Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Nothing short of an awesome post, so well put and comprehensive. Every word echo's my own pov.
Yep, got to agree with that. I think nickboy has put so eloquently into words, the whole CM phenomenon and why he sparks such extreme comments from some.

I must admit though, I too have cringed at the presenting style of his TV shows. I just hate the Americanism, now unfortunately gaining ground in UK documentary type programmes, of turning every possible situation into a drama.

But as said, this shouldn't cloud anyone's judgement of the guy himself.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Fair comment, I accept we all see things differently. But, did he get the child to sit by the dog and get her to stroke it whilst it was obviously not happy?

Did anyone else see it? If so did you think that was what he did?

Wys
x
I dont think that cesar put the child in danger in this episode and it was a lesson in the child ( we are talking teenager if its the one i am thinking of ) being more assertive with the dog who was being possessive of the mum in the house and the space around her

apologies if ive crossed two episodes here
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
no he didnt put the dog in that situation - it was something the dog had started doing - the farmer drove the tractor to demonstrate what the dog did and it charged at the tyres as the farmer was driving along. It was An Aussie heeler if my memory serves me well and it was a working farm dog that the farmer wanted to have the run of the place and it was this one quirk he wanted to but couldnt eradicate, it was then that cesar suggested the e-collar which the farmer and his daughter said they had already tried. I think the point was they had already opted to use this as their only solution without stopping the dog doing its other activities and had attempted it before - I think Cesar brought the element of timing and correcting the dog as soon as it showed the first glimpses of reacting.
Im not sure if CM suggested it or whether it was what the owners had tried but couldnt use correctly, either way it was more a display of how if you are going to use an ecollar to do it properly.

Im trying to find the clip of the possesive wee dog on you tube, no luck so far.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
I must admit though, I too have cringed at the presenting style of his TV shows. I just hate the Americanism, now unfortunately gaining ground in UK documentary type programmes, of turning every possible situation into a drama.

But as said, this shouldn't cloud anyone's judgement of the guy himself.
I agree with that - the cheese levels could be turned down several notches
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Im not sure if CM suggested it or whether it was what the owners had tried but couldnt use correctly, either way it was more a display of how if you are going to use an ecollar to do it properly.

Im trying to find the clip of the possesive wee dog on you tube, no luck so far.
ill look tonight again at it god bless SKYplus
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
Thank gawd someone does. My dogs don't think that they are being bribed, they don't feel used or blackmailed. I think they think I am a bit crazy, but they love WORKING for food.

Sorry Jess, I don't mean to pick on you.... I find most of your posts brilliant. But I've got to point this out as an example of blatant anthropomorphism.

I doesn't help at all in our understanding of dogs, to attribute human feelings to them.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I have a question, and I promise it's not to "start".

Quite a lot I see CM supporters use the disclaimer on CM's programs as an excuse/reason for people not to follow his methods at home, as if that makes what he teaches on his shows "safe".

If, and this is where I'm trying really hard to word this nicely, people who are his supporters believe that CM's work shouldn't be implemented at home, how come so many of them are reporting that his methods worked on their dogs?

The disclaimer is so often used as a "It's okay, he's not recommending you do it at home, so his program's okay", then how come we have so many followers that aren't professional trainers?

This worries me a bit, to be honest.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM View Post
I have a question, and I promise it's not to "start".

Quite a lot I see CM supporters use the disclaimer on CM's programs as an excuse/reason for people not to follow his methods at home, as if that makes what he teaches on his shows "safe".

If, and this is where I'm trying really hard to word this nicely, people who are his supporters believe that CM's work shouldn't be implemented at home, how come so many of them are reporting that his methods worked on their dogs?

The disclaimer is so often used as a "It's okay, he's not recommending you do it at home, so his program's okay", then how come we have so many followers that aren't professional trainers?

This worries me a bit, to be honest.
I understand your pov.
But I dont think on here we have used the disclaimer as an excuse or to say its "okay" in your context.

Im gonna refer back to Nickyboys post "4) The programme issues warnings every time CM demonstrates his methods that should the viewer wish to emulate these techniques they should consult a professional first - this is very important because it transforms the show into a showcase for his abilities/techniques -THATS ALL - by the way I liked watching Steve Irwin's Crocodile Hunter it shows his methods.
5) Any advice given by anyone is objectional, from raising kids to driving, anyone who blindly follows everything put in front of their eyes should have question marks over the level of responsibility they are allowed to have."

But it certainly seems many non professionals profess to the effect of following his methods. But maybe not the application in practice? To apply CM logic and ethos (for want of a better word) can reap great benifet without having to physically undertake actions the show advises against without a professional.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Sorry Jess, I don't mean to pick on you.... I find most of your posts brilliant. But I've got to point this out as an example of blatant anthropomorphism.

I doesn't help at all in our understanding of dogs, to attribute human feelings to them.
lol - but I still say they love training, well I see it as 'love' they see it as getting an easy bit of food! Hay they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth their while, they would say ''no way- I ain't no sucka'' ok there we go with the anthropomorphising again. Damn that's a long word, thank gawd dogs don't have to spell.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I understand your pov.
But I dont think on here we have used the disclaimer as an excuse or to say its "okay" in your context.

Im gonna refer back to Nickyboys post "4) The programme issues warnings every time CM demonstrates his methods that should the viewer wish to emulate these techniques they should consult a professional first - this is very important because it transforms the show into a showcase for his abilities/techniques -THATS ALL - by the way I liked watching Steve Irwin's Crocodile Hunter it shows his methods.
5) Any advice given by anyone is objectional, from raising kids to driving, anyone who blindly follows everything put in front of their eyes should have question marks over the level of responsibility they are allowed to have."

But it certainly seems many non professionals profess to the effect of following his methods. But maybe not the application in practice? To apply CM logic and ethos (for want of a better word) can reap great benifet without having to physically undertake actions the show advises against without a professional.

Thanks for the reply Callum - I was a bit worried about making sure my wording was okay on that question (phew!).

I do understand where you're coming from, and would agree that to someone who found him inspiring, the *ethos* rather than the methods might be what has inspired, but I do often see people say "We tried what he did and it worked for us", then when the age-old argument arises, placate people with the disclaimer. As if it's only for people other than them *lol*.

Of course I'm not including anyone who has actually employed a trainer to teach them those methods (although personally that's not my cup of tea either).
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 70 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 66 > Last »