View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:16 PM
also, another point... what about the dogs and horses involved in the hunts?? they get injured, and even killed... is that fair for them?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
also, another point... what about the dogs and horses involved in the hunts?? they get injured, and even killed... is that fair for them?
Yes the Hounds, antis are responsible for 99% of their injuries. Ive seen them lured on to railway tracks, across main roads, hit with sticks, kicked and threw poisoned meat, all this from animal lovers too, incredible isnt it.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ah, now you're talking. You refer to "english" ... would that be English Spot? Mittens was an english spot, and he was absolutely gorgeous ... and free

We clearly have different ideas about what is the best way to raise a pet, that's fine, at least we can argue nicely!
Yes I am talking about the English Spot/butterfly/old English whatever you want to call them

And yes we clearly do.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes the Hounds, antis are responsible for 99% of their injuries. Ive seen them lured on to railway tracks, across main roads, hit with sticks, kicked and threw poisoned meat, all this from animal lovers too, incredible isnt it.
God that makes me feel sick, where I use to work there was a few hunts that went on, and a railway around there too, and I know someone who was on one of the hunts when one of the hounds got hit by a train, they had to hear it as it didn't die instantly, it was a few seconds, maybe a bit more before the noise stopped, but I can imagine them seconds feeling like hours when you are helpless like that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I don't see why being a herbivore is so special, maybe I am on my own in this one, people have destroyed habitats of animals, and therefore I feel that we should help control the balance of animals, I mean otherwise Foxes would starve to death if the number of rabbits went down. Also if the Romans never introduced the rabbits then there would be less food about for the Foxes, and really this includes pheasents too, as they are from India I believe, so there would be less Foxes around, so although we never introduced Foxes we have had a vast impact on their lives from other animals being introduced, so does that not affect your whole nature thing?
It is a myth that foxes need rabbits to survive. They eat relatively few, probably because they are quite hard to catch if healthy, and foxes in any case are mainly omnivorous, eating a diet of mice, shrews, berries, they love corn cobs, beetles, worms, rabbits of course, fruits such as apples they love ... I once saw a young fox delicately picking a juicy blackberry off a bramble ... birds including pheasants, even nuts I understand they will eat. The foxes were here a very long time before the Romans introduced the rabbit, and survived very nicely thank you.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:25 PM
so why not just go for a nice ride, and go whichever way takes you fancy... i dunno, i just dont get why people cant just have fun going on a nice trek rather than go on a 'hunt'. there are other ways to get excitement, that doesnt involve chasing animals around the woods and fields.
Because "a nice ride" is restricted to the same bridleways and tracks you use day after day. A day's hunting is an opportunity to ride on private land as part of a large group, galloping around jumping everything in your way. It's a huge buzz and for us it had absolutely nothing to do with killing foxes or hares, it was a chance to really test out your skill as a rider and the ability of your pony.

When you are selling a pony, if it has been hunted it adds value because it tells you the pony is talented, bold, brave and controllable in very testing circumstances. A "nice ride" isn't in the same league. We had competition ponies which were used for show jumping and eventing. We took them hunting because it was a vital part of their education.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
God that makes me feel sick, where I use to work there was a few hunts that went on, and a railway around there too, and I know someone who was on one of the hunts when one of the hounds got hit by a train, they had to hear it as it didn't die instantly, it was a few seconds, maybe a bit more before the noise stopped, but I can imagine them seconds feeling like hours when you are helpless like that.
Yes and they always wear masks too, why is that? I mean if they are doing no wrong and all.......
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Yes, they do, but they love what they do ... else they wouldn't do it.

If my old Dutch Warmblood could have talked, he would tell you that he LIVED for hunting. As for the hounds, very few of them get injured or are killed, and it is in their blood, they have been bred for centuries to chase the fox ... whether you are pro or anti, you cannot blame the hound for his total desire to chase and kill foxes.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It is a myth that foxes need rabbits to survive. They eat relatively few, probably because they are quite hard to catch if healthy, and foxes in any case are mainly omnivorous, eating a diet of mice, shrews, berries, they love corn cobs, beetles, worms, rabbits of course, fruits such as apples they love ... I once saw a young fox delicately picking a juicy blackberry off a bramble ... birds including pheasants, even nuts I understand they will eat. The foxes were here a very long time before the Romans introduced the rabbit, and survived very nicely thank you.
They may eat more then rabbits, but they will eat the ill and young of them aplenty, they would also eat dead ones, and ones with myxi, they are scavengers as well as hunters so they will eat everything. But we also don't know what condition and how many there were before the Romans came either, as none of us were there.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes and they always wear masks too, why is that? I mean if they are doing no wrong and all.......
Could you not pretend that you think that they are foxes when you've got a gun?? Some people are unbievable though.
Page 60 of 94 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 > Last »