Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrittanyQueen
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2005, 02:36 AM

Juniors

Junior showmanship. What are the requirements?

I have a brittany. She is spayed. Is she now allowed?
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi you can still show a neutered dog but must send for a neutered dog form from the kennel club and fill in the details and return.
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/fo...eddogsform.pdf
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Admit that I now get a bit confused with all the Junior competition there is now, is the one where it is the dog that is judged or is it when the handler is judged. Either way you can show spayed dogs although for one I know the dog must belong to you or a member of your immediate family.

Archer would know all the answers, as her daughter is involved with showing.
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Are you from america by any chance?

Just the way you have called it "juniors" and "junior showmanship" is the american terms for handling. In which case then anything you are told here will be compleatly different!!!

You can show a speyed bitch. To enter handling classes the dog must be enterd into a breed class at the show.

Handling classes are done by age (6-11 & 12-16) (america is done by ability and wins)

It is advisable to find a ringcraft that specilises in junior handling. here you will learn all the techniques you will need. There are also 3 junior handling books on the market. 2 are extreamly out of date (1990) but still have relative points in them which are useful. i have just re-read them. the other still quite new (2002)

If your breeder shows they will be able to help you with showing and the britney's!

Good luck. If you have any questions then feel free to e-mail me at roxanne@roanjora.co.uk, if you are from america still e-mail me and I will put you in contact with handlers from over there who will be able to help you.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Sorry Roxanne, forgot about you, guess it is because you always sound so sensible and adult; may be that is something else handling dogs in competition teaches you
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Don't worry, I'm not normally on this site!!!

Owning dog's I think teaches you to grow up. With the responsibility etc!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Admit that I now get a bit confused with all the Junior competition there is now, is the one where it is the dog that is judged or is it when the handler is judged. Either way you can show spayed dogs although for one I know the dog must belong to you or a member of your immediate family.

Archer would know all the answers, as her daughter is involved with showing.

I think you mean the YKC stakes...the handler must be a child but the class is judged on the dog not the handling.
You then get the JHA classes and YKC handling classes....which are obviously judged on the handler not the dog
Ice_Queen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
I think you mean the YKC stakes...the handler must be a child but the class is judged on the dog not the handling.
You then get the JHA classes and YKC handling classes....which are obviously judged on the handler not the dog
And just to add to and hopefully clear up any confusion (if any)...Dogs need not be living with/owned by handler or immidiate family for JHA handling or YKC handling, only for YKC Open stakes, which is Judged purely on the quality of the dog and not judged on the handling.

Aaahhh isn't this confusing.
BrittanyQueen
New Member!
Female 

27-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Oh, thank you so much. I think I will look into that.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Ice_Queen
And just to add to and hopefully clear up any confusion (if any)...Dogs need not be living with/owned by handler or immidiate family for JHA handling or YKC handling, only for YKC Open stakes, which is Judged purely on the quality of the dog and not judged on the handling.

Aaahhh isn't this confusing.
Thought it was something like that, as I am never likely to be a junior again I have never bothered to try and unravel it all. Was puzzled when they added the class where it is the dog that is judged as a junior is able to compete in the breed classes but expect whoever dreamed it up had a good enough reason for starting it, if only to confuse us old hands as to which competition is which and what the rules are. Good job my club does not have junior classes or I would have my nose in the Red book the whole show.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >