Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Do your Dog/s like this weather?

Hi All

How lovely is this weather we are having? Me and OH booked Thurs, Friday, Monday and Tuesday off work a while ago, boy did we pick good days hey?

We have had a lovely time off so far - I will post some pics soon!

Just wondering do your dogs like this weather? Monty loves being in the garden when it is hot and is happy to lie in the sun, moving to the shade if he gets a little hot! - Infact this morning I was in the garden with Monty, Bryn (Bearded Dragon) and Donatello (Tortoise) - it is amazing it is even hot enough for them!

OH took him for an early 7am walk this morning so it wasn't too hot for him! Although this afternoon our friends invited us and Monty to the Dunes for a walk and a sit down - I was toying with the idea as I felt it may be to hot for Monty Moo but we took him for an hour (only walking about 20mins) and I took a MASSIVE bottle of water for him (none for us lol - just the dog) and actually he seemed fine - a little panting but he didn't decide to move into the shade so must have been fine!!

Infact Monty never seems to get that hot and hardly ever pants - I guess it is a Beagle trait!

Do your dogs like it much? And do you still take them out in the afternoon at the moment?

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:30 PM
It if is as warm as it is today, I personally wouldn't walk them at lunchtime/early afternoon as I feel it is uncomfortable for them. It is a bit difference if they have water to cool off in at very regular intervals but otherwise, no. IMO it is generally more pleasant for them to walk when it is cooler as they don't sweat through the skin like we do.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear you and Monty had such a fun day

My Molly is the same, she's spent all of today being a menace in the garden (She has been sneaking up on the sunbathing frogs, I think they want the rain back now so she'll go away ) although I think the heat was getting to her a bit by the afternoon so she came inside & lay down in the kitchen.

We've been walking later (Setting out just before dusk) because it's been so hot which has actually been really nice. No one around for miles & it's just the right temperature
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Yes and no
My two dont do the heat, but they are loving the long early morning walks and the beach and woodland walks I am finding for them
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Our hairless love the hot weather and would lay out in it all day if we allowed them to..we have to keep topping up their suncream.
We walk in the cooler parts of the day so early morning, late evening..so its abit cooler for them, my jrt doesnt bother about it much.
but our powderpuffs, and our old lad the italian spinone can not cope with it and will lie inside on the cool flooring, drinking lots and lots!
So apart from the hairless babies, i wouldnt say ourd enjoy it much we are lucky to have a massive tree at the end of our garden that puts atleast half the garden in shade.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 11:18 PM
The two white kids dont mind in the slightest as long as they can run and run in the garden, have to be careful with them being white though and let them out in batches. I dont take them out in the very hot weather, garden is huge. When it cools down they can get out again.

As for Rosie, she is just exhausted and its a constant battle to keep her cool. Windows and doors open and fans on constantly for her. It is so hard on her with the larangeal paralysis never mind her other problems
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Lana loves being outside so much that I think she would put up with any weather. When we're in the park I try and stay under the trees when throwing her ball for her and don't throw it as often as usual as she ends up panting too much. I also don't keep her out as long as usual and take a travel water bowl and a bottle of water for her.

I've been going into the garden with her, at least there she can stroll about or lie in the sun whereas at the park she's on the go the whole time. Sadly because we're up on the 2nd floor and it's a shared garden I wouldn't leave her out by herself. Badly missing my old house and garden thinking how great it was for Lana.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Dahlia HATES this weather! With her big thick coat, she looks miserable in the summer and spends most of her time laying on the cooler floors. She much prefers the really cold temperatures. If it's cold enough to snow, it's great; and if it IS snowing, especially a blizzard, she's as happy as can be!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 05:15 AM
half and half, didn't walk millie at all yesterday as she really struggled with it, the others were in the garden all day and out late last night
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 07:06 AM
mine hate it Poor dogs were dragged to a charity show yesterday and were fighting for every bit of shade and bowl of water! But strangely enough didn't enjoy the hose down we gave them....ungrateful .

They don't sleep as well on a night either..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >