View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Allie & Russ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2005, 10:56 PM

Paddy SBT - to show or not to show? who nose!!!

Hi all,

Our little fellow is now approaching 6 months (and is a real character). We bought him solely as a pet with virtually no intention to either breed or show him. The question I have is, if we were to show him at all would he be penalised due to the pink inside his nostrils? (photos attached - hopefully!). We've been spectators at a couple of shows now and I would love to take part although I think Allie may disagree

As he's our first, we still have a lot to learn and would love to hear your opinions / advice.

The above pic was taken a few weeks ago and it may have gone a bit more black since.

This pic was taken 3 days ago and is "as is"!

Thanks in advance

Russ

PS I won't be offended by any comments. I'd rather know the truth than make an r-se of myself
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Wow he's cute!
Not too sure about the SBT breed standard but I doubt he'll be penalised for the pink in his nose!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:28 AM
There is no such thing as a perfect dog, all dogs have faults and some faults will stop the dog ever getting a good place but something like pink inside the nose should not be too much of a problem. The standard does call for a black nose but as the dog is shown on the floor and is quite short I can't see many judges being able to see up his nose.

Best way to find out is to take him to ringcraft classes, take him to shows and then you will learn how good he is and all about the other faults a dog can have, after about a year or so you will know a lot more about your chosen breed and have met the breeders of the sort of dog that you admire. So if you find your dog is not going to be ideal for showing then you will be in a position to buy a puppy that is a show prospect as you will know the right people and will also have more idea of what you are looking at.
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2005, 12:33 AM
hi
I have and show two staffies, You shouldnt be penalised for pink inside the nostrils, Its only if the outside of the nose is pink or pink in places and even then you would be docked five points for a fault on the head and two points for else where.

If you want to show you georgeous little fella go knock yourself out, and enjoy yourselves, you'll get the bug and won't be able to stop.

Enter him for the puppy stakes and the Judge will give him one of the following gradesExcellent,Good Potential and Potential). The Judge's wont tell you where your dogs faults are but you can ask other staffie owners at the show and read between the lines.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Hi Leilah, we don't judge in that way in the UK, judges do not fault judge, they don't take points off for anything nor do they grade as they do on the continent and in Ireland. From a class in the UK the judge is asked to place from the dogs present a number of dogs in the order of merit. Usually 5 dogs are placed and the awards are from the class winner down to the 5th place we call very highly commended.

The only time that a dog’s fault of this type will be taken into consideration is if it interferes with the overall type of the dog or if the judge needs to choose between two dogs showing the same quality then the one without the noticeable fault will be the one who gets the higher place.
leilah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Sorry, I assumed it would be the same every where i didnt intentionally mean to mi-inform anyone
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2005, 11:28 PM
go for it you have nothing to lose if nothing else its a day out with the pup.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
The "grading" is not an Irish thing specifically and would not happen at IKC shows, but it is a feature of international shows under FCI rules, which Ireland is now a member of, being a separate country to the UK.
Gradings for puppies are "Very Promising" and "Promising", gradings for Adults are "Excellent", "Very Good" and "Good". Only the top grade for each age group is considered for the CACIB and Green Star. Yes, we get CACIBs and Green stars at the same show - very confusing!!!!!
There are no Veteran or Puppy Stakes at a FCI show, they are scheduled as classes within each breed.

Gill
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 10:47 AM
He is absolutely gorg!!the spit of my candy in fact!!