Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Show jackets!

I need a new show jacket, green being favoured as (a) it goes with black and liver spotted dogs and (b) it's Irish!
Having looked around the shops, can't find anything suitable (but shops very limited here) so I thought I would try the equestrian websites. I watched the Nations Cup at the Dublin Horse Show last week and the Irish team had just the thing! a neat jacket that does up and won't blow around when I run.
No luck! Show jackets are either black or navy, obviously the Irish team gets them tailor made! Plus the horsey ones seem soooooo expensive!

Any suggestions? I am not that good with a needle, buttons and turning up trousers about my limit.

Gill
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Have you tried to find a seamstress or even a gents tailor, they should be able to produce what you want. Trouble with shops if 'green' is not in then you will not get 'green'
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2005, 04:08 PM
try an online store Gill, it may be usefulmaybe ask someone you knwo that is needle handy to possibly have a go at tayloring you something.
Erm will have a look to see what i can find on the net
Best wishes
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Did I read somewhere that green is unlucky? Maybe you could go for orange which I believe is also featured in the Irish flag
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Green is only unlucky if you think it is and have you never hear of the luck of the Irish, it must have something going for it.
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2005, 04:42 PM
lol very true thordell spotsmad take no notice whatsoever of me your dallies are stunning you don't need luck! Try all the online stores your bound to find a nice jacket from one of them!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 05:54 PM
To be honest over the years I have spent a small fortune on jackets and suits, now I stick to mostly george at asda, you can get an half decent suit for under £30.00 and at that price you can fling them when they get mucky from dog baits etc

Mo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Ah! Mo if only, depends on what size you are
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Did I read somewhere that green is unlucky? Maybe you could go for orange which I believe is also featured in the Irish flag
Orange (gold to be accurate) and white are the colours of the Roman Catholic church and I subscribe to the original Ireland, pre RC church influence, when the flag was all green. Most Irish use green as the "National" colour. Plus I have an orange jacket! but it has no front fsatening and flaps all over the place. Hides my big ar** though!

To be honest over the years I have spent a small fortune on jackets and suits, now I stick to mostly george at asda, you can get an half decent suit for under £30.00 and at that price you can fling them when they get mucky from dog baits etc
errr..... I am overseas... no ASDA's here unfortunately.... used to buy "George" a lot when I was in the UK though.

I like the idea of a tailor, there is one in town who is about 80 and does all the small jobs for the families like turning up children's school trousers as the mothers don't know how to sew any more! I might see how much he would charge, probably not a lot as the town is still in the 1950's in many respects except for prices being in Euro now!!!

Any suggestions for internet shopping would be gratefully received - the tailor in town might be booked up for the next few months and I am off to Munster in 10 days....

Gill
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Ah! Mo if only, depends on what size you are

yeah I suppose, but the suit normally go from about size 10 to a 20 i'm an 18's- 20 dependant if its the top or bottoms (slightly top heavy) so they are great for me

Mo