Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Litter mates?

When I fell in love with Kiara at the rescue she was part of a dumped litter

There was only the two of them, Kiz and a male but they were totally different, I can understand the smaller and not as chunky as Kiz but . . . .

How different can you get!!!!!!! Kiara's the black one with a medium fluffy coat and the brown one had a short almost staffy like coat. Both were the same age at the time of the piccie and had been in the rescue for a good couple of weeks so they'd had time to fill out a bit

How is it possible for them to be so different??
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2011, 08:53 PM
More than one father ...
2 different sperm from different fathers got lucky ...lol
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 08:57 PM
We met a mother/son couple the other day, the mother was a small terrier/shih tzu type - the owner had rescued her and then a week later (thats how brill the rescue was) she gave him 5 more. The son he had with him looked like a small black and tan JRT - where as the mother was blonde and fluffy...

This is why people say you don't know what will be... genetics are unique.. but as Murf said - a dog can be caught by two males - sometimes more..
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 09:03 PM
You should have seen the variety in my cousins dogs first litter. 4 of the pups looked like border collie pups, one was the spitting image of the JRT next door, 3 looked like Rottie pups and then there was Wolf who looked like a little white and brown rat. We figured there were several dads to the litter. The mum was a Rottie mix.

The JRT looking one looked exactly like a JRT as an adult. One of the Rottie looking ones grew to be absolutely enormous, about the size of a St Bernard but looked just like a Rottie.

And this is Wolf as an adult.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Someone I know had a litter of border collies x beardie collies. Half looked just like borders half like beardies, you wouldn't have guessed they were from the same litter.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Someone I know had a litter of border collies x beardie collies. Half looked just like borders half like beardies, you wouldn't have guessed they were from the same litter.
Ooh I met a BC x Beardie.. she just looked like a Spaniel x Collie to me.. Not a hint of Beardie in her IMO..
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 10:35 PM
all the labradoodles i have seen look nothing like either a poodle or a labradoodle they look more terrior like and are very large only saw one with a poodle coat but again it was a big fellow and still only a puppy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
When I fell in love with Kiara at the rescue she was part of a dumped litter

There was only the two of them, Kiz and a male but they were totally different, I can understand the smaller and not as chunky as Kiz but . . . .

How different can you get!!!!!!! Kiara's the black one with a medium fluffy coat and the brown one had a short almost staffy like coat. Both were the same age at the time of the piccie and had been in the rescue for a good couple of weeks so they'd had time to fill out a bit

How is it possible for them to be so different??

Because they are x crossbreeds

And this goes to show the unpredictable outcome of breeding{ two or more} breeds together
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2011, 09:47 AM
One of my customers bought a Yorkie x Maltese. Her dog was like a blue and tan Maltese and her best friend has the litter brother who is half the size and cream. The breeder had told her it was a new breed that would soon have kc recognition.