View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Don't beat yourself up, my ex civil partner and I adopted a cat, who we were told was spayed, she obviously wasn't, and we were quite shocked a week later when we walked out onto the landing and there she was with a litter of kittens. I'm glad you're not aborting them, there are lots of kittens in the world without homes, but there are also lots of pups too, yet that doesn't stop more people breeding.....at the end of the day you've made a mistake and now you're being responsible and looking after them! I'm 100% sure you won't have any trouble finding lovely homes for the kittens! Are you a member of catsey? xxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Just caught this thread.......mistakes happen hun, none of us are perfect. This happened to my sons cat last year he was going through a tough time with one thing and another and before he knew it there they were. She has been done now and the 2 kittens she had are homed nearby and thriving. Hope it all turns out ok and the kitts are healthy.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Whats meant to be will be hun.... mistakes happen All I can say is make the best of the situation, spoil her rotten, try to find great homes asap and then take loads of piccies so we can see the cute kittens
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Although not a fan of early neutering is that a possibility before homing the kitties? That way you know they can't be bred from?
Becky
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys, i appreciate all your support. Shes doing well at the moment, getting fatter and eating me out of house and home. Found all 3 cats huddled together on Mia's bed yesterday, which is very unusual as she normally prefers to be on her own, maybe the others can sense she needs looking after.

If the worst happened and i couldnt find homes they will stay here, i have 2 possible homes lined up and we will keep one so thats 3 taken care of already, no way i would give them to a shelter, so they will all have a home no matter what!

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Although not a fan of early neutering is that a possibility before homing the kitties? That way you know they can't be bred from?
Becky
Dont know tbh Becky, i always thought the youngest you could neuter was 6 months but i could be wrong
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post

Dont know tbh Becky, i always thought the youngest you could neuter was 6 months but i could be wrong
Cats can safely be neutered at 3 months - that`s the norm for ferals in round-ups, when assessed to be that age or more they are done and if beyond taming are re-released. I`ve been involved in feral round-ups for rescue`s in the past and have seen it for myself, through looking after them post-op and doing the release. They have always been absolutely fine.

Three kittens I kept myself from a couple of round-ups as they were borderline for possible taming, [ litter mates stayed with me until tame enough for homing ], and my three have been with me for years, no ill-effects whatsoever from being spayed at that age.
Those which are re-leased are usually let go between 24 to 48 hours post op, [ and surgical glue is used rather than sutures to minimise stress by facilitating early release as they don`t have to be kept confined until stitches would usually be taken out 7 to 10 days later ].

As a result of hands on experience, all subsequent very young rescue mogs of my own have been done at three months as well, [ except one who was`nt well enough for any op until she was much older, she was high GA risk ].

Cats can have a heat even as young as 4 months old so 3 month spay really is the only way to guarantee no pregnancy accidents as most young`uns are going outside at ages when they can get caught, especially because of silent heats which are not uncommon for a first heat in cats

If anyone`s own vet does`nt do pre-6 month spay for moglets, contact your nearest CPL and they should be able to help point you in the direction of the vets they use who are highly experienced in young mog neutering and will be able to allay any worries for owners about it
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Thank you Patch, very informative
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Thank you Patch, very informative
Pleasure
I`m sorry it`s of no help for your girly but for the babies perhaps its a consideration for you
Many pedigree cat breeders do keep kittens until they are 12 weeks old, so worming, jabs, and for kittens definitely not of breeding quality, everything can be done before they are sold, so if you do the same for the littl`uns you will never have to worry about them being caught out
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Pleasure
I`m sorry it`s of no help for your girly but for the babies perhaps its a consideration for you
Many pedigree cat breeders do keep kittens until they are 12 weeks old, so worming, jabs, and for kittens definitely not of breeding quality, everything can be done before they are sold, so if you do the same for the littl`uns you will never have to worry about them being caught out
Yeah, and i think i kinda owe to mum too
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Well I wouldn't worry, one of those things. Happened to me as well with one of my previous cats, there was always something else needed paid for first. Then we had kittens on our hands. Not that I minded, they all got good homes (one has returned along with my stepdaughter when she moved in with us) and I love having kittens around, they are just sooooo much fun!

In addition, as soon as the babies were weened we got mum spayed.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6