View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:38 PM

How long did it take you to buy/sell your house?

Just wanting to know different experiences really. I'm due to buy this Summer (July/August) and I have two differing opinions on how long the whole process would take.

My sister (mortgage advisor in her working days) reckons I should start viewing now as it can take a minimum of 3 months. My Dad (he knows everything! ) reckons I should hold off as I could exchange as quickly as a few weeks!

So experiences please, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do really!

Fank Yoo!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 10:54 PM
My mum put hers up for about 6 months, never sold it, took it off and decided to stay there!

I'd say certainly months and not weeks by the time everyone gets their asses in gear both ends but are you moving out or selling an old place? As it would be a lot faster if you weren't having to wait to sell and old place. A lot of it also depends on the people you are buying from. A friend of mine had to wait 6 months after she'd put in an offer before the owners got into gear. She'd sold her old house in that time and had to stay at her parents 1 bed bungalow with her b/f, a collie and a dally and her parents 2 dogs while she was waiting!

I'd start viewing now as dates can be easily worked around in most cases if there is a definate sale at the end of it people are quite flexible and it might take you a while to find a house you like anyway but then you would have to be prepared if you found a place you liked and it got snapped up while you were waiting.

Sorry bit of a ramble there as i'm usually the one being dragged round by anyone and everyone looking for a new house for some reason! I'm still to bloomin' find one of my own!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
My mum put hers up for about 6 months, never sold it, took it off and decided to stay there!

I'd say certainly months and not weeks by the time everyone gets their asses in gear both ends but are you moving out or selling an old place? As it would be a lot faster if you weren't having to wait to sell and old place. A lot of it also depends on the people you are buying from. A friend of mine had to wait 6 months after she'd put in an offer before the owners got into gear. She'd sold her old house in that time and had to stay at her parents 1 bed bungalow with her b/f, a collie and a dally and her parents 2 dogs while she was waiting!

I'd start viewing now as dates can be easily worked around in most cases if there is a definate sale at the end of it people are quite flexible and it might take you a while to find a house you like anyway but then you would have to be prepared if you found a place you liked and it got snapped up while you were waiting.

Sorry bit of a ramble there as i'm usually the one being dragged round by anyone and everyone looking for a new house for some reason! I'm still to bloomin' find one of my own!
Thanks for that. I'm moving out of my parents so have no house to sell, which is why I was a bit apprehensive to start now, but I think I'll start viewing now, can't do any harm!

My Sis has told me to go and see a mortgage advisor to see what I'm allowed to spend (could do with that for every day life! ) but the thought just terrifies me!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
When I bought this house, I was in no chain, and the people selling here were in no chain, and it took about 9 weeks
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
We 'looked' for months just to get clued up before the sign went up on our old house in 1998. Just a couple of weeks later we had an offer just under the asking price.

We were lucky as we knew that the people living in a house we'd viewed and loved were all set to 'bridge' their next move. That enabled us to put a 'just below asking price' offer in on the house we now live in which was accepted.

I'm pretty sure the sale/purchase was all (moving dates aside) concluded within a few weeks.

That said - it can vary so much. It should be easy to find out how long on average propreties in a particular area stay on the market.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Thanks for that. I'm moving out of my parents so have no house to sell, which is why I was a bit apprehensive to start now, but I think I'll start viewing now, can't do any harm!

My Sis has told me to go and see a mortgage advisor to see what I'm allowed to spend (could do with that for every day life! ) but the thought just terrifies me!
lol! That's why i'm still here, they will tell me £20k and i'll end up with a tent on a football pitch!

Just get it over and done with and then at least you know which houses to look at, they will be gentle with you!

Your bank are probably your best bet just for a consultation and a guide to get an idea as they go through all of your incomings e.t.c. with you and it is easy as they have your info right there on the pc. Natwest are supposed to be very good, my mum sings their praises anyway! Then you can always shop around later when you are ready to buy.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
When I bought this house, I was in no chain, and the people selling here were in no chain, and it took about 9 weeks
Holy cow that is quick! What took so long? If you don't mind me asking!

Originally Posted by Phil View Post
We 'looked' for months just to get clued up before the sign went up on our old house in 1998. Just a couple of weeks later we had an offer just under the asking price.

We were lucky as we knew that the people living in a house we'd viewed and loved were all set to 'bridge' their next move. That enabled us to put a 'just below asking price' offer in on the house we now live in which was accepted.

I'm pretty sure the sale/purchase was all (moving dates aside) concluded within a few weeks.

That said - it can vary so much. It should be easy to find out how long on average propreties in a particular area stay on the market.
Another different experience then! At the mo I would say houses are staying on the market for a good couple of months as prices are falling (albeit very slowly) and people are not wanting to drop their prices.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Holy cow that is quick! What took so long? If you don't mind me asking!
They said that was about average!
Paperwork etc lol
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I guess there is no harm in looking, what type of place you looking for?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I guess there is no harm in looking, what type of place you looking for?
Here are a couple of places I wouldn't mind seeing.........

House 1

House 2

House 3

House 4

Especially like the 3rd one!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >