View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seek
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2016, 04:02 AM

Anyone have experience w/Gensol DM testing?

Hello all! I have been searching for a corgi that will not be affected by DM. I Have been talking with a breeder and he sent me the results for the DNA testing that has been done on parents and pup. The way he explained it to me is, both parents are carriers, but the pup only got one copy of the gene. However, Gensol report for the pup leaves me to question how they could know if the pup only has one copy of the gene. The parents were tested with Vetsonic. The results are both abnormal, DM carrier. The pup was tested by Gensol, there is a section about the results based on inheritance...

Explanation of results based on inheritance:
SCORE____RECESSIVE________DOMINANT
A________ Clear/Normal_________Clear/Normal
B ______Carrier/Not Affected__Carrier/Affected
C_______ At Risk/Affected________At Risk/Affected

His result was a B. If both parents are carriers than it would be dominant correct? Which means he will be affected? I cannot find any help on Gensols website.

Any clarification is much appreciated Thank you!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Hi - good luck in your search for a healthy Corgi pup.

It is my understanding that if both parents were carriers then pups could have a mix of results ie: 25% clear + 25% affected + 50% carriers.

http://www.laboklin.co.uk/laboklin/s...p?testID=8158D

If your pup has been tested to only have one copy of the gene associated with DM then he/she will also be a carrier (but not affected) so that is fine, as long as you are not considering breeding at a future date. If you do take this pup and wish to breed in the future, then the only responsible thing to do would be to breed to a clear dog/bitch.

Hope that makes sense.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2016, 01:06 PM
According to the KC the pups would be 25% affected 25% clear and 50% carrier, you'd only know which was which by testing them.
Any breeding producing affected puppies is unethical and best avoided.
https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/med...ed_dog_web.pdf