Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
i found phoebe pulled so much more in her harness as it was comfy and across a strong part of her body. But phoebe was a constant puller and dislocated my wrist once
This is what I'm worried about with him because if he'll learn to pull into something as uncomfortable as a head collar, he may think it's his birthday on a harness and I may end up face first being dragged along like a cowboy in a spaghetti western.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I used this for Ollie Bernese very heavy dog 11 stone. That was due to his illnesses that made him a very weighty dog not for want of trying to reduce his weight.

He walked brilliantly till he saw another dog then it all went haywire I use to use a double ended training lead on a casual walk I didn't need to clip it to the other side of the harness but the option was there if needed which sometimes we did and it worked very well for us. Or you could clip to the harness and the collar also very good.

http://dogtrainingharnesses.co.uk/de..._the_walkezee/
Thank you. Interesting design. I do have a incling that should I go down the harness route I may end up with as many body harnesses as I have head collars. Woe is me, the owner of a dog that is smarter than I am!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
This is what I'm worried about with him because if he'll learn to pull into something as uncomfortable as a head collar, he may think it's his birthday on a harness and I may end up face first being dragged along like a cowboy in a spaghetti western.
i have phoebe on a head collar with a double ended lead that is attached to a normal collar aswell. I dont walk her on the head collar well i dont hold on to it but its what i grab when i need the extra bit of control when shes kicking off. She still goes mad as if its not there but it does help me keep her in one place. I have a dogmatic but an adjustable one . for me its made a huge difference, i didnt find any harness that was of any help when she kicked off she would almost get the better of me every time, now with the head collar i win the battle of wills that goes on everytime
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I've used about every anti-pull device there is with a very nervous Alsatian/Malamute cross. He wasn't a problem puller, but when he did pull, there was no way I could manage him. I only outweighed him by a little bit and he was enormously powerful. Some harnesses were useless. Some were awful (one harness rubbed a hole in his back that required vet treatment after only one walk). None were effective. Not a single one.

Hands down, in my experience, the best thing ever is the Halti. I realise you've probably tried it and not found it up to scratch, but if you learn how to use it properly, it's great. You might want to give it another try. I've had to adjust a couple of mine-- sew fleece around to cushion the snoot; you might want to do this with a big-snooted dog like a TM. The Halti does not choke (the Dogmatic does and its clips break; I would avoid it).
saharazin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Even with the help of trainers, I was never able to desensitize my dog to a headcollar. I own several.

I also have used about every no pull harness available. My dog doesn't pull but she is reactive. When she goes over threshold, I'm history.

So I use a back up dog walker and try to keep my dog under threshold. Not the best solution but the safest.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Again, I recommend the Halti. It can take time-- quite a lot of time, but if you keep at it, short, rewarding sessions, you can get there. Don't be discouraged if she hates it. Keep trying, with treats and encouragement all the way.
In all of my experience, the Halti is the best. The best control for me and the best non-hurty for the dog.

I know it's hard but just keep trying-- you can acclimate her to the headcollar.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I've heard good things about this one...it's fairly new on the market.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaugY0l77-8
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Horrible, it sits on the shoulders and the lead pulls across the shoulder and chest.

This is where I disagree with a mechanical means to prevent a behaviour, it prevents it not due to training but because the dog is not comfortable.

Also this has been designed by an obscure group which have demonized head halters yet are happy to use slip leads.

Bizarre.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't think there are any devices that really stop pulling, and i live in fear that a front attach harness could do some real damage if a dog really lunged, and got pulled round too quickly.

I also think if a dog wants to pull a dog is going to pull! and can often learn to evade devices.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 02:31 PM
i've found with the webbing harnesses that they tend rub opie's skin raw when he pulls, and the front leading fleece ones just pull to the side so they are useless too. i've just ordered him a fleece lined head collar to try but no doubt he'll learn to pull on this too. at least i'll be able to control him though if i need to while we work on his llw. i'm determined to master it before the end of summer
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >