View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 02:00 PM
As a young one, she should learn pretty quickly that she can trust you, providing you don't do things to break that trust.

My two current rescue dogs came with food guarding issues. I did a number of things to improve the situation
(1) Every meal - always make the dog wait until you have put the food down and said they can have it (again something that is built up slowly - I make them sit then give the food. Then make them sit and stay for a fraction of a second before they are allowed to move to the food; then a bit longer).

(2) Frequently (until trust is built) standin by them and dropping food in the bowl by hand and feeding by hand

(3) Fairly frequently walking past when they are eating and drop food in the bowl.

(4) Ocassionally - when the bowl is empty but the dog is still by the bowl, get something really tasty in one hand, give this to the dog and at the same time, take the bowl with the other hand. Put a bit more food in the bowl and give it back.

We also usually feed them in the kitchen when we're making our own dinner or tidying up so we are walking around while they are eating. We don't usually move them while they are eating or take their bowls away, but they have learnt that us being close to them is not a problem.

They both learned pretty quickly and we don't have an issue with either of them anymore.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2009, 12:57 AM
food aggression is not good...claim the food as yours ...you bought it....this WILL lead to other problems you dont want....who runs the house anyway?are you fearfull of your dog.take it and show the dog who owns it and that should start before it hits the floor.....respectfully phil
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
As a young one, she should learn pretty quickly that she can trust you, providing you don't do things to break that trust.

My two current rescue dogs came with food guarding issues. I did a number of things to improve the situation
(1) Every meal - always make the dog wait until you have put the food down and said they can have it (again something that is built up slowly - I make them sit then give the food. Then make them sit and stay for a fraction of a second before they are allowed to move to the food; then a bit longer).

(2) Frequently (until trust is built) standin by them and dropping food in the bowl by hand and feeding by hand

(3) Fairly frequently walking past when they are eating and drop food in the bowl.

(4) Ocassionally - when the bowl is empty but the dog is still by the bowl, get something really tasty in one hand, give this to the dog and at the same time, take the bowl with the other hand. Put a bit more food in the bowl and give it back.

We also usually feed them in the kitchen when we're making our own dinner or tidying up so we are walking around while they are eating. We don't usually move them while they are eating or take their bowls away, but they have learnt that us being close to them is not a problem.

They both learned pretty quickly and we don't have an issue with either of them anymore.
Thanks - I will try these suggestions. She will sit & wait & I stay around. I've started offerering different bits, she's just in such a rush when I'm there! but will keep on with it.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by whippetwatch View Post
At the moment it will.

Ultimately you should be able to do it without a problem.
It should be a very rare thing though. I'd be really annoyed if my owner took my food away every now and then. Not sure if that was what you meant though

Wys
x
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2009, 02:38 PM
most people will place there dog bowl to the wall,i put mine out from the wall, it allows the dog to see you comming....
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Progress is slow - I've been adding bits to her food (from a distance) which she accepts & walking nearby to change her water That's as far as it gets - any closer & she kicks off -I'm willing to be patient, but she has now become possesive with her chew/puppy bone.
I think she's got to that point in the bone where some flavour is released & she really went for me tonight - normally she's fine about letting me take it. I distracted her with a chew & she went for me whilst taking the chew as well! I tore it into 3 bits. I made her sit first, she was quite agressive. I told her "No" firmly & ignored her afterwards & she sauntered off to bed!

Feel like I'm doing it all wrong?- It's difficult if she picks up a wrapper or something outside, trying to take it from her is a nightmare.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Swap - always swap - have two things to swap - put one down in front and roll the other away so she can see.
As she chases the second one, remove whatever it is that she had and put it out of the way. If you can ignore her with things that would be best - but I understand thatthere are some things she cannot have.

Keep persevering - you will get there.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 11:15 PM
This is something we payed close attention to with Monty when he came home. He was in a litter of 11 pups so he was a quick eater as he obviously had to when he was with the litter.

We started off by making him sit and wait after we'd put his bowl down and then waiting until we allowed him to start his food. Whilst he is eating we will occassionally stroke him and talk to him so he gets used to people being round him when he eats.

Slowly we worked from stroking him to taking his bowl away from him but again only occasionally so he didn't get frustrated. When taking away from him we would drop something extra into his food so he would hopefully associate his bowl being taken away with a good thing.

He's only 4 months old but he's very good with being touched whilst eating and having his bowl taken away but it did take time.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
HI,

These are all good suggestions and should work. You just need to give it a litle more time I think. As you've only had Tilly for 2 weeks, she's still learning to trust you but you will both get there in the end.

The idea of swapping things and putting tasty treats in the bowl and/or feeding by hand is how I calmed Zane down. He was a compelte nightmare at around 15 weeks and because I have a 4 year old, I had to teach him quickly who was boss asnd that he had no RIGHT to the food (or anything else). Now he knows that either myself or my Son can touch him whilst he's eating (although I don't allow my Son to remove the food) and he only ever gets food or treats if he's worked for it.
That's not to say that he gets no dinner if he doesn't prove himself. He has a 20-30 minutes walk approx approx 40 minutes before eating. During the walk I get him to do the basic obedience things you learn at training. So effectively, he's worked for his dinner.

My dogs NEVER get something for nothing and they now know (aside from the youngest I have) that EVERYTHING belongs to ME, not THEM.

GOod luck and keep going. It will all work out for you soon.

Laura xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
It's difficult if she picks up a wrapper or something outside, trying to take it from her is a nightmare.
Hi Tillymint , for things outside teaching 'drop it' is a very good thing to do. Here is a video which shows how to teach drop it, it may help you
...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvPna...eature=related
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »