Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:14 PM

Alone at Christmas

We may have a dilemma in the future whether to go away for Christmas because my parents have a house in Ireland but then my brother in law would be alone, and no way would I have that; I couldn't bear to think of him alone at Christmas, I know lots of people get depressed at this time of year. He is, of course, invited but he wouldn't go because he doesn't like the water as he gets seasick and we'd have to go by ferry because of the dog.

There aren't many of us as it is - other people we know have these huge extended families but we are very small. Wish we had lots and lots of family.

Has anyone/does anyone spend Christmas alone? It something I would find very difficult if, say, my parents and hubby were no longer around.

Are there organisations that hold Christmas days for single people?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:27 PM
awwwwww can he not fly and meet you over there?
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:29 PM
aww LS i wouldnt want to be alone at christmas either, and how nice of you to be so thoughtful
flying over and meeting up sounds like a good idea to me
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:35 PM
No - he doesn't drive either and doesn't live near an airport. I think we'd have him with us for Christmas and then maybe go to Ireland after that.

It just made me think really about what I'd do alone for Christmas and I found it a really sad thought. A couple of years ago a friend of mine was going to be alone so we invited her over but she ended up having visitors.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi My Uncle is alone for Christmas this year or would be but he's coming to ours couln;t bare to think of him being alone.

But there are organisations I am sure or you could go and help a charity like help the aged - or the homeless and make yourself useful. Volunteer for something.

Karen
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Could you invite your folks over to yours and all be together??
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah, good idea - helping charities would be a nice way to spend Christmas.

Good idea Mys - if they go permanently we'd alternate travelling over Christmas so one year they would come to us.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 12:35 AM
i think karl and i are alone together this xmas. we can't leave the animals. i will miss my family so much.

you are a very kind person to do this for your relatives.

xx
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
We may have a dilemma in the future whether to go away for Christmas because my parents have a house in Ireland but then my brother in law would be alone, and no way would I have that; I couldn't bear to think of him alone at Christmas, I know lots of people get depressed at this time of year. He is, of course, invited but he wouldn't go because he doesn't like the water as he gets seasick and we'd have to go by ferry because of the dog.

There aren't many of us as it is - other people we know have these huge extended families but we are very small. Wish we had lots and lots of family.

Has anyone/does anyone spend Christmas alone? It something I would find very difficult if, say, my parents and hubby were no longer around.

Are there organisations that hold Christmas days for single people?
This will be my first Christmas alone, as my eldest son wont be home as he is going redetails with the army, and my ex wants to spend christmas with our youngest son as they are having a big family christmas together at his mother's place which had always happen at our place with me doing all the work which I always enjoyed as I loved cooking. Last year I had the turkey on the spit, the ham in the webber and the pork and chicken in the oven, along with peas, beans,corn on the cob,roasted potatoe,sweet potatoe,pumpkin and parsnips, couliflower in white sauce, gravy, apple sauce and for desert chocolate log, and a pav it seems so funny that I wont be doing it or even involved and rather than have Matthew at home with me I thought it would be better for Matthew to have cousins around him so he can laugh and enjoy himself and be a kid. And No I have no other family both my parents are dead, So I'm going to Sydney for a couple of days and visit my parents plots and take flowers and just sit and talk as I haven't been in the 5 years that we've been in Tasmania
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Hiya

For the past 6 years, I've been having christmas with my dad and brother, and then we have christmas with my mum and stepdad the next day. If we didnt do this, we are sure our father would be sat alone.

And like you, I just cant have this.

We have decided that next year we are going to call our aunt and uncle and get some sort of arrangement for our dad to go there.. (He says he will, but we know him better...)

I want to spend christmas eve with my mum.. May sound sad and childish, but I do...

J
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >