put down. Then during one of their meal times each day (currently 3 times a day), we use "leave" and take away their food mid way through, get them to "sit" again and return the food - they are very good at this now! And we generally stay with them at meals time at the moment - so they get their fair share whilst puppies - and tell them "good" etc.

Jo x
Hi Jo,

You are lucky that your dogs are OK with this - but speaking generally if you did this with most dogs you'd be increasing their guarding over their food.

It concerns me that people are saying what they'd do and not having any real idea of the consequence for other people who are not in their exact situation.

This isn't meant unkindly, so please don't take offence it's just that it really, really worries me to see such posts which might be followed by others who are reading this thread and who might think they will try to do the same, with possibly problems arising from it.....

Wys
x
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
For those of you that gave me so much advice it left my head spinning - this is where we are so far & hope I'm getting it right!
My general feeling was I shouldn't be messing or interferring with her whilst she's eating - If I did need to remove her food for any reason, she needs to be able to trust me.
Seems to be an improvement in the last 5 days, though I'm taking it very slowly.

I can drop food in her bowl bending down near her without growling - she's welcoming this though I only do it once a day.
I can sit near & she will come & get a tit bit - if it's cheese though she'll leave her food & follow me for more cheese! But then I can go back,pick up her bowl & offer it to her.

She will eat stuffed kong from my hand, then I put it on the floor and she will continue with it on the floor with me sitting next to her.
She will swap kong for a treat then I'll squeeze kong to get more near the top & give it back to her.

I have made no attempt to take any food from her & will continue trying to build her trust by swapping.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Sounds like your making progress. Well done xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Suzie well done, it sounds as though you are making progress, slow perseverance at a pace the dog can tolerate is the key to success.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi all - for those who remember I was having probs with Tilly growling when I went near her food. Well I tried the suggestions & am (or was )getting there slowly! She was quite happy for me to add stuff to her bowl/swap bowls/ eat from my hand/ walk past etc... She is still a little tense & rushes sometimes & my hand hasn't gone in the bowl yet.
She doesn't have any bones etc.. but she does have her kong most days & I think the problem is now coming from that. She will let me hold the kong, but once it's dropped & in her possession - she kicks off if I go near & look at her (ok if I don't look) anyway I only give her the kong if I'm going out or if I want to hoover I give it to her outside on the sunbed & leave her to it.
So today I just finished hoovered when she sauntered in & stood in front of me. I just said have you finished - she looked tense (I can tell that look) so I asked her to sit & give me her paw - which she did & is a sign she's relaxed, then I went to stroke her & she bit me. Not a play bite a proper agressive bite - it hurt so much I actually cried. I told her off & made her go outside & I ignored her for ages.
Then this evening I fed her sat on the floor with 2 bowls putting bits in the one she was eating from - No probs. Then I was feeding the cat at the worktop as usual & Tilly went for me agressively again.(my feet this time)
I'm actually now frightened to touch her or stroke her! Feel like we've gone backwards again or I'm doing it all wrong.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh dear! Poor you. These things are sent to try us! I feel for you. I hate these two steps back days. I used to get them all the time with poor Jackjack, and Kismet can be a different dog some days, we call it 'gremlining'... Some days if you feed her after midnight she just becomes a monster, possessive and weird. stiff and dark-eyed.. I know the look you mean, then all the toys and treats go back in the box and we have to start again!

You are doing the right things and you know what to do, but I'll say it here so you know you're not alone...

Tomorrow is another day. Dogs live in the present. they don't remember yesterday and they don't consider consequences. You're going to have to take a step back and meet Tilly again for the first time. Now.. this new Tilly, you know nothing about except she's very sweet to look at and seems to be a resource guarder... So. No more kong. No more treats and back to NILIF.. Nothing in life is free. Food must be earned and no treats.

Its one step forward and two back some days isn't it...

She'll do something adorable tomorrow.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Well I think Taz has said just about what I was going to say.
Just one thing I could add though, if you are feeling at all anxious while feeding Tilly then she may pick up on that. Other than that as Taz says, tomorrow is another day. My dogs can be little angles one day and bl**dy swines the next.
So forget today and start again tomorrow with no treats no toys no nothing unless she earns them.
Good luck
((((hugs))))
Elaine xx
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »