View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Would you agree breed, temperament and level of drive dictates how to train a dog?

Or is it a case of one way (positive only training) suits all?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am afraid I am going to disagree. I think where positive only methods work that is absolutely great and if the dog needs no correction at all, fine. However, there are lots and lots of dogs out there who would stick two fingers up at you if you only trained with positive methods. I know, I have had one I think you need to tailor your training to suit the temperament and drives of your dog. Many hard dogs need some correction as well as reward, distraction etc etc.

I also do find it a little patronising to say that "if you really really understand dogs, the cause of behaviour and the science behind changing behaviour you would never use anything but positive methods".

I occasionally use correction on my dogs, not that often to be honest, but occasionally. I have trained my dogs to a high level of obedience as well as the collies to herd. My dogs are my best mates, they are well trained, well behaved and happy ambassadors for their breed. I am happy using occasional correction and don't agree that because of this I don't understand my own dogs. JMO
I'm sorry you find it patrionising but i believe it is true. Once people start shouting at dogs, using other corrections methods, as with children, dogs will wait for that correction. e.g. if you shout at a dog or a child often enough it becomes ineffective as they are used to it and you have to shout louder!

I can't understand why people stick by it and say that it is right for their dogs.....if that is so how come so many trainers and behaviourists have succesful businesses working with dogs of all sorts of breeds, ages, background, abilty, intelligent and get the right results! Correction is often abused, over used and not needed!

If it was needed to deal with dogs then i guess the man i work for has just had a great deal of luck over the 20 odd years he has been working with very difficult dogs both in peoples homes and in rescues.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Would you agree breed, temperament and level of drive dictates how to train a dog?

Or is it a case of one way (positive only training) suits all?
I believe all of those things have a bearing on the dog and the training that needs to be done, but i still believe it should be postive.

If not possitive then what? Negative!!
Correction? What do we mean by correction, a check with a half check, a check with a choke chain, repeating the commands louder and with a gruffer tone? A shove? A hit?

I don't agree with it! It's not a case of won't try won't see. When i got my first rescue i went to a dog training club where such methods were used, we didn't stay long...When i learnt about behaviour and postive methds it all made sense and there is research and evidence to prove it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I am afraid I am going to disagree. I think where positive only methods work that is absolutely great and if the dog needs no correction at all, fine. However, there are lots and lots of dogs out there who would stick two fingers up at you if you only trained with positive methods. I know, I have had one I think you need to tailor your training to suit the temperament and drives of your dog. Many hard dogs need some correction as well as reward, distraction etc etc.

I also do find it a little patronising to say that "if you really really understand dogs, the cause of behaviour and the science behind changing behaviour you would never use anything but positive methods".

I occasionally use correction on my dogs, not that often to be honest, but occasionally. I have trained my dogs to a high level of obedience as well as the collies to herd. My dogs are my best mates, they are well trained, well behaved and happy ambassadors for their breed. I am happy using occasional correction and don't agree that because of this I don't understand my own dogs. JMO

I have to say.. I agree, correction will be needed at some point or another, its getting the balance right.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have to say.. I agree, correction will be needed at some point or another, its getting the balance right.
But surely it depends what you mean by correction, if you mean a counter command, ignoring and with some dogs training disks (not thrown at the dog but training the dogs before hand and using them properly). Unfortunately it seems that correction often means shouting, tugging, yanking etc....which i disagree with and don't think it ever has to be used.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
But surely it depends what you mean by correction, if you mean a counter command, ignoring and with some dogs training disks (not thrown at the dog but training the dogs before hand and using them properly). Unfortunately it seems that correction often means shouting, tugging, yanking etc....which i disagree with and don't think it ever has to be used.
I dont personaly use training disks, i see no diff in shouting or shaking disks
I use my voice a lot
most of my dogs are trained off lead.... liberty training...
so tugging doesnt really come into it
I do use a lot of food....
I guess the correction depends on what the dog is doing...what kind of training... I dont tend to use the same corrections all the time.. im more instinctive
I dont go into it with a set plan...just kinda go with the flow of the dog..
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I'm with Moobli & Shona.

My dogs aren't bad, particularly as they are both rescues with history, but I do correct from time to time.

For instance, Hoki used to be a bit of a madam with Stumpy - through 'jealousy' (I know this is a human trait, but you get what I mean) she went through a phase of picking on her. When she was about to start, she was incredibly focused on Stumpy. Happy voices, tempting treats, toys - none of those would unfocus her.

A very sharp shout at her works (though I have also thrown a glass of water over her when she was setting herself up to have a go at Stumpy and completely ignoring me)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I dont personaly use training disks, i see no diff in shouting or shaking disks
I use my voice a lot
most of my dogs are trained off lead.... liberty training...
so tugging doesnt really come into it
I do use a lot of food....
I guess the correction depends on what the dog is doing...what kind of training... I dont tend to use the same corrections all the time.. im more instinctive
I dont go into it with a set plan...just kinda go with the flow of the dog..
I have seen training disks used terribly and don't use them as i cannot use them as subtly as the man i work for does. When the dog is getting tuned into the disks they are thrown down once, and only once, after that he uses them with a barely audible chink that other dogs would not even notice (as long as they have not been disk trained). The noise is so quiet.

He would never use rattle cans, throwing keys down etc, the chink blanks the dogs mind marks non reward and a positive request is put in straight away and lots of praise given.

Like i say i have never seen anyone else use them this subtely....and he very rarely uses them.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I think any correction thats used over and over doesnt work
eg disks...
you can make far more sounds with your mouth..
I make all sorts of silly noises... Brrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbbb being one.. I swear sometimes as well lol
as said.. it all depends on what the dog is doing, its worked for me and I have an apparently stubborn breed...
I have met Hoki and Stumpster so can say hand on heart
they are really nice well behaved dog,. given they were rescues with issues.. the training would be harder... and its worked for them
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I have seen training disks used terribly and don't use them as i cannot use them as subtly as the man i work for does. When the dog is getting tuned into the disks they are thrown down once, and only once, after that he uses them with a barely audible chink that other dogs would not even notice (as long as they have not been disk trained). The noise is so quiet.

He would never use rattle cans, throwing keys down etc, the chink blanks the dogs mind marks non reward and a positive request is put in straight away and lots of praise given.

Like i say i have never seen anyone else use them this subtely....and he very rarely uses them.
but why cant he just use his voice? that would leave his hands free... and if he does drop the disks.. then he would need to go and pick them up....do that would create a break in the training.... I just dont get it
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »