Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
MY geography of Cumbria is poor but i'd suggest getting some one to one help from this guy, who is absolutely lovely

http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/
Carlisle is about 90 miles from Barrow in Furness.
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Good Morning All,
Avek started well today, sitting on the door step with me(me with coffee in hand and a pocket full of treats) he stood there with his head and shoulders out of the door and his bottom in. he barked at a passer by, so i told him NO and sat forward(sipping on my coffee) and ignored him. next time a person went by, he didn't bark so i gave him lots of praise and a treat. we sat this way for about 15 mins, every time Avek went to go in i called..."come see" to which he responed and came back....i gave him lots of hugs....after 15 mins i took my coffee to the gate and stood there sipping away...after about 3/4 mins..i called to Avek..."come see".to which he bounced of the step and came to the gate...i gave him a big big hug and a treat. he wandered around the garden a little haveing a good sniff....then...Dissaster...our puss cat Bunnie came out...Avek chased her round next doors back garden...ignoring my attempts to tell him NO..i think Avek has selective hearing....lol...i had to go round the neighbougher garden to retrieve him....he did not want to come back and i had to lead him by his collor...which was distressing for us both.....i thought maybe i should have keept him on a lead at the front door...but he doesn't like the lead, and i wanted him to feel confident...there was no way he could have got to the main road...our house is connected to 3 others that have a surrounding wall/fences.....when we got back to the house i told him..."that was Naughty..in your bed" which he did...i ignored him for about 15 mins..then said.."come see" and he came i gentley told him..."you mustn't be Naughty" and then gave him a quick cuddle. then we played *Find The Squeeky* he has a tennis ball that squeeks. i hide it about my person and in the cusions and the couch...ever time he found it he got a good boy choc...he really enjoyed the game...his tail wagged as he was looking for the Squeeky not just when he got the choc....i think all the advise the kind people on Dogsey gave us yesterday has really really help....many many thank All...this ends this mornings update on * Training River to help Avek*.......
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Brilliant news River. How about taking that squeaky tennis ball outside next time so that if he loses focus(cats etc) you can immediately start the squeaking to distract him?

The other command you could teach him inside is the leave command.This would then help outside if the prey drive kicks in!

I really admire your commitment, well done you.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi - thanks for the update today, its good that you are so determined to try.

A couple of things from todays experience that I would maybe do differently (and others may disagree so these are just my opinions ) Ok when you got to Avek in the neighbours garden, as annoyed and worried as you were it should have been a really positive experience for him, now Itotally understand that selective hearing can be frustrating and your natural reaction is to be annoyed llike say you would be with your kids but Avek won't/can't understand the concept of naughty boy.

So when you got him back IMO there should have been lots of play with squeaky toy and ball etc so that Avek thinks "actually mum is much more fun than chasing the stupid cat!!" Whereas just now he'll be thinking "I let her get a hold of my collar then was subjected to a scary nmarch back to the house then I was sent to my bed- sod that won't let mum get my collar again"

Jusyt now because he is so nervous and unsure any connection with collar lead etc should be positive JMO

How about a loose long lead on him in the house (I think someone else suggeted that) or when he is out in the garden, you can get lightweight ones. And maybe the first few times you put it on put it on at feed time so he asociates it with good things.

In another sense its almost positive he felt the confidence to chase the cat, shows he is getting bolder. Just keep as calm as you can and make any interactions positive.

Good Luck

ETA agree totally with Fudgeley about distraction and leave command
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
thankyou Fudgeley,
i am not yet sure how to teach him commands it is all still a bit hit and miss....Avek has learnt..."in your bed" which he does immediately...."Away"...which takes a few times of telling....."Gently" which he normally does(only a few lapseys) for taking treats....i am not sure how he has learn't these...but they are a credit to HIM...he is so so clever.....i just hope i don't let him down....
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
thankyou Benzmum,
it makes total sence about grabbing his collar to bring him back to the house...i can see now how next time he would not let me..thankyou for that...have you any advice on what i should have done and should do if he ends up in the neiboughours(please excuse bad spelling) garden again?please
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
If he ends up in next doors garden, you should make yourself the best thing in his world. Lots of squeaky noises and positive voice. He should respond to this and come to you. then LOTS of praise and rewards.This should also be linked with teaching the "come command".

Inside play lots of games with him, he sounds like he is really responding well to you. Try and get him to come to you bt luring him with the ball, add the word come and then reward. This will reinforce the command if you need to use it elsewhere. These are things they will teach at puppy class but there is no harm in beginning at home.If you could get to the library there will be lots of books on puppy training.You could also start new threads in the training section to get help with specific commands.
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:31 AM
thankyou for the links wysiwyg...
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
thankyou Fudgeley,
one of the things that concerns me is, the training lessons don't start till the 31st march...i am worried that i may inadvertantly allow bad habits to form.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
If he ends up in next doors garden, you should make yourself the best thing in his world. Lots of squeaky noises and positive voice. He should respond to this and come to you. then LOTS of praise and rewards.This should also be linked with teaching the "come command".

Inside play lots of games with him, he sounds like he is really responding well to you. Try and get him to come to you bt luring him with the ball, add the word come and then reward. This will reinforce the command if you need to use it elsewhere. These are things they will teach at puppy class but there is no harm in beginning at home.If you could get to the library there will be lots of books on puppy training.You could also start new threads in the training section to get help with specific commands.
What she said!!

You have to become the most interesting thing in the world to Aveck and far more fun that cat chasing!! Squeaky toys, balls anything that Aveck really likes excited happy voices and go overboard with the praise when he responds. It is hard as naturally you are annoyed he ran away but you don't want him to associate coming back to you or letting him approach you as a bad thing ie collar grabbing shouting or maybe even mum being angry and annoyed. Its got to be all about mum being great and mum being happy and mum being the best!!

Training commands is all about repetion and reward. Decide what words you will use and tell everyone else in the family too (everyone has to be consistent) make training part of a game so as Fudgeley says get the ball and ask Avek to "come" throw the ball and ask Avek to "fetch". Have a really exciting treat in your hand the smellier the better, let Avek know you have and throw the ball saying "leaave" (you may have to gently hold him the first few times) and try to keep him focussed on the treat then when he leaves give the treat and lots of praise. Decide the commands in advance though as consistency is key.

As Fudgeley says you will get taught all this at classes but a dog learning is just repetition for reward ( be that treats praise games or cuddles)
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >