Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:16 PM

Split thread about business and business ethics

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I don't think it's absurd to 'bash' what is essentially a celebration of a culture that I detest. As I said I am repulsed by the greed of such a large number of businesses.

It would sadden me if decency, honesty, integrity and care and consideration of others and our planet (and all its inhabitants) wasn't enough to inspire young people to go out there and 'make something of themselves'. And I bet whatever they'd make of themselves would be more agreeable than what Dragons Den and The Apprentice might produce!

PS - we're totally off topic - we should start a thread in the off-topic section to discuss this. If anyone wants to continue with this fork - please do so and post the link to it here so others can follow it if they want to.

Apparently you have never observed school kids engaged in projects inspired by these programmes that you detest. I know of kids who were failing at school, were bored and disruptive - then they get given a stimulating project, something practical, and for example as an incentive find out they are going to present it TO e.g. a member of the Dragons' Den Panel.

These same kids then start using their brains, working hard, finding interests and skills they never even realised they had.

And you 'detest' that???

If you want to see an illustration of 'greed' then hey, there are plenty - but personally I would not class The Apprentice and Dragons' Den as valid instances of this.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Apparently you have never observed school kids engaged in projects inspired by these programmes that you detest. I know of kids who were failing at school, were bored and disruptive - then they get given a stimulating project, something practical, and for example as an incentive find out they are going to present it TO e.g. a member of the Dragons' Den Panel.

These same kids then start using their brains, working hard, finding interests and skills they never even realised they had.

And you 'detest' that???

If you want to see an illustration of 'greed' then hey, there are plenty - but personally I would not class The Apprentice and Dragons' Den as valid instances of this.
I don't detest young kids being inspired. I detest that they 'need' some sort of celebrity incentive to 'use their brains and work hard' and how that is somehow a good thing.

It's a huge topic and one that is not just about programs on the television - but culture, education, upbringing, diet etc.

I'll move our last two posts into a new thread - as we've ventured so far off the original topic now... and I can see it could get very long
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't detest young kids being inspired. I detest that they 'need' some sort of celebrity incentive to 'use their brains and work hard' and how that is somehow a good thing.

It's a huge topic and one that is not just about programs on the television - but culture, education, upbringing, diet etc.

I'll move our last two posts into a new thread - as we've ventured so far off the original topic now... and I can see it could get very long
What would you prefer they needed? Children from impoverished backgrounds often don't have the luxury of good, personal role models. Surely as long as they're inspired and as a result go on to do great things, that's all that's important? Everyone has different learning styles, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Where do you get the idea that kids NEED some sort of celebrity incentive to use their brains and work hard?

Are those that appear on such programmes the ONLY kids in the country that use their brains and work hard?

I do not think so.

An opportunity has arisen and it has been grabbed with both hands.

Sometimes people NEED a helping hand, if they live with role models who do nothing but live off the dole, smoke, drink, take drugs and have multiple partners.

These kids are not to be despised but to be applauded for pursuing their dreams!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What would you prefer they needed?
I would prefer they were brought up around altruistic influences, not selfish and greedy ones.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
These kids are not to be despised but to be applauded for pursuing their dreams!
I don't despise the kids - I despise what's become of society and that they're in that position to begin with.

Aspirations like everything else should be judged on what they are - not just for having them! (Some children are being shaped to aspire in becoming martyrs for example!). Tell me what you aspire to do and I'll tell you whether I want to applaud them or not.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:35 PM
I would prefer they were brought up around altruistic influences, not selfish and greedy ones.
I hate to say it Azz, but you need to move into the real world!

Some of the kids round here are one of a dozen siblings, their parents exists on benefits, smoke, drink, swear and don't give a damn about their kids. If The Apprentice inspires these kids to get out of the Hell that is their lives then I'm all for it tbh!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I hate to say it Azz, but you need to move into the real world!
Lol I think I will have to agree with you there

Some of the kids round here are one of a dozen siblings, their parents exists on benefits, smoke, drink, swear and don't give a damn about their kids. If The Apprentice inspires these kids to get out of the Hell that is their lives then I'm all for it tbh!
It's a terrible shame. Goes back to selfishness - people shouldn't have children if they are not prepared to do right by them.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:55 PM
It's a terrible shame. Goes back to selfishness - people shouldn't have children if they are not prepared to do right by them.
A lot of the parents round here have kids so they can get a house - the more kids you have the higher the housing need and the higher you go up the housing list. Sadly many of the school girls, when asked what they want to do when they grow up, say "have babies" because that's all they know.

Really what the Government needs to do is grow a pair of balls and stop all this benefits nonsense, if the money stops rolling in these "parents" will stop having children, but that's another thread entirely.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-06-2011, 12:27 AM
...but that's another thread entirely.
Well I'm not gonna dare you to start one

*runs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >